Ships Nostalgia banner

Shaw Savill Society (NZ Branch)

25K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  Shaky Mick 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is to inform any former Shaw Savill Line crew, who are not already members of the Shaw Savill Society, that we are actively seeking new members to join. Our organisation has branches in UK, Australia and New Zealand, and we have been operating successfully since 1983 after the Company closed down.

The UK Society has annual Reunions in a different city every March, and in Australia a reunion every second year - the next one in Brisbane, June 2006.

In New Zealand, our reunions are alternative years with Australia and we had very successful reunion in Wellington in April 2005. Our next National Reunion will be in April 2007 in Tauranga.

In the Auckland area - we are very active, and have two BBQ's per annum - Christmas and also a Mid Winter BBQ. We also have mini-reunions once a year - this year in Bay of Islands and next one planned for South Island.

The Society has its own logo-styled Society Merchandise, and we produce a twice yearly newsletter.

Any former crew members or anyone with interest in Shaw Savill are eligible to join us - please contact: ******** for more details or application form.

Jamie Shedden
Subscriptions Officer
Shaw Savill NZ Branch

See less See more
#2 ·
I've deleted the email address from the above post. Always done with the best of intentions, but there is always the possiblity that it could generate some unwelcome mail.
If you wish to contact Jamie, check his profile - there are two options in there to get in touch.

#3 ·
Good luck to you all. I envy you having a barby in Auckland, my former home when I lived and worked at Cornwall Hospital in Cornwall Park. The hospital is long since gone of course, but my memory is still there as are my trips north on my days off in my 1939 Morris 12 when I used to drive north to see friends in Keri Keri. Ka Pai te kai at your next BBQ?!. David Cole

#5 ·
Shaw Savill

Hi Nick,

Just spotted your message - sorry have not been online for a while. So what brings you to sunny California? Are you still in shipping?

Caught up with a couple of Savillites this week - Mick Bullock (Capt of containership) and Tony O'Prey (Hotel Manager with RCCL). Mick is home in NZ for two weeks and Tony flew back to LAX yesterday to rejoin "Vision of the Seas" based at Los Angeles. He tells me he will be bases in Seattle for Alaska season from May.

UK reunion in Torquay in March - and our next one in Tauranga April 2007 - maybe you could manage the next NZ Reunion??

Good to hear from - keep in touch,

Cheers Jamie

#6 ·
Further to my post in October, not answered, I was a passenger on Northern Star in 1968 when I emigrated to New Zealand. Pictures in my Gallery. She had engine trouble so only called at Wellington meaning we passengers for Auckland either had to fly up as I did, or take the train. Auckland was then my home until 1971. Perhaps it was that I did not mention that I sailed on Northern Star that my post was not answered?!. David

#7 · (Edited)
Shaw Savill Line

Hello,
My Dad was posted to Trinidad in 1934 in the T&T Police. I was born there, and travelled to the U.K. and back in 1945, 1949 and lastly in 1952. The last trip was on the H.M.T. Georgic. (a) Was this a Shaw Savill ship ? (b) I am sure that my Dad said that the ship we went on either in 1949 or 1952 was on its Maiden voyage and that it was a Shaw Savill ship. I vaguely remember that the name started with an 'A', but this could be all wrong. The trips were always in the summer. Any help there, please ?
Rup.

#11 ·
Shaw Savill Society

Hello Mick - Regarding your interest in joining the Shaw Savill Society - I assume you are in United Kingdom - so you will want to join the UK Branch.
As I am not allowed to publish my email here - I suggest you check out my profile and there are ways of contacting me there. I can then put you in touch with the membership secretary of the UK Branch.
Which ships did you serve as deckie on SSL fleet - the UK branch secretary is Deck Officer Graham Pepper - you may already know him!
I have just returned from Med Cruise on the classic liner Oceanic - see photos in my gallery.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Cheers Jamie

#17 ·
Shaw Savill Society

Hello Big Low - did you receive the application form to join the Society as I arranged for secretary to send the form or email to you?

Our Christmas BBQ will be on Sat 1st December - would be opportunity for you to meet a few of our members.

Please let me know if you received the application,

Cheers Jamie

#18 ·
Welcome Aboard Stewart

Hi Jamie, been way too long since we last had a dram either in Auckland or Bute. Just found this site and got logged on with considerable help from a very patient andy bright. Will put mre details in with the xmas card.

Stewart(A)
Good to see you on this site Stewart - never knew you are secret ships's buff! Hope you get as much pleasure from this site as I do - so many wonderful images of old ships - its truly a nostalgic website - so many happy memories!
Keep in touch

#21 ·
Hi Jamie Sorry I have been slow in responding to my membership application but I have just sold the house and at present living with the daughter and son in law. Hoping to have built a cottage in the next 6 weeks then I can unpack and find the application forms. They are in a box somewhere.

#23 ·
Hi GWB - in response to your query regarding the Aust Branch of the Shaw Savill Society - the Society was active in Australia for many years having very good reunions in Sydney (many) Melbourne (1) and the last one was in Brisbane (2006) when it was decided to amalgamate with the NZ Branch as no one was willing to organise further events in Australia. As result of this, it was voted at the NZ Reunion in Tauranga in 2007 that Australian members could join the NZ branch ~ and many have done so.
I am the subscriptions co-ordinator and if you wish to join - please send me your personal email and I will email application form to you - cost being Aus$25 per family/couple per annum.
Our next reunion is the 150th Anniversary in Wellington in October this year = and already I am taking bookings for the event - with many attending from Australia.

Cheers Jamie

#40 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Gerry Mason from Newmarket here wishing to join your club.I worked on the SSS up until 1972, first as a Steward then a Catering Officer. Please send details so I can submit my details. Thanks
Hi Gerry

Just been re-reading some of the messages on this forum and note your message from April 2008 ~ sorry I cannot recall if I ever replied to you but if you still interested ~ would like to welcome you aboard. If you can provide me with your personal email by private message ~ I can send you application forms for Society and next reunion. Cheers Jamie

#27 ·
William Murdoch Bill

This is to inform any former Shaw Savill Line crew, who are not already members of the Shaw Savill Society, that we are would actively seeking new members to join. Our organisation has branches in UK, Australia and New Zealand, and we have been operating successfully since 1983 after the Company closed down.

The UK Society has annual Reunions in a different city every March, and in Australia a reunion every second year - the next one in Brisbane, June 2006.

In New Zealand, our reunions are alternative years with Australia and we had very successful reunion in Wellington in April 2005. Our next National Reunion will be in April 2007 in Tauranga.

In the Auckland area - we are very active, and have two BBQ's per annum - Christmas and also a Mid Winter BBQ. We also have mini-reunions once a year - this year in Bay of Islands and next one planned for South Island.

The Society has its own logo-styled Society Merchandise, and we produce a twice yearly newsletter.

Any former crew members or anyone with interest in Shaw Savill are eligible to join us - please contact: ******** for more details or application form.

Jamie Shedden
Subscriptions Officer
Shaw Savill NZ Branch
How do I join?Would like to make contact with deck crew that I was with 60'sand 70's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.