Ships Nostalgia banner

Bad News

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  sam2182sw 
#1 ·
Received this info from a Newsletter today.
Here's the latest news from the cruise industry...

Tragedy struck on Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas on the morning of September 2, when 3 crew members died after being exposed to what was reported to be methane gas while replacing a section of pipe connected to the ship's sewage system. In addition to the crew members whose lives were lost, 19 crew members were taken to local hospitals in connection with the incident. All 19 of the hospitalized crew members were released within 4 days, and no passengers were affected. The ship departed late on its subsequent voyage but is operating on schedule at this time. The investigation is ongoing

#5 ·
Sailing on the Zaandam,ports of call are Half Moon Cay, Bahamas
Aruba,Curacao, thru the Panama canal,Colon, Limon, Costa Rica, and return to Port Everglades. last year I took the 15 day Rivers of Europe tour from Vienna to Amsterdam. Cruised at night and was docked for breakfast at each main town all up the three rivers,they had a coach at each town to go sight seeing and wine and brewery tasting. Food and accommodation was excellent.
John

#6 ·
John Rogers said:
Sailing on the Zaandam,ports of call are Half Moon Cay, Bahamas
Aruba,Curacao, thru the Panama canal,Colon, Limon, Costa Rica, and return to Port Everglades. last year I took the 15 day Rivers of Europe tour from Vienna to Amsterdam. Cruised at night and was docked for breakfast at each main town all up the three rivers,they had a coach at each town to go sight seeing and wine and brewery tasting. Food and accommodation was excellent.
John
River cruises suffer from our increasingly variable climate. In a drought the big river boats cannot navigate. If there is a flood, they cannot get under the bridges. A couple of years ago there was a big fuss because the Mosel boats were stranded and the passengers were taken daily by coach to visit the intended points of interest.

Fred

#7 ·
Right on Fred,even last year in June the Donnau river had risen a few feet and one of the old bridges near Regensberg was blocking us, we had to wait a couple of hours for the water to go down,but it was no problem, by the time breakfast was over we lowered the ships bridge and mast and we went under. The bridge and mast were all lowered by hyd rams.
John

#8 ·
Here is another article I found in my newsletter that others may like to read.
Royal Caribbean has announced another ground-breaking feature that will be available on the highly-anticipated Freedom of the Seas when it debuts in June of 2006. On the top deck of the ship, passengers will have the opportunity to try surfing or body boarding in the FlowRider Surf Park, a surfing pool that simulates the feeling of riding a 10-foot ocean wave moving at 20 miles per hour. The ride will accommodate one person at a time, and riders can choose from a 42-inch surfboard or a 30-inch body board. There are other innovative features of this new ship as well, including an interactive water playground, two hot tubs that are cantilevered out 12 feet from the sides of the ship, extensive WiFi capabilities and connectivity for cell phones.

You wont find me doing this.
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.