Ships Nostalgia banner

Ex Brocklebank

5K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Trevor 
#1 ·
How many ex Brocklebankers now live in another country and where??

Mike [CANADA] came here in 1968

#11 ·
Ex Brocks

Hi Mike,
I was briefly with Brocklebanks in 1965, did coastal voyages on MATURATA, MAGDAPUR, and did a ten week voyage down west africa on the ROSE OF LANCASTER which was also managed by Brocks. Moved to New Jersey USA in 1978, been living down the Jersey shore ever since. Still connected with sea in my job, plan on retiring in September.

#15 ·
I was with Brocks from 1963 through to 1967 sailing on the Makrana - Junior Apprentice, Mahout, Mathura, Magdapur and Maturata - 3rd Mate to name but a few. Upon obtaining 2 mates I migrated to Australia. Now retired and living in Perth Western Australia. I have a 52' converted Prawn Trawler aptly named "Mahout".
Regards
Robert Stork

#16 ·
Ex Brocklebanks Engineerin Aprentice

Hello,
Just been introduced to the site, I was a Brock's Engineering Apprentice 1959-1963 sailed on until 1966.
I am in regular contact with my Co apprentice Nick Stenning ( via phone )
We sailed on The Mahseer, Maidan, Maskeliya ( a picture of same is on my office wall ) together with my Indentures, do realize we got paid a total as an apprentice of GBP 846 for 4.5years.
I live in North Wales running an American Company in Columbus Ohio ( two weeks there two weeks per month here) would love to renew with anyone still alive !
One tends to only remember the good times, Water shortages, blowing tubes, *****ly heat and salt tablets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 ·
Hi Tiger,

Good to hear from you. There are a couple of photos with you in them in my gallery on this site. I also have a couple of slides somewhere in my collection at home, of you on one of the rare occasions when I was able to get a camera ashore in Calcutta. Let me know if you'd like copies and I'll try to find them.

All the best,

gwzm/John McGinty ex-Brocklebank R/O

#19 ·
I was with Port Line for the majority of my sea career.

However, one day at home at the end of my leave, I received a 'Brownie', to join this most unfamiliar ship, well, to me, anyway.

It didn't have the prefix 'Port', just the words 'MV Mahout'!

It was also in a most unfamiliar port because I was used to southern ports but in this instance I was to join the vessel in Dundee!

This was the beginning of a nine month trip of a most interesting and enjoyable nature. It was 1974.

New ports, new crew, new cargo, all most interesting to say the least.

I can see my fellow crew members in my minds eye but their names, I'm afraid I have forgotten, maybe, only one or two first names I can recall.

There were a few 'Brocklebank old timers', who resented a 'new kid on the block', like me, from what they said was a 'Posh' company like Port Line!

One name and character I can recall was a lad from Byker or is it Biker in Newcastle. He was a Senior Third Engineer called Ken Rutter.

The one 'bad' element about that Brocklebank trip on the 'Mahout', was that the ship was run by a committee comprising of the Chief Steward, Chief Officer and Chief Engineer, in that order. The Captain was rarely ever seen and was basicially only a figurehead, a rubber stamp for the ''Committee''.

I hadn't come across that in Port line before.

I did a few months coasting with a great Chief Engineer, his name escapes me but he wore leg calipers because of a childhood illness.

One of the 'mates', devoted a great deal of time to stoking, decoking, refilling and firing-up his pipe during the trip.
It was almost as if the pipe was the main man and the 'mate' was the assistant to it!

There are many more stories about that eventful trip I could tell you, but next time, maybe.

My next trip was on the ''MV Maihar'', another interesting trip and my last with Brocklebank before yet another last, my last trip with Port Line on the then 20 year old ''MV Port Auckland".

I ended my sea going career in 1976 on a Moss Tanker laid-up on the River Fal. I'd had enough!

I emmigrated to Australia on a two year contract for an iron Ore Company in the Pilbarra, North of Western Australia.
Then moved to Perth for the next 8 years.

I've lived and worked in many countries during my 25 year career with the same company, but ended up in Melbourne where I am presently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.