Ships Nostalgia banner

Bibby Line

167K views 417 replies 121 participants last post by  Arthur Talbot 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I started on this site not too long ago, mainly looking at the Brocks entries as I served my time with them and that site is particularly strong. One thing surprises me though is that there does not seem to be any Bibby Line members or not owning up anyway.
Is there anybody out there who was with Bibby, I sailed with them 1968 to 1973 or thereabouts.

Rgds

DerekT

#30 ·
I sailed with Captain Albert Edward Young in the late 1960s he was master I was a gadget and he spoke to me 3 times if I remember and one was Switch those clusters off!!

It was on the Rangoon Run via the Cape as suez was closed and if I remember rightly he had his wife with him.
He was not very tall and used to carry box around to be able to see over the dodgers.

Dick

#393 ·
Capt. 'Tiger' Young

I sailed with Captain Albert Young (Tiger) in 1965 on the "Shropshire" as a deck cadet. We were on charter to CSAV and did two runs loading around the continent for the West Coast South America and then backloaded for the Continent. What a fabulous run and what a terrific Master.
Arthur M.

#32 ·
Hi Guys! I sailed with Capt Young on the "Worcestershire" Dec 1959 to March 1960, it was my last trip with Bibby ... proud to have served. I originally joined them to boost my Navigation skills prior to sitting for First Mate and liked it enough to stay on ... all mates turned out for morning and evening star sights, in addition to the normal Noon deal ... aced my writtens! Does anyone remember we wrote the rough log on a slate with a slate pencil and perspiration droplets fell onto it and partly erased it so the 3RD Mate had a hell of a job to write the Fair Log. I bet the Admiralty Lawyers didn't like not
having a Rough Log to find fault with! Snowy

#35 ·
Re Captain Young, when I was on the Cheshire in 1951 he was chief officer, this was a come down as previously he had sailed in command of the Warwickshire, but due to his lack of seniority he was back as chief officer for a while (he was not a happy bunny!). I think this was because Bibbys had sold the Oxfordshire in 1951. I met him again in Calcutta when I was with Brocklebanks he was then in command of the Yorkshire. This would have been in 1959. Cheers, Roger

#36 ·
Thankyou Roger for the update on Capt. Young ... one of my Uncles (Ex-Para.Reg.) received his MBE for work done after after being demobbed from WWII... did you ever sail with Capt. R.D. Fitch who also was awarded a Gong, as you so aptly put it ? He practically made a career out of the new "Oxfordshire" ... one of the best Captains I ever sailed with. Snowy

#39 ·
I sailed on the Lincolnshire twice and also the Staffordshire if I remember rightly British ratings took the ships from the chinese ratings !
For a period of about 2 Years,
Then We were all made redundant and the ships were crewed by Philopeno ratings.
Strongly suspect that we were only there to bring the ships upto standard!
However I remember both ships with fond memories and we certainly had some good nights ashore.
If memory serves at one point we dry-docked in Lisbon for 2 Months ...enough said !!!....lol

#40 ·
Roger,
Glad that my post brought back good memories. As regards Shelly I remeber just before we sailed an article about him was in the Liverpool Echo as the 'Golfing Captain' including a photograph.

My mother was a District Nurse in Cheshire and nursed Sir Harold Bibby in his latter years. Lady Bibby told her the story that Shelly was the only surviving Deck Officer and came up out of the Yorkshire and surfaced completely naked except for his uniform cap which he was gripping for dear life (drowning man and straws comes to mind.)

He was master for my first and last trip with Bibbys I remember as one of the 'old school'

Dick

#41 ·
Dick, Bibbys had a small history printed and in reference to the Yorkshire it mentions that 33 passengers and 25 crew were lost. I know there has been some more details in Sea Breezes and I will see if I can find them. I remember Frank Bardy telling me that as he made his way to the lifeboats he saw the chief officer still sitting in a trance and in a state of shock and unable to move. The memory had always stuck with him. He also said that they had seen the U-Boat on the surface during the day and more or less knew that someone was going to get it. Grim days, Regards. Roger

#42 · (Edited)
I joined MV Warwickshire 6th September 1968 in Hong Kong the under the command of Alan Hudson, as a deck cadet a pretty awsome experience!
Allan Melia was Sparks originally from the Chesire area I think.

Mr Toby at Water Street offices was the interviewer for original interview before I joined the Bibby that Patch over his face (old war wound?) gave me plenty to think about.

Took a run ashore for a few years but once the salt gets in the blood---I returned to work in the Offshore industry for a few years before heading for the ferries between Vancouver and the Island.

Have many pleasant memories of time at sea including chasing a badito who nicked Jock Mathesons (ENG) wifes hand bag in Callao SA. Got a telling off for being so bloody stupid!!! CSAV charter onboard Yorkshire memory is fading!!

Any other memories or contact would be welcome thro the forum.

Now for a stubby or two.

#114 ·
Garfield Toby

Garfield Toby the fearsome Personnel Manager during my stint from 1972 to 1976 was never at sea as far as I know. I am sure that I remember being told by somebody that he lost his eye and part of his face as a result of taking a direct hit while he was serving in a tank during the war. I also recall Captain Hudson spent his 17th birthday in a lifeboat, having been torpedoed. He was my first 'old man' on the Worcestershire in 1972.

Martyn Sutton

#83 ·
Hey R870708,
That was the trip I was there, Alan was R/0
and other things I can't remember! 3 cadets in all I joined in Japan before the others. Wasn't Clayton the mate? Or have I got it wrong!! Did a trip up the lakes if I remember rightly

Dick
Hello Dick or is that Richard as I recall.
Good to hear through the forum that some of us are still around.
Have just responded to Alan Melia but didnt realise it was to a private e mail, like navigation never did read the regulations, changed days now currently taking a break from my own company to work for the next two years in Shanghai as GM of Shipping Company and yes I get to play with the toys from time to time.
Simon Tudor-Jones was one of the other cadets that we sailed with he loved his Tawney Owl cigars. more memories are most welcome.

#45 ·
mv "Warwickshire"

Hi Guys
This is Alan Melia. Yes we joined Warwickshire in Hongkong in a big rush but the ship had not turned up! Remember we had a great couple of days in the Merchant Navy Hotel, saw the sights etc.
"Rock" Hudson was the Master and Clayton the Mate. Without consulting old Bibby house mags can,t remember many of the others, anyone got a list?
I have cine film of that voyage, remember racing the model cars we bought in Japan?
Was 5th Eng Mark Blaxland?
Anyway, nice surprise hearing from old friends
Alan

#46 ·
Hi Guys
This is Alan Melia. Yes we joined Warwickshire in Hongkong in a big rush but the ship had not turned up! Remember we had a great couple of days in the Merchant Navy Hotel, saw the sights etc.
"Rock" Hudson was the Master and Clayton the Mate. Without consulting old Bibby house mags can,t remember many of the others, anyone got a list?
I have cine film of that voyage, remember racing the model cars we bought in Japan?
Was 5th Eng Mark Blaxland?
Anyway, nice surprise hearing from old friends
Alan
hi is that the same hudson iwas asking about the chief off was called redman.

#49 ·
Alan Hudson

Must be. There was only one Captain Alan Hudson during to late 60's/Early 70's. I did two voyages with him, Worcestershire and Warwickshire spanning 1968/1969. I understand from his stories that he was a Cadet in WWII so must have been due to retire in the mid 70's
Best Wishes
Alan Melia

#52 ·
Warwickshire/Atlantic Bridge

Must be. There was only one Captain Alan Hudson during to late 60's/Early 70's. I did two voyages with him, Worcestershire and Warwickshire spanning 1968/1969. I understand from his stories that he was a Cadet in WWII so must have been due to retire in the mid 70's
Best Wishes
Alan Melia
Hi Alan,

I was 3/O with you on Warwickshire ( I joined in Yokohama) and 2/O on Atlantic Bridge. You will remember our prolonged stay in Antwerp on Atlantic Bridge. Captain Hudson loved telling his stories - he loved them so much they had to be told twice or even three times over for effect! I'm now living in South Devon and recently met up with Dave Clayton for a few beers. In fact, I only found out by accident that we've been living only half a mile apart for the past 8 years. Mind you, the River Dart does form a bit of a barrier.

Best wishes to you,

Ken

#47 ·
Alan,
So you are still around!!! I remember going ashore and buying replica guns with you, we must have been bloody mad! You I think bought an replica Automatic and I a Replica 38 Police special!!! Mine was confiscated at Manchester Airport on arrival home with a promise of no further action but it would be test fired never heard from 'em since and that was 40!!!! years ago - what happened to yours?!!! And to you?

Some good runs ashore if I remember rightly, up the Great Lakes especially, last I saw of you was when you were sparks on the Wiltshire(?) in Wiltons Holland,I was on a bulker as 3/0, early 70s, I think was Wiltshires maiden voyage and she had a problem. And yes I remember the model cars - mainly in the alley way outside your cabin, and the Bar

Dick

#48 · (Edited)
mv Warwickshire

Hi Dick
Yes you may have seen me in Holland. I think me and a few others came across to your ship for a visit and a few beers. (My Walther PPK 32 automatic is still in my socks draw!)
After Warwickshire I went round the fleet, Atlantic Bridge, Cheshire (new one)
Oxfordshire, Lincolnshire, English Bridge, a full year or so on Dart Atlantic and Dart America and funnily enough, last voyage back on Warwickshire together with my wife.
Yes got married and swallowed the pick. Came ashore in 1975 to Lecture in Marine Electronics at Brunel College Bristol. Am still here but there is no salt left in what we teach these days.
Any way, nice to remember those days, having a hell of a job recalling faces and names from that voyage, although "Rock" Hudson is firmly imprinted on the mind. Before joining you on Warwickshire I had just done 9 months on "Worcestershire" with "Rocky". Was the C/Eng Gresham? Seem to remember he liked to go around stealing things for a laugh. Up the great lakes we went on a German ship and Gresham disabled the engine, big stink afterwards, German Captain not very happy. Also, Gresham used to jump off the Boat deck sun awning into the swimming pool! He had to time the ships roll right to get max depth of water when he jumped in!
Any way, often think of the old days, nice to hear from you.
Alan

#51 ·
Alan,
Thanks for the memories - yes I remember c/eng and a few cohorts going on board the German vl, borrowing a fork lift truck to do so if I remeber rightly And Hudson going to apologise and been made to feel a right heel.

The memories come flooding back

Richard

#53 ·
Warawickshire/Atlantic Bridge

Hi Ken
Nice to hear from you. Yes I remember now, you had a full set in those days which I think you shaved off one day for a change! The Engines needed work so we spent time in Antwerp (William Tell came from Sulzer!). Then on leaving, we belted a cargo ship (Balto?) and put her in dry dock, meanwhile we took the engines apart again! Didn't the boiler go for the chop so we spent a week in Norfolk Virginia while the yanks rebuilt it? Have got some cine film of that voyage but can't remember many of the names. I think "Jumbo" Jones was master. The C/Eng was a nice bloke, can picture him now but can't recall name. 3/E "Dave" (played guitar so we formed a group!) We went to Port Headland Australia for ore. Anyway, let me know if you recall any of the others.
Best wishes
Alan

#54 ·
Hi Ken
Nice to hear from you. Yes I remember now, you had a full set in those days which I think you shaved off one day for a change! The Engines needed work so we spent time in Antwerp (William Tell came from Sulzer!). Then on leaving, we belted a cargo ship (Balto?) and put her in dry dock, meanwhile we took the engines apart again! Didn't the boiler go for the chop so we spent a week in Norfolk Virginia while the yanks rebuilt it? Have got some cine film of that voyage but can't remember many of the names. I think "Jumbo" Jones was master. The C/Eng was a nice bloke, can picture him now but can't recall name. 3/E "Dave" (played guitar so we formed a group!) We went to Port Headland Australia for ore. Anyway, let me know if you recall any of the others.
Best wishes
Alan
We did indeed spend a long time in Antwerp and even went to dry-dock after our spat with the Balto. I seem to remember a heap of scrap tubes and bricks on our poop as the boiler repairs progressed in Norfolk. As for personnel, Eric Jones was Master, Ron Neish was C/O, Roger Madison was 3/O, "Veal" MacNeil was Purser, C/E was Robertson? (plus wife) 2/Eng ??, 4/E was Willie?, 5/E was Phil? from Liverpool and J/E was Roger? from Bristol. Neish lives in Totnes but has had major health problems over the past 12 years. Came across Phil when he was 2/E on Mersey Bridge in Ghent in 1976.
Never mind the full set - I'd be content if there was hair on the top of my head nowadays! Do you remember the Aussie nurse who came to the ship in Port Hedland to update our vaccinations? She was given too much to drink and went back to her surgery with iron ore-coloured handprints all over her white uniform! Happy Days.

Ken

#55 ·
Atlantic Bridge

Hi Ken
As long as that nurse didn,t have a son called "Rusty", we are fairly safe. Thanks for the crew list, some of the memory has come into sharper focus. We had two 3rd Engineers, the one with the Guitar was Dave Barnes, the other I can see clearly but can't name (was that Willie?). I remeber Phil well, quite tall as I recall. We had a couple of Engineer cadets who no doubt went on to great things. Roger Madison, although overweight, was very strong and could do one handed push-ups. Remember we had some fun with the roulette wheel.
Any way, pass my regards on to any of the others you are in touch with.
Best Wishes
Alan

#56 ·
Hi guys ,
a few of you have been talking about the Warwickshire and capt Hudson , i was on warwickshire twice jan 69 to sept 69 as deck cadet and march 71 to oct 71 as 3/0 . Have numerous pics scanned to pc from various bibby line ships of lads on board , unfortunately have forgot a lot of names , here is one of the warwickshire bar with capt hudson in it , anyone know the names of the others .

mike

Attachments

#59 ·
Warwickshire

Hi Mike
You must have left Warwickshire in Hongkong the same time as I joined her (8/09/69). Yes that is indeed "Rock" Hudson in the corner of the bar but although some of the other faces are familiar, can't place any names. Hope you post more pictures, am in the process myself of digging out old slides for posting. Best wishes

Alan

#57 ·
Well, if anyone here is currently with Bibby Line might I ask that they contact their office to answer emails? *sigh* Several attempts to glean some info on MV Cheshire and not one single reply.