Ships Nostalgia banner

HMCS Kootenay, Remembered

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ben27 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I remember, on my first ship, the engineer pointing at the gearbox and telling me that it was the exact one as on the Kootenay. Then he proceeded to tell me the details, since I was only 8 when the accident occurred and had no idea what he was talking about!

#5 ·
If my memory serves me corectly the gearbox explosion was caused by a bearing shell incorectly fitted (backwards, as I understand) leading to oil starvation on the journal. I do remember the incident, just a kid at the time, there were a few cases of poor fitting in HMC Dockyard. Does any one recall the Margree losing her main turbines? She blew one, think stbd, spent two months repairing, then bent port turbine shaft on trials. Was in the Marine Slips by that time as an Engine Fitter.

BTW, Dartmouth Marine Slips is now defunct, sold by Irving to a foreign intrest to become a high end condo development.

Cheers, Dumah
Halifax, NS

#6 ·
Been aboard several of the st laurent class ships in their day in the 1980's, visiting & making comparrisons to types we used in american navy, koontz, adams, etc, etc & the topic of the reduction gear box came up, mainly the Kootenay... we had escape trunks & hatches from construction, reduction gear cases had electrostatic vent fog precipitators & a dehumidification system as well. Also how could you put a gear bearing in backwards, as they only fit one way & one way only... strange & recently being aboard a ship & having sevaral gears replaced & bearing as well by northrum gruman corp, the techs made sure they went in properly and i inquired abiout this, they told me they only fit one way!! no if ands or buts about it, wonder about those gear boex on the st laurent types, who were they built by, anyone know?

#7 ·
These gear boxes and associated turbines were English Electric,excellent kit,until a matey (dkyd) gets a shell in ass about to. This could be done ,hence the lube starvation and resultant overheating. She had operated with it for a good period of time,and at speed.A damn shame,I had mates in her at the time. Regards,Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.