Ships Nostalgia banner

ISS pontypridd/ ss pontypridd

11K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Laurie Ridyard 
#1 · (Edited)
undefined

IM LOOKING FOR ANY INFO OR PHOTO'S OF THE ISS PONTYPRIDD BUILT 1883 AND SUNK IN WW1 BY A U BOAT AND SS PONTYPRIDD BUILT 1924 AND ALSO SUNK BY A U BOAT IN 1942 BOTH THESE SHIPS BELONGED TO THE MOREL BROTHERS OF CARDIFF

#2 ·
Cargo Pontypridd, 1,556grt, (R.E. Morel & Co.) had been sailing from the Tyne to London with a cargo of coal. On the 12th March 1917, off Aldeburgh she hit a mine and sank, 3 lives lost.

Commemorated Tower Hill Memorial WWI section

GEAR, Able Seaman, ROBERT, S.S. "Pontypridd" (Cardiff). Mercantile Marine. Killed, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, or killed by mine, 12th March 1917. Age 26. Son of Magnus and Charlotte Gear, of Brough, Nesting, Lerwick, Shetland.

LAMBO, Fireman, JOHN, S.S. "Pontypridd" (Cardiff). Mercantile Marine. Killed, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, or killed by mine, 12th March 1917. Age 30. Born in Greece.

ROUSSOS, Fireman, DEMETRIOS, S.S. "Pontypridd" (Cardiff). Mercantile Marine. Killed, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, or killed by mine 12th March 1917. Age 28. Born in Greece.

Cargo ship Pontypridd, 4,458grt, (Morel Bros, Pontypridd SS Co.) had sailed from Immingham to Loch Ewe in ballast for Father Point & Sydney, Cape Breton and joined up with the the Cape Cod bound 38 ship Convoy ON-100 which left Liverpool on the 2nd June 1942. Some time during the crossing the ship became detached from the main Convoy and was classed as a straggler. On the 11th June she was intercepted by U-569 North East of Newfoundland who fired a torpedo into the ships bow, followed by a second hitting her amidships and buckling her plates. Severely disabled and straggling further behind she was hit by a coupe de grace from U-94 and sank in position 49' 50 N 41' 37W. The Captain, Herbert V. B. Morden was taken prisoner onboard U569 and eventually ended up in the Merchant Navy PoW camp Milag Nord (Milag PoW No. 706) where he spent the remainder of the war until the camp was liberated on the 28th April 1945. 42 crew were rescued by Canadian corvette RCN Chambly and landed in St John's. 2 crew were lost.

Commemorated Tower Hill Memorial Panel 83.

AHMED SHIEF, Fireman and Trimmer, S.S. Pontypridd (London). Merchant Navy. 11th June 1942. Age 44.

NATAL MANOEL NASEIMENTO, Fireman and Trimmer, S.S. Pontypridd (London). Merchant Navy. 11th June 1942. Age 24.

National Maritime Museum has two photos of the 1924 built Pontypridd. Below are the negative numbers to quote and contact address.

PONTYPRIDD (Br) 50.1 1924 General cargo Pontypridd Steamship Co Ltd (Morel Ltd).
P12411 (3) B Under way. A copy negative.
P12412 (3) B Nov. 1936 At quayside.

Historic Photographs Section,
National Maritime Museum,
Greenwich,
London,
SE10 9NF
Tel: +44 (0) 20 8312 8600
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8317 0263
E-mail: plansandphotos@nmm.ac.uk

#4 ·
ss Pontypridd

ss Pontypridd (1883) 1556 gross 989 net , ship no 87480 , registered Cardiff, ship's register in Glamorgan Records Office. 260ft x 36.2 x 18.5 ,built Blyth Shipbuilding Company, 99HP . Crew agreement for 1917 in BT 99 / 3290 at Kew National Archive . covers voyage where sunk by mine or torpedo at Aldeburgh , 3 crew lost .Sold by Morel subsequently owned by Leadenhall Steamship Company and Wolviston Steamship Company. Final owner was South Metropolitan Gas Company who established a small fleet to carry coal from Northeast ports to Thames gasworks during WW1.
I am also interested in photographs but have yet to find one.

#9 ·
There is a book about Morel (Pontypridd owners) written by J Gibbs , a family member , and published by the National Museum of Wales. A copy can be found in the search room at the Glamorgan Record Office in Cardiff. The book contains photographs of both ships , 1883 and 1924 , as well as some information about each vessel. The book in total is a very interesting account of the history of this shipping family and their shipping and mining interests and the times in which these ships operated. The Shipwreck Index of the British Isles gives some detail about the sinking of the 1883 ship (possibly also the 1924 ship) it is in regional volumes and I think I saw a set in the reference department of the Cardiff Central Library.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.