Ships Nostalgia banner

Ship Scrapping List

15K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  jmcg 
#1 ·
I have set up a blog which you may find interesting
called The Ship Scrapping List at:-

http://merseyshipping.blogspot.com

I try and keep up with shipping heading for Alang, China, Bangladesh and Pakistan

Please have a look and see what you think.

#8 ·
Sal,

Congratulations on the basics.

As an experienced researcher and established author, I would offer a suggestion to give your work more validity.

Currently it is a list, not that you claim anything else and gives no acknowledgement as to your sources.

If you want it to become a research tool then you really need to list your sources as you would find in a printed or digital reference book so that anyone utilising it can expand their search.

That for example would permit someone like myself to source reference your site which in turn would reference your base source back to its root.

Just a thought but a good start nevertheless.

Regards
Bill

#11 · (Edited)
Sal,

Congratulations on the basics.

As an experienced researcher and established author, I would offer a suggestion to give your work more validity.

Currently it is a list, not that you claim anything else and gives no acknowledgement as to your sources.

If you want it to become a research tool then you really need to list your sources as you would find in a printed or digital reference book so that anyone utilising it can expand their search.

That for example would permit someone like myself to source reference your site which in turn would reference your base source back to its root.

Just a thought but a good start nevertheless.

Regards
Bill

Thank you all for your comments, very kind of you.

To answer bill, yes it's just a list at the moment, it didn't set out to be a complete reference site.

I found google can do that better than I can and quicker :)

The information sourced is available widely on the web, the only bit which I do is cross reference the vessel across a number of sources to gain the IMO number, that takes the time.

It is not very often you get the vessel name with the IMO number, the name might not be correct, the type of vessel stated might not be correct the tonnage might not be right, so a lot to do per entry.

It's only in it's early stages, who knows what might happen.

Cheers

#10 ·
Appreciate the work you have put into the compilation SAL, it certainly struck me that barring for a handful most were built after I had retired. Certainly do not build them like they use to when you think that Companies like Brock's hung on to their pre War tonnage well into the 1950's, that's if they survived the U-Boat's.

#21 ·
Has any S/N one ever taken a ship to her final graveyard in Alang?

What are the protocols?

Is there a special delivery crew from her last port of discharge or from date of sale?.

Is she stripped of all the essentials at the anchorage at Bhavagnar prior to her final run to Alang anchorage?

Indian crew for the last thrust to the beach?

How long after beaching is crew released and how etc.?

I am fascinated by the sheer volume of breaking at Alang.

The AIS port tab will show vessels currently awaiting the final run up to the beach.

Only ever took one to the breakers - Roonagh Head to Castellon , Spain where we 'tied up' alongside.

Many thanks in advance.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

#23 ·
Alang and other such breakers.

I have for some time wondered just how the really heavy bits of ship,usually at the stern, ie shafting are brought ashore.

I have seen the videos of twenty or so chaps carrying large plates ashore and have wondered how many dozens to carry or perhaps roll a VLCC's tail shaft ashore.

Any one know?

regards

Malky

#24 · (Edited)
Malky

Yes I have seen an ILO presentation where it clearly showed how the heavy parts are recovered.

On the beach can be found windlasses and winches (ancient ) with huge coils of wire and ropes "bent" on. These are run out to the piece to be recovered and then it is hauled ashore to face the gas axe.

The "driver" of the windlass /winch sits under a makeshift cover of sorts.

Fascinating !

I still have it (the presentation on disc) somewhere. If I find it I will PM you should you wish to view.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.