Ships Nostalgia banner

Kota Singapura

13K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  Dieneke 
#1 ·
Would any fellow nostalgia shipmates have any knowledge of the history of a passenger ship by the name of Kota Singapura.
I sailed on her in 1972 from Fremantle to Singapore.
At the time she was used as a charter vessel for a "ship-jet" connection between Australia and Great Britain, aimed at the popular backpacker age group.
Unfortunately the venture was poorly run, with the vessel regularly overbooked, and air connections "iffy" to say the least, and the company sunk late that same year.
Hopefully someone has a better memory than I do now.

#4 ·
I know it's been a few years since you asked the question, but I have only just found this site!! I sailed on the Kota Singapura in 1977 (with my family), perth to singapore, with a load of sheep below us (we were on c deck), and returned around end of october beginning of november and that was supposed to be her last cruise. She broke down twice from memory, once for nearly 2 days? There were also problems with the airconditioning and there was a bit of flooding in the public bathrooms. Very fond memories, very friendly crew.

#12 ·
Hi! This is very interesting to me. My family and I moved to Australia in 1977 from the UK, and we came on the Kota Singapura to Fremantle from Singapore in 1977! I was only 4. It is entirely possible that you went to Singapore the same day we arrived from there!!

#6 ·
I too travelled Kota Singapura from Perth to Singapore in 1977, departing Fremantle on 22nd May when I was 11.
We did have onward flight problems in Singapore, we did have one breakdown at sea and the lower decks were filled with sheep aft and cattle fore, but the overall experience was a good one. We had a B Deck cabin. The Kota Singapura experience was a lasting memory. It was intimate, and I was very aware. The main dining room was very special. Intimate, efficient and impeccable service and food. The crew were exceptionally friendly. I do remember us all being very concerned on the day of life boat drill as the pulleys and launching equipment looked to be completely seized up with rust and repaints.

#9 ·
Kota Cockroach

We travelled on The Kota Singapura, September 1977, from Freo to Singapore, where we flew SAS to Copenhagen, & BA to London. This was known as Ship Jet, a very cheap way to travel to the UK. We nicknamed it the Kota Cockroach for obvious reasons. We were 4 lads on our first expedition Overseas. A round of 4 cans of beer were approximately $2. (duty free). Our cabin was foreward of the restaurant. One night I walked on deck & it was packed with sheep, a kiwis dream come true. The reason for being a cheap cruise, was the fact we shared the ship with livestock. Very romantic when u step on deck for a breath of fresh air. The plumbing & aircond were dodgy. But a very memorable cruise for a young impressionable lad, followed by a stopover in Singapore & a night out at boogey street.

#11 ·
Kota Singapura cruise

Hello there. It looks like we all sailed on the Kota Singapura as passengers during the 70's. I've looked at my old passport and according to the stamp we arrived in Fremantle (from Singapore) on Aug 20th 1976. I was 15 at the time. Yes it was a fun cruise. I remember the wait staff wore crackerjacks. The band led by a guy named Shark sang 'tie a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree' every night. Ham and cheese sandwiches were good as was 'crossing the equator' party. Two weeks later voyage back to Singapore and that was my summer vacation. My first cruise!

#13 ·
Hi. A friend and I sailed from Singapore to Fremantle, April 1972. Because of overbooking in ‘steerage’, and we were ‘older’ backpackers, 26, (I think 24 was the preferred limit), we were upgraded to better cabins. We even had seats at the captain’s table but couldn’t dress for the occasion after six months overland on ‘the hippie trail’ so we dined informally with everyone else and felt more comfortable. It was a great six-day trip, relaxing after the rigours of travelling, and we were welcomed at Fremantle wharf by crowds and a lone kilted piper, the beginning of our life in Australia.

#14 ·
Hi! This is very interesting to me. My family and I moved to Australia in 1977 from the UK, and we came on the Kota Singapura to Fremantle from Singapore in 1977! I was only 4. It is entirely possible that you went to Singapore the same day we arrived from there!!
Hi. A friend and I sailed from Singapore to Fremantle, April 1972. Because of overbooking in ‘steerage’, and we were ‘older’ backpackers, 26, (I think 24 was the preferred limit), we were upgraded to better cabins. We even had seats at the captain’s table but couldn’t dress for the occasion after six months overland on ‘the hippie trail’ so we dined informally with everyone else and felt more comfortable. It was a great six-day trip, relaxing after the rigours of travelling, and we were welcomed at Fremantle wharf by crowds and a lone kilted piper, the beginning of our life in Australia.

#15 ·
Hi. A
A friend and I sailed from Singapore to Fremantle, April 1972. Because of overbooking in ‘steerage’, and we were ‘older’ backpackers, 26, (I think 24 was the preferred limit), and had paid a bit more, we were upgraded to better cabins. We even had seats at the captain’s table, but couldn’t dress for the occasion after six months overland on ‘the hippie trail’ so we dined informally with everyone else and felt more comfortable. It was a great six-day trip, relaxing after the rigours of travelling, and we were welcomed at Fremantle wharf by crowds and a lone kilted piper, the beginning of our lives in Australia.

#16 ·
I sailed on the Kota Singapura as Chief Officer during 1975 - 1976, when she did round trips from Singapore to Fremantle. Six days at sea with one day in Fremantle and two days in Singapore, which were the only two ports that she visited during my time on board.
She was an enjoyable ship carrying mostly Australia passengers, who were generally friendly as Australians tend to be. .They were amixed lot, sweet old ladies on board for the round trip to relax and spend a couple of days in Singapore. Families who would travel north one trip, spend a couple of weeks touring Singapore and Malaysia travelling back to Fremantle a couple of trips later. There were dozens of backpackers who were travelling to and from Europe, as the company PIL had ticketing arrangements with some airlines.
Recently I spent 14 years in Perth, Australia and not once did I meet any of the passengers that we carried on the Kota Singapura. The ship is listed on the Immigrant Ship Board outside of the Fremantle Maritime Museum.

#17 ·
I sailed on the Kota Singapura as Chief Officer during 1975 - 1976, when she did round trips from Singapore to Fremantle. Six days at sea with one day in Fremantle and two days in Singapore, which were the only two ports that she visited during my time on board.
She was an enjoyable ship carrying mostly Australia passengers, who were generally friendly as Australians tend to be. .They were amixed lot, sweet old ladies on board for the round trip to relax and spend a couple of days in Singapore. Families who would travel north one trip, spend a couple of weeks touring Singapore and Malaysia travelling back to Fremantle a couple of trips later. There were dozens of backpackers who were travelling to and from Europe, as the company PIL had ticketing arrangements with some airlines.
Recently I spent 14 years in Perth, Australia and not once did I meet any of the passengers that we carried on the Kota Singapura. The ship is listed on the Immigrant Ship Board outside of the Fremantle Maritime Museum.
I too sailed on the Kota Singapura with my family. I was 17 at the time. I believe it was in May of 1976.

#18 ·
I sailed Singapore to Fremantle on July 1972. This was part of a very cheap package charter from London. The charter company organised a bus from Euston Bus Station to Stansted Aurport, a flight with British Airferries to Ostend Belgium, then a flight with the sole aircraft of a charter airline to Kuala Lumpur. The aircraft stopped in Brussels, Baghdad and Bombay where the aircraft dumped us to return for repairs. It returned the next day to deliver us to KL. Because of the delay, we missed our flight to Singapore so we bussed down overnight. The next day we joined the Kota Singapura (built by van der Giessen shipbuilders in Rotterdam in the early ‘50s) for the cruise to Fremantle. The ship was full of backpackers and young families but no sheep (maybe on the way back to Singapore!). It was a memorable trip and a critical one to start my life in Australia.

#19 ·
I, too, travelled on the Kota Singapura, in February 1977. We were a family of 6 travelling to Ireland to live (parents originally from there) and us kids had a ball on the ship. We were friends with the staff and my brothers did deliveries for the Captain of flyers to all the cabins. It was a great trip and I also remember the crossing of the equator, great fun. We then spent 2 days in Singapore before travelling via Dubai, Amsterdam and London to Dublin. I have since returned to live in Australia.

#20 ·
My friend and I sailed on the Kota Singapura in May of 1976 from Fremantle to Singapore. We then caught a connecting flight with Dan Air to London. Spent the following months working and travelling through Europe and Middle East, We also did the return journey in September 1977 from London to Singapore with Thai Air before again sailing back to Fremantle. The ship/jet experience was an economical way to get to Europe in thr 70s.

#21 ·
Would any fellow nostalgia shipmates have any knowledge of the history of a passenger ship by the name of Kota Singapura. I sailed on her in 1972 from Fremantle to Singapore. At the time she was used as a charter vessel for a "ship-jet" connection between Australia and Great Britain, aimed at the popular backpacker age group. Unfortunately the venture was poorly run, with the vessel regularly overbooked, and air connections "iffy" to say the least, and the company sunk late that same year. Hopefully someone has a better memory than I do now.
I sailed on this at the end of may or early june 1977 from Perth after flying from Sydney , It cost $750 all up including 2 nights at the royal Ramada on Orchard rd I was twenty yrs old at the time Swan Lager was 20 cts a can and I stayed in Europe for 18 months where I met my wife and we have been married with 3 kids for 42yrs and we still travel. Entertainment was by the crew , cossack dancing etc what a great time

#22 ·
I also left from Fremantle in 1972 … the ship was late as it was being held off shore to be fumigated (cockroaches I think they told us) and we all had to find accom in Perth ..I had come in from Adelaide by train… half the crew were missing and the engines broke down on at least one occasion. The ship had no stabilisers so it rolled a lot… our cabin flooded one night…we had to be moved.. it was an amazing journey for me as a youngster…sailing thru the volcanic islands, sitting at the front of the ship ..legs dangling over those crystal clear waters watching sea snakes…there were few restrictions as there were so few crew working… we would raid the galley in the early hours on the morning (on calm days) to get fresh baked bread rolls…. I was lucky I had chosen the second flight out of Singapore to London…the 3rd flight never made it and the Aust Govt had to fly the remaining passengers back to Australia…

#23 ·
I was on that ship from Singapore to Fremantle, July 1972, with that charter company on a trip that started from London. Total cost 88 pounds! The crew had gone on strike in Singapore from nonpayment of wages. Eventually I got to Australia on what proved to be a great trip.
I was told that the ship went back to Singapore when the charter company collapsed. I was lucky to make it!
The ship was made by van der Giessen - de Noord in Rotterdam. A bit of internet searching will reveal its history.

#24 ·
I clearly remember going aboard her when she was still under her original name, the Tjiluwah, of Royal Interocean Lines. It was October 20th 1969 & she was berthed in Circular Quay in Sydney & my aunt was travelling to The Far East on her for 6 weeks! I remember it like yesterday as I was only 9 at the time & she was the first ship I had ever boarded. My family & I went to see her off & in those halcyon days visitors could go onboard to say goodbye before the ship sailed! My aunt had a terrible time on her though as they passed through a hurricane on the voyage & being only a small, yacht like liner, she was tossed around like a cork & she wasn’t stabilised either! After returning home, my aunt wouldn’t even board the Manly ferry as she was terrified she’d get seasick again!