From SN Guides
SN Directory entries can be significantly enhanced by including images (photos, drawings etc.). The Directory software has its own image database that is separate from the SN Gallery. You can include links to images in the SN Gallery – which means you will jump to the image when you click on the link. But if you want the images to appear directly in the entry you need to upload them separately. Having done this you can include them in any number of entries.
Note: You may find it helpful to print this page before following these instructions.
How to Upload an Image
- Decide what image you want to use and make sure it is of a suitable type and size. If not you will need to reprocess it (instructions are not included in this Howto and will depend on the graphics software you have available to you).
- The image file has to be one of the following types:
- The image must be no larger than the following size:
- The exact limit is not known but you are advised to keep images smaller than 153.6Kb
- From any SN Directory page, click on Upload file on the Toolbox to the left of the screen
- From the Upload File special page that will be displayed, click on the Browse button and navigate to the image file you want to use and select it.
- Before uploading a file please read the Gotchas section below about file names or you could end up with an unusable file.
- On return to the Upload File page, you will see that the Source Filename field has been completed with the name of your file, and the Destination Filename (the name it will be referred to in the SN Directory entry) has also been completed with a default value based on the Source Filename. If there were spaces in the Source Filename, these will be replaced with underscore characters. For example if the Source Filename was "My photo.jpg", the Destination Filename will be My_photo.jpg. Note this name carefully as it must be typed in exactly when you want to use the image in a Guide. You may change the Destination Filename to something more meaningful if appropriate, but must do it before the Upload File button is pressed.
- Optionally you can add additional information about the image file in the Summary field - e.g. where it came from, descriptive information etc.
- Click on the Upload File button
- The time to upload the file will be dependent on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file
- On completion you should see the image displayed - if not see the Gotchas section below
Figure 1 shows a screen display after the successful upload of an image
How to use an uploaded image
- Identify the image you wish to use. A good starting point is to look for it in the Recent Changes page by clicking on Recent Changes in the toolbox on the left of the screen.
- Open the image file and select the title (including the word Image) using the mouse - e.g. Image:Alamein Launch 002.jpg
- Copy the title to the clipboard using your favourite method (e.g. Right-click/Copy or <CTRL-C>)
- Open the Directory entry into which you want to copy the image and place the cursor where you want it to go
- Paste the title of the image into the Directory entry using your favourite methos (e.g. Right-click/Paste or <CTRL-V>)
- Add square brackets to the entry so it looks like this: [[Image:Alamein Launch 002.jpg]]
- Never use characters other than letters, numbers and spaces in filenames when you upload them as the system cannot cope with them and you will not be able to use them even though they appear to have uploaded successfully.
- "I got an error message when uploading an image"
- If the error message said the file was not of a recognised type, you will need to recreate the file in an acceptable format using a graphics editor or a utility programme that allows you to save the image in an acceptable format
- If the error message said the file was too large, you will need to save it in a lower quality format or reduce its size by cropping it using a graphics editor or a utility programme that allows you to change the quality of the image
- "I forgot the names of the images I uploaded"
- This happens to everyone from time to time. The easiest way of finding the name of your image is to click on the Recent Changes link on the Navigation toolbar on the left of the screen. This will display a special page listing the recent changes and you should be able to find it there.
- "I couldn't find my image on the Recent Pages special page"
- All is not lost! Click on the Special Pages link on the Navigation toolbar on the left of the screen. Then click on File List to see a list of all the files uploaded into the SN Guides.
- "I tried to include an image I uploaded but it is not appearing on the screen"
- The most likely reason is that you have mistyped the name of the image file or got the syntax of the entry wrong. Correct this and try again