Ships Nostalgia banner

Keynes

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  calvin 
#1 ·
Anyone have any pictures or information on the Stevenson Clarke collier Keynes that used to run into Newhaven in the 50's and 60's.

Thanks
Andy G

#5 · (Edited)
Ahoy,
A friend send me this one, no sources or credits to be given.
Only details I found was that the Keynes was built in 1950 as Ac*** and renamed Titika and scrapped in Piraeus in 1984

Attachments

#6 ·
Hi Andy

Keynes (II) (1946 - 1966)
ON 180839
1563grt 826net 2230dwt
269'11" x 36'6" x 16'10 1/4"
T.3-cyl by North Eastern Marine Co (1938) Ltd,. Sunderland
March 1946 completed by S P Austin & Son Ltd Sunderland
1966 Sold to Torsten Johannisson, Sweden and r/n GRANITA IV
1969 Broken up in Gothenburg.

I have a, less than perfect, pic which is a copy of a copy which I will let you have if you can find any thing better

Regards

NigelC

#9 ·
my father was cook/steward on the keynes in 1966 when she was sold, my understanding at that time was, she was going to be used as a drilling platform in scandanavia, one of the last of the coal fired colliers if i remember correctly. i was on her in seaham harbour (visiting my old man) while she was in the process of being sold, met a fireman by the nickname of "ringo" young bloke, but a throwback to stokers of old! regards, john hardy.

#12 ·
r hankinson AB rh56006

hi i worked on the keynes for a couple of months in the late sixties,i joined at diables whaf southhampton draged a dead deck hand from the ships hold and put him in the crains coalbocket,then sailed the same everning,she had teloscopic masts and to my mind was the most dangerous ship i worked on,money was good,rolled all the time at sea due to a flat bottom,polish boson,mate was no good,could not be botherd with supervision of body removal,hope this helps

#13 ·
I can recall how the Keynes used to move silently up river,Enpty, to the swinging berth just north of the island. Then suddenly drop anchor and commence her swing.
I (we) never heard the Keynes approach.
Scared the heck out of the young lady beneath me! I lookedm up at her Focsul to see grinning faces peering down us. Never saw that lass again Andy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.