Ships Nostalgia banner

commodore charnley.............

5K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Bob Preston 
#1 ·
anyone remember him????????????

sparkie2182

#3 · (Edited)
Very much so. I sailed with him quite frequently and came to be known as one of "Chuckles's" men.
I first met him when i was cadet and he was on one of his first commands on Constance Bowater.
My first voyage as 3rd Officer was with him on Roslin Castle
I then sailed as Extra second officer and second officer on Pendennis Castle with him for quite some time and then went with him to Windsor Castle when he was promoted to Commodore.
I like to think that he asked for me to sail with him as I was an officer that could be relied upon during the night but I suspect it was really that we shared a passion for golf and would nearly always sneak off in Port Elizabeth and play at Humewood together. Whilst playing I was allowed to call him Harold...... (a secret I have never revealed until today).
He had a great love of classical music and always brought his hi-fi and record collection to sea. He was often found in his dayroom, music up full blast and Chuckles standing at a lecturn with baton conducting an imaginary orchestra.
I held him in great respect and affection he was one of those masters who was there when you wanted him and not there when you didnt.
I understand he died a few years ago.

#4 ·
Is this the "Chuckles Charnley" I sailed with as Staff Commander on the Windsor Castle about 1964ish.( Wife is no help on this one, she can't remmember the year either ). Every one in Union Castle seemed to have a nick name.e.g. Swivel Eye Loyd, Logger Loyd, Windjammer Wilson, Happy Jack Wassell. It wasn't only the men. We had a Patsy The Nipple, a ****allina a Tattyhead.Very few were complimentry.

Bob Preston ( The Golly )

#5 ·
Commodore Charnley was always known as Chuckles, although very professional he could always see the funny side of a situation.
He was held back being promoted to Master until quite late in his career. (something to do with a lady passenger on Kenya Castle if memory serves me right) I think the lady in question went on to become the second Mrs Charnley.
I recall that he was Chief Officer on Kenya Csatle for a long time before rising to Staff Commander on Windsor Castle. Thereafter his promotion to Master was rapid and he quickly worked his way up from cargo ships back to the mail ships. Ending up as Commodore on Widsor Castle.

#6 ·
I sailed with him for about a year in PENDENNIS CASTLE (I was 2nd R/O) On inspections, he always jokingly asked if I declared my ship model proceeds to the taxman. One voyage, I was involved in making clear plastic paperweights for his wife who sold them to passengers. They contained small radio components such as transistors, capacitors, resistors etc. At he end of the voyage he brought me my "pay" in a brown paper envelope. Smirking insolently, I asked if his wife would be declaring the proceeds for tax - he never asked me again, but I am sure he saw the funny side of it!
Bob Wilson

#11 ·
In some companies, the OM was known as a Commander - most notably with British India, and in this case UC.
The braid is a bit odd, but it must have been a UC thing, in other companies where there was a Commodore it was a single, thick, gold stripe.

#15 ·
Sailed with him on the Windsor in 1975. Never had any bother with him. It was the c/e that didn't like me. Told me to get my hair cut when we were at boat drill in Southampton!

#21 ·
Chuckles

I was third mate on the Windsor Castle for most of 1975. I was aboard when he got married for a second time (in Capetown, I think) and was at the reception. He wasn't a bad skipper at all. I remember him as being quite short, bandy-legged (not a particularly good look in tropical whites!!!) and he had quite a high pitched voice. Thinking back to those far off days, my favourite Union Castle captain was Patrick St Quentin Beadon, who was a real gentleman.

This is a great site - I only joined today!

All the best,

Sandy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.