Ships Nostalgia banner

Castlebank

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Donald McGhee 
#1 ·
Searching for a photograph of the barque Castlbank,built 1894 lost with all hands 1896.
Regards
Nev Gray

#2 ·
Castlebank (1894-1896) Steel barque. Completed by Russel and Co. Port Glasgow for Andrew Weir and Co.24.09 1896 sailed from Newcastle N.S.W. bound for Valparaiso with a cargo of coal and disappeared. Courtesy of Bank Line 1885-1985 by H.S. Appleyard page 30 including photo.

#8 ·
The kickMurphy pdf link above, brings home the life at sea in Weir's sailing fleet in such a vivid and of course, sad way. Personal accounts like this are worth any number of photos.

I can remember visiting the Pamir in B.A. shortly before she was lost in mid Atlantic with all hands - mostly young lads, and often wonder what the end might have been like.

#9 ·
I guess we all thought we had it hard at times when serving our time, but my Father served his time with Nisbets of Glasgow, the Blair boats, and according to him the apprentices lived in a canvas structure behind the funnel!
Tales of being suspended on a heaving line, while at sea to get in the galley scuttle and steal more food had a ring of truth about them, but that was in 1932, so times seemed a lot tougher, God knows what it was like on sailing ships.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.