Ships Nostalgia banner

Harpagus (J. and C. Harrisons of London)

10K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  ronnie1 
#1 ·
I was trapped on this heap as Radio Officer for 7 months in 1967.

#12 ·
I sailed on the Hartington as jounier enger first trip from januray 1960 to 1961 coming to my home port of Newcastle I rejoined the Hartington and saild to japan then ause then to hong kong where the ship was sold to the chinees we flue home in feb 1962 great ship
Sailed 16 months on Hartington as 3rd mate. One of my most enjoyable voyages on a very happy ship, it's all down to those on board.

#8 · (Edited)
Harpalion

One of my favourite voyages was on the Harpalion when she was almost new. A good company, terrific ship, wonderful crew and very interesting voyage. Not, though, the kind of trip that would make interesting stories. No, the best yarns come from the worst ships, the hungriest ships, the hardest ships and the most unpleasant crews.

#13 ·
I too agree it is the crew that makes the ship a happy one. Only had one ship where it was not a happy one. Brasil Star, ironic did two trips though that was for the run truly superb oh those memories.

Possibly it was as she had the crew split accommodation wise? The latter was the absolute worst of any ship I was on also the food. Saying that some of the old timers who did every trip were less than friendly. Sadly very much in cliques, deck, engine room, of course stewards were virtually all as we use to say, 'fruits' but very funny even if trying every which way but loose to get you into their spider web down that dreaded Burma rd ): gad we were so young then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.