Ships Nostalgia banner

Asprella.

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Ron Stringer 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any idea of what happened to the "Asprella"? I joined her in Kiel in Germany in 1959 for her maiden voyage and my cabin was number 208. We went to Amsterdam to load fresh water for Gibralter before going to Kuwait for our first cargo. Although she was a lovely little ship she was a terrible feeder and I couldn't wait to get off her for a decent meal. I believe she was stretched within a few years.
Vindi Phil.

#3 ·
Vindi Phil

To answer your question the Asprella was eventually sold for scrap and she arrived at Gadani Beach, Karachi in 1982.
I used to look after her at Stanlow as shipping agent where she arrived from Guayanilla (Puerto Rico) and sometimes Curacao.
She was one of my favourites and it was there I met a number of Shell Captains who I became friendly with.

Regards
Keith

#6 ·
We had her in drydock at Lairds once or twice. She was always known as the 'Sarsaparilla'
Built by Howaltdswerk in Kiel, she was a regular in the Mersey

#7 ·
Hi Mike.
Hope you are well
.Your the first person that Ive meet that was on the same ship as me, even if it was for a mere five days. I signed on as jos with my Cardiff mate billy Wilson sos.
nearly got logged that first day as we were sent up to Swansea hospital for a blood test ( still not sure of the reasons why) Billy fainted at the sight of his blood and so we were dropped off in the town centre by an ambulance that was going that way.We still had the return taxi fare in our pockets, so we did a pub crawl, arriving back at the ship a bit late and worse for wear. Hic!

#8 ·
Hi Geoff,
I'm keeping well, thanks for asking. The blood tests were due to the Asprella being a chemical carrier (Toulene, Benzene, Xylene etc) personal contamination by the cargo via fumes or contact directly could lead to Leukemia, the blood tests were just screening proceedure. I was worse for wear in Swansea most times we returned there, plenty of girls and great pubs - what more would a young lad ask for at that time...

#9 ·
Hi Mike
Thanks for that info on the blood tests, i remember those chemicals that's one of the reasons i only did one trip on her. Funny that xylene was still being used in paint thinners years later. I worked for an industrial painting contractor here in NZ and the spray painters would wash themselves in the stuff to remove the over spray off their faces and hands. No matter how many times you told them not to do it , they just carried on with the practice.
The food wasn't that bad on her, but i suppose its what you got used to, she was better than some i sailed on.
One of the things i remember about her was the weather computer? that was in the chart room, the first time i heard it i was on the wing of the bridge on lookout. Then this godawful din came out of the bridge and i went rushing in to see what was wrong, it sounded like someone rattling a few tin cans full of stones. The mate then showed me this large box against the side of the chart room that was making all this noise.
(Pint)

#10 ·
Hi Geoff,

I remember the food as being okay on her. One thing I do distinctly remember about the Asprella was going ashore in Puerto Rico with Pete Skane the Second Mate. We called in at the Hotel International in Ponce, ordered a Rum & Coke when Pete asked the barman to call the hotel's manager. "How can you charge these prices when the rum is local and the coke is from the USA". The manager apologised and said our next drink would be on the house. As it turned out we drank for free all night because the manager was still in the bar area & Pete gave him the 'thumbs up' each time we had finished our drink - that the barman interpreted as an okay for another 'free drink' Happy days

#11 ·
Good evening gents, I'm trying to find some information about my uncle for my cousins. Their father isnt to well . He's had a few strokes.

All we know is at sometime he was in the the Merchant Navy and served on Asprella. He has said that he got in big trouble whilst on her for busting some blokes knee. hope it wasn't your knee . His name is Royston (Roy) Bailey.He's from Cardiff. We don't have much too go on. Would anyone have any information, a service number etc... or a photo of the Asprella please. many thanks.
Tony

#12 ·
If you click on GALLERY, above, (below the bow of the cargo ship with the black-topped Blue funnel) and then scroll down the page, you will see a 'Search' box. Type the name Asprella in there, press 'Go' and take your pick of the photos that come up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.