Ships Nostalgia banner

Challenges Sustaining Gps

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Santos 
#1 ·
You better start polishing your Sextants . interesting white paper from US government see attached PDF

Attachments

#2 · (Edited)
One has to bear in mind that, like all satellite navigation systems, GPS was originally set up by the Government for defense purposes. They can interfere with it, or even block it, any time they choose. I experienced that on a ship equipped with the old transit satellite system in the Persian Gulf during the 1990-91 Gulf War. I have no doubt that they can do the same thing with GPS.

When I was a cadet we were taught not to rely on any single source of navigational information. Since the advent of GPS, I've noticed that many navigators, particularly the younger ones, have begun relying entirely on GPS to the exclusion of everything else. Many have entirely forgotten how to do piloting and celestial navigation. Many ships no longer carry back-up electronic navigation systems such as Radio Direction Finders, Decca and Loran. Indeed, many of those systems are being, or actually have been, phased out of existence. That PDF article indicates that such actions might prove to be premature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.