Ships Nostalgia banner

Amazing pictures of submerged lifting vessels

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  O.M.Bugge 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 · (Edited)
Magic boats, Wijsmuller should have patented the idea. When I first saw the concept on a paper napkin in '73 it was a couple of hours before I'd calculated that it would/could work. As for how they cope with the load in rough seas, the sea fastening can be built to suit the expected weather, it's also built to class requirements, to suit the underwriters of the load. The loaded voyages are, "Weather Routed", either from De Bilt or Bracknel, ships keep to the coast as much as possible, and await good weather windows for trans ocean runs.

#8 ·
****up in a force8

I have sailed as a second mate and as a mate on these same ships. Wasn't there for the USS Cole voyage though. Can assure you that the seakeeping characteristics of these vessels is extremely good, even in the North Sea off Stavanger with a Force 10-11 blow, with a 100m+ structure carried on the back. But, as with anything else, when the going gets tough, you..............well, head into the wind!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.