Ships Nostalgia banner

El Flamingo

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  knifecraftjones 
#1 ·
I have her recorded as operating for Hall Dredging Ltd, the EL FLAMINGO is seen passing Tilbury.
No other info known.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I may be wrong but I think the El Flamingo was an ex BP tanker and if my memory serves me well she was laid up (as the El Flamingo before conversion) in Tyne Dock in the mid 60's and we used to explore around her when I was at South Shields training school.

Steve.

#3 ·
I was a Pilot apprentice on the Tyne from 1964 to 1968 and there was a British tank berthed in Tyne Dock at the Buoys laid up. I think 1965 or 1966. Not sure of the name but British Defender sticks in my mind, I may be wrong my Brother in Law was with BP and it may be it was one of his ships.
Regards Jeff

#5 ·
British Defender

People say you always know where you were when John F. Kennedy was killed. I was a Deck Apprentice on British Defender somewhere in the Indian Ocean. My cabin mate was Les Jones (Years later we compared our Apprentices Journals of the time), the Master was Ashman and the Mate Milward. The Mate stood at our port hole about 0600 and told us the news. Indian crew I think.The ship was a 12!!! (12,000 dwt)
Saw the ship laid up on the Tyne and then years later as a dredger (Red Funnel as I recall)
Ray

#9 ·
Sid Jones 29/12/2023 The El Flamingo was converted from a coastal tanker to dredge aggregate from the Thames estuary. My father ( Ernie Jones ) worked on her, at the Charlton berth, and the conveyor system on shore from 1966. Murphy's had a small machine shop on the embankment at Charlton. My father was a fitter and turner there after his redundancy from United Glass when Pilkington closed the firm due to an irreconcilable union dispute over modernisation. Dad was 59/60 years old at the time and well thought of by Murphy's.