Ships Nostalgia banner

Esso York

39K views 61 replies 30 participants last post by  arryboy39 
#1 ·
Esso Petroleum’s ESSO YORK inward bound at Tilbury on the 20th September 1969.
Built 1955 and 17570 tons gross.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nothing since 2004. I have just registered.

My father, Owen Weetman was one of the Chief Engineers in the 1970's. He oversaw the drydocking of the ship's transormation to a lightening vessel. I recall it being the first in the fleet.

The York was then used in the NW European area.

My father died on board in 1977 in Antwerp aged 42. Second at the time was Bob Joblin and I recall Ernest Baird was the Electrician. Dave Gardner had been second relieving chief for a number of years. My father used to refer to the Old Man as "Z Victor One"

#34 ·
Hi Kevin
I sailed in the Esso York with Owen, Jun to Sept 71, he was a fine man. He was instrumental in getting me interested in taking my tickets. His reasoning being, "what have you got to loose you live in South Shields anyway so at worst even if you fail it will be 3 month paid leave". I did get a chief ticket so I have to thank him for that. "Bob a job" was J/2 I am sorry to hear of his death.
We had a good trip spending a lot of the time anchored off Torquay along with the Shell tanker Drupa waiting to lighter the VLCC's, I believe at one time the Yorks crew under the cover of darkness had painted a smile on the bow of the Drupa, so see now had the habit anchoring way out. The tourist boats didn't come to close either, to shy.
We also had a spell on the shuttle run (no not Amoy Bay to Aruba as imortalised in the Esso calypso) but Rotterdam to Purfleet, I think we did 12 shuttles
I also remember a panic among most of the hands when we were asked to check the air conditioning (what about missing Corination St???),we went to Marsa el Brega in Libia.
I also remember Owen issuing a new movement book at Purfleet, we were going to the Humber take 20,000t of oil off a grounded tanker. However as we cleared the Thames the tanker was refloated with assistance of tugs so it was back to Rotterdam, and a deferal of the Cleadon Village mansions.
Owen wanted me to go back the next trip, but I prefered Deepsea, the coast was ok in the summer but not the winter.
Three days after getting home I walked in to the Mermaids Tale and there was half the Yorks crew, she was docked at the Esso terminal at North Shields.
In Esso I sailed on the Oxford ; Portsmouth ; York ; Westminster ; Northumbria ; Ulidia and Northumbria again, the when to containerships

Regards

Bob

#49 ·
Hi Stewart,
When was you on the York? I still think of those days, only the good times that is!
I'm so glad I went to sea, at the time when your on the ships you don't realise how you will look back and cherish the memories of the time and the people you sailed with. There were so many engineers I was on watch with who I really liked, unfortunatley I have not seen any of them on this website.

Kind Regards
Trevor (Diesel) I hated that bloody name!! (K)

#55 ·
Hi Stewart,
When was you on the York? I still think of those days, only the good times that is!
I'm so glad I went to sea, at the time when your on the ships you don't realise how you will look back and cherish the memories of the time and the people you sailed with. There were so many engineers I was on watch with who I really liked, unfortunatley I have not seen any of them on this website.

Kind Regards
Trevor (Diesel) I hated that bloody name!! (K)
Hi Trevor ,
Did my first trip with you on the Hibernia , my mate was Pit Pony - John Cain . George Duncan Chief etc - long time ago now mate :0(

#6 ·
Hi Kevan,
Sorry to hear of Bob's passing away. The one thing i remember about Bob he was a friendly bloke, I was traineer mechanic at the time and my second trip to sea. He was, what I would refer to as the "old school" of engineers, Did he ever keep in touch with Bruce "Sludge" the second engineer?

#7 ·
Kevin.
I was on the Esso York on two ocassions in 1974 , your dad was C/E at the time or part of the time I was there. The Old man was Donovan he lived in Salisbury I think, the mate was Vic Humble the sparkie was from the North East had been on there for years, chief steward Millie Webb from Southend. I cannot remember many other names, perhaps they will come to me just after I finish this post, that usually happens.
Did hear that your dad died onboard (sadly) I seem to remember it was during boat drill, I maybe wrong with that statement, but it seems to ring a bell with me.

#9 ·
I sailed loads of times in Esso York - 2nd Officer and Chief Officer - My next to favourite ship! I truly admiored Captain Vic Donovan who taught me a lot. Had the pleasure of crossing paths with Owie Weetman very many times, plus Bob Joblin (Bob'a'Job) and Ernie Baird (His last ship was Esso Severn when I was Master there).
Very sorry to hear of Bob's demise - You're right - he was a ncie man and a good engineer.

#10 ·
I as reseaching somethng on Esso and found the entires on Esso York
My father was Pip Webb the Chief Steward/Purser on the Esso York that you refer about. He's now 83 physically he fairly fit but his mind has completely gone and is looked after during the day by my mother.
He worked for Esso for a great number of years and was on several of the ships but I know from what he has said that the York and Glasgow were the happiest of times he had whilst at sea.
I wil ask my mother if she remembers any other members of staff.
Best wishes

#11 ·
A little bit of humour concerning the York.......

As you all know, she was many years on the coast, and all onboard were very used to daily papers, Corrie at 7.30 three times a week, etc etc., and no desire to change that.

The York appeared alongside in Fawley one day (82 perhaps) and I chanced upon Esso's Agency Manager, Len Belcher, just as he walked away from her gangway. He looked a little stressed, and told me he might need to hire a bus, as 22 crew members had asked to see a doctor!! I enquired if there was an epidemic on board - only for him to reply "Oh no - but they've just got orders for Las Palmas".........

#13 ·
I also sailed on the Esso York with Wheetman c/eng,bob a job and Bruce Gudge did 12 hour nights cleaning the boilers and a few beers after, in 1975 I had to Greewich Seamans Hospital for knee operation and Bob a Job was in recovering from a similar operation. att picture Esso York lightering Esso Scotia

#15 ·
Hi Trucker,

Yes that is true, If my memory serves me well it was October 1978, I was a PO Mechanic onboard at the time. We did slavage a small amout of cargo, and we all received salvage money.
The British Dragoon went alongside after we had finished, and salvaged more cargo than the Good old Esso York!

Regards
Trevor

#17 ·
A cousin, Billy McCormick, saild on the Esso York, He joined her at North Shields as 2nd Mate on 9th January 1964 and left her Baltimore, Maryland, on 16th June 1964. He joined Esso as JOS at 16 years of age in 1951, rose through the ranks from there, attaining his Master F.G. in 1963. Came ashore in 1968 to take up appointment as Marine Superintendent. Last ship was Esso Durham, his second period of service on this vessel as Mate. The old 'York' went to Bombay for breaking in 1981. Well retired now.

Do any Esso men remember Hector Mac Lellan, who also originated from the Western Isles like Billy, and who also worked his way up from deck to Master on Esso ships before taking shore employment in 1977? In his final days with Esso, Hector sailed Master on the new breed of large VLCCs, e.g. Cambria, Northumbria, Scotia, Ulidia.

#20 ·
Your shipmates

thanks for clearing that up,trevor.as i am sure [although its a few year a go now ]most lads i sailed with thought you and jimmy were related.(Thumb)
Hi Trucker,
Who were the lads you served with? As I was down the engine room, I remember some deck chaps on deck but I cant think of their names. So how about the middle ground? Pumpmen! Do you remember Alan Hicks? a small bloke the same height as me 5 feet b****r all! He was a laugh, I sailed with Allan on the Hernia and Cardiff.
Do you remember a PO Mech called Keith Jolley? We got in touch by a work connection 3 years ago, long after I left Esso, In September I went to see him in France where he now lives. Keep it coming,

Did you ever sail with me?

(Thumb)

Trevor
(Thumb)

Trevor

#24 ·
gus

trevor i think it was the esso miford haven gus died on as i was on the esso fawley at the time.[as you get older the old grey matter plays up].the incident happend while gus was inspecting the drain plugs on the pump chambers,in the pumproom.i think some other ships were having problems with the plug threads stripping.he was a big lad.although the ship was loaded the chambers were supposed to be empty.he had to take off his e.l.s.a set to get down into the bilges to inspect the plugs.he put a spanner on one plug and it shot out.the chamber was full of petrol.which poured into the bilges.he couldn,t get to his e.l.s.a set in time ,before he was overcome by fumes.although there was an a/b at the top of the pumproom by the time the rescue party reached gus, it was too late.i sailed with gus on the esso humber he was a great guy.a good friend of ian [007]campbell.
reading the cristos bitas thread i noticed one name i know,relieved him a couple of times ,rod willet.i think he left on medical grounds ,back trouble.

#26 ·
Hi Trucker
I remember Gus well I was on leave when he died and was sent to join after it happend spent a couple of happy years on the Fawley and Millford Haven but as you said got paid off on medical grounds with back trouble still a problem but get by. Good to see so many names that we can still remember good times. Rod

#27 ·
clyde

hi rod, remember s--t in the the bucket wilson, on the clyde.c/m.wouldnt leave the deck while topping off.so he had a crap in a bucket in the tank cleaning gear locker.crew would never let him forget it.can,t understand why trevor did not reply to post on gus.

#29 ·
rainbow

rainbow was pumpman.last time i seen him was on the fife,when she was in the tyne converting for north sea.ian was pumpman,had a b/b in blackpool sandra [ his wife ran it while he was at sea].shortly after ian left the sea,they sold up,and moved back up to scotland.we knew the writing was on the wall once they started cutting back on crews,at least i left with afew bob.remember f.m.o gangs,shotblast every where.engineers doing their nuts as the shotblast got into the bearings on the winches
(Jester)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.