Ships Nostalgia banner

Perseus

6K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Rhiw.com 
#1 ·
My first deep sea trip was deck boy on the Perseus, The Bosun was Willy Thomas from Amlwch, and the other Deck Boy was Steve Hansen from Kirby Liverpool, we sailed from Birkenhead on February 28th 1969. Calling at Curacao for bunkers then through the Panama to Japan (three ports), Korea (Pusan) Taiwan (Chilung) Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia (Port Swetenham) and Ceylon (Columba) and Cape Town for bunkers on the way home. I ended up making three trips on her, my last at the dizzy heights of J.O.S. I left her on January 26th 1970. My only claim to fame, I sailed around the world three times before I was 18 years old. Photos taken on my second trip, bought a camera in Kobe, Japan on the first. (And yes, I did save the old bread for the Mules in the Panama!!! (//)) )

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Re Perseus

Hi Tony
I only joined this forum a few days ago,so was delighted to see your article about the Perseus.Anyway i'm the outher Peggy who sailed with you on her. So hello Shipmate to be honest i'm a bit blurred over that trip,what was then my second trip on Perseus maybe it's because the ports you mention are a repeat of my first trip and I must have thought that I was an old Seadog by then and seen it all before. I first joined Perseus after first completing the Deck Boy training course at Oddysey works Birkenhead September-October 1968, joined Perseus 28th October at Birkenhead first Port Dublin then same as second voyage only Pusan and Columbo different.
She was a good old Bluey the Perseus remember the Casbar named after the chippy Dennis Cassidy As for Willy Thomas he was the best Bosun that i sailed with on the China Boats
Hope your Whammys never snap Stevie

#7 ·
Hello Stevie, I just don’t believe this!!! I only joined this forum a few days ago myself. How are you keeping my old China? You taught me all I know, cos I was on my first trip and you were an old hand!!! Dennis Cassidy the chippy left the sea after that trip (my first), to get married, I saw him a couple of times at Holyhead, when I did a stint there on the Ferries. Sadly Willy Thomas passed away many years ago, you were right there, he was a great Bosun a real gentleman, remember when he used to “turn us to” he would shout Aye Aye at the top of his voice down the alleyway. Do you remember the Chinese Tomolo, you used to ask him the time after smoko every afternoon, and he would look at his watch and say “Fly pass Flea” One story I’ve got to remind you of, when we were in Hong Kong, and It was my turn to clean the bar, but I used to leave it till after smoko, anyway who came walking down the alleyway with the mate but the big man himself Mr Julian Holt one of the owners, very smart he was as well, round gold rim glasses and pin stripe suit, He only wanted to see the bar, (As the Perseus was the first in the fleet to have one, I think) and I was the only one with a key. You can just imagine the rest, the place was a tip, with empty ale cans all over the place. I don’t think the mate talked to me again in three trips!!!! The only other ship’s bar I can remember it’s name, was the one on the Priam “Nip on Inn” All the best Stevie, and great to hear from you after nearly 37 years. Tony.

#18 ·
Thanks

tell said:
Tony there's nowt wrong with your website, It provided me with pics of ships that I never thought I'd ever see again. Tell
Thanks a lot for your comment Terry, I’m glad that you and others have used my website, for the purpose that it was intended. Us old seadogs are a very nostalgic lot!!! Best regards Tony. (;))

#20 ·
Hi Scaley back. I must have joined the perseus just after you. I remember the bosun , His wife used to wave a white sheet from shore when we were picking the pilot up at lynas. I joined her as a pantry boy and stayed on untill she was scraped.
im no good on remebering names but i can recall a few of the lads on here. Ronnie Carter , Phill Webb Glyn Jones, The lampy we Called Black Bob, Gwyn Hughes Hugh from Sarn N. Wales.Tony Cooney,Phill Carr, Chief Stwd Bill Lockerbie and his Wife Dot who ran the catering side. These are a few which i can remember. anyway had some good times on there a fine old ship and crew. Trev Jones

#21 ·
t jones said:
Hi Scaley back. I must have joined the perseus just after you. I remember the bosun , His wife used to wave a white sheet from shore when we were picking the pilot up at lynas. I joined her as a pantry boy and stayed on untill she was scraped.
im no good on remebering names but i can recall a few of the lads on here. Ronnie Carter , Phill Webb Glyn Jones, The lampy we Called Black Bob, Gwyn Hughes Hugh from Sarn N. Wales.Tony Cooney,Phill Carr, Chief Stwd Bill Lockerbie and his Wife Dot who ran the catering side. These are a few which i can remember. anyway had some good times on there a fine old ship and crew. Trev Jones
Hi Trev, I only remember some of the lads myself, Black Bob's surname was Reynolds, the Leading Seamen were Tony Richardson, Andy McFaden and Tommy Jones, A.B's. Sam Graham, Wally Whitty, and Emo Roberts, that's it. I can't remember any more, except Steve Hanson who was deck boy with me on my first trip on her, who sent me this photo of the Perseus crew bar in 1969, and I'm sure he won't mind me showing it here, Regards Tony.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.