USN Cruisers

CEYLON220
3rd February 2007, 15:18
While serving out in the Far East aboard HMS Ceylon I made friends with lads from the USS St Paul,this was in 1959, can anyone out there tell me of the service of this fine cruiser from that time 1959 until the present day,I can`t see her being kept in a Reserve fleet todate as she was also in the Korean war also although I`m not sure if she saw action in the 2nd WW,any information would be appreciated.

Pusser509
3rd February 2007, 20:33
There is a web site on USS St Paul at:

http://www.mindspring.com/~gtakisatlcom.net/history.html

Like most WW II vintage vessels, she is unfortunately long gone.

Sea Toby
8th February 2007, 21:22
The heavy cruiser USS Saint Paul was the star in John Wayne's movie In Harms Way. Another heavy cruiser USS Salem played the German pocket battleship Graf Spree in a British movie The Battle of the River Platte.

Rolf-guenter
14th February 2007, 11:44
For the Fate of US Navy ships look at www.navsource.org.
Regards
Rolf-guenter

John Rogers
14th February 2007, 19:12
Ceylon, I have a picture of the St.Paul in my gallery, I took the picture while in Hong Kong in 1949. I also saw her in action firing her guns against coastal targets in Vietnam in 1966.
John.

CEYLON220
23rd April 2007, 16:40
John, is there any chance of you putting those pictures of the St.Paul back on this site,I would like them for my album,I had some great times with some of the POs from the engine room branch, if I remember (this is me going back to 1958/59 )a couple of our Marines stayed aboard her and forgot to disembark when she sailed from Hong Kong, one of our MLs picked them up after the ship signalled that they were still aboard ship. She was a fine looking cruiser and looked the part of a fighting ship, do you know if they have an Association for the ship ?

Paul UK
23rd April 2007, 18:41
For the Fate of US Navy ships look at www.navsource.org.
Regards
Rolf-guenter

This is a brilliant website recommend to all full of great pictures if you are in to the USN.

Paul

John Rogers
23rd April 2007, 19:48
Ceylon, the pictures are in my gallery.just help yourself to the pictures.
John.

CEYLON220
24th April 2007, 20:01
Thanks Paul for that info- great pictures all round of the St Paul,as you say this is a great site not just for USN personnel but for anyone interested in the navy of all nations--- thanks mate.

CEYLON220
24th April 2007, 20:08
Also thanks to you John but seeing this web site of US Navy warships which shows some great shots of the St Paul both in Korea and in peace time,I did`nt know that the famous Big John filmed "In harms way" aboard this ship, you learn something every day.

www.navsource.org

JJE
10th January 2008, 01:57
A little late but here's a picture of the St. Paul from my website:

http://usscollett.com/images/photos/r_rusho/cruiser.jpg

CEYLON220
10th January 2008, 21:06
Never too late JJE, I made one or two friends aboard that fine ship and not forgetting the grub they shared out with you, great picture mate, what use to facinate the lads from my ship when we were berthed along side of her at Hong Kong was the USMC guard at the gang plank, he would swing his rifle around like he was juggling it every so often, I think we were all waiting to see him drop it which he never did---smart a*** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Rogers
10th January 2008, 21:19
They do that with their rifle as part of the marine drill team.

John.

CEYLON220
10th January 2008, 21:31
The drill was very impressive John, a lot more style than our "Order arms-slope arms-present arms" just to name a few, was this practised in any of the other US services or just the USMC?

John Rogers
12th January 2008, 14:18
All branches of the services have drill teams that compete against each other.
John

jers
18th March 2008, 16:54
Uss St paul was scrapped at terminal Island in California around 1980

R58484956
18th March 2008, 17:51
Greetings Jers and a warm welcome to SN from a member in the south of England. Enjoy the site and all that goes with it. Bon voyage.