Ships Nostalgia banner

Trevaylor - Hain Nourse tramper

24K views 35 replies 28 participants last post by  oldseamerchant 
#1 ·
Hi all, Does anyone know of the last days of the Trevaylor?? I sailed in her as catering boy in 1965-66, three very interesting & different voyages,to Beaumont Texas (anyone remember "Hurricane Betsy"?)for grain to UK, then to Churchill in the Hudson Bay, Canada, we won the "Ice race " that year for the first vessel to make it through the pack ice around the Davis straits. how I wish I'd been into photography then the pictures I still have in my head of the 'bergs, whales, polarbears,will have to do,I suppose. The final trip was to China via Suez where we were set upon by a gang of painters who changed the funnel markings from black with a white H to blue with conjoined white HN this was when the company hains became Hains Nourse. I believe the nourse ships were named after asian rivers?. many tales to tell of those trips, will post again soon.
rennop

#3 ·
MV Trevaylor

Bruce ,Thanks Vmuch for the info Its a shame she had such and end to her life. I remembered some years ago that there was a print hung in the officers saloon of a Cornish country house named Trevaylor house. In 2000 my wife & I took our touring van down to Cornwall for a weeks holiday, everywhere we went I asked in tourist information & shops etc if anyone knew of the house, but no luck until the last day in a seconhand bookshop in Mousehole I asked the chap behind the counter (who looked like Capt Birdseye!!) if he'd heard of it & he said of course its on the moor between Penzance & St Ives!. He went on to say that the original Mr Hain had lived outside St Ives in a large house (now a hotel) with the prefix TRE and that all the TRE boats were named after Cornish Houses. We found the house which is now a nursing home and asked the manager if we could take some pics , after explaining why he agreed and said they had no idea that a ship had been named for the house. He also said that the house had belonged until the eighties to the Brooke family of Brooke Bond tea fame. Anyway I sent him a pic of the ship and we now visit Cornwall every spring taking 3 of grandchilren with us.
thanks again Bruce,
Paul

#4 ·
Hi Paul

Trevaylor - She was my shortest period on any vessel, about 2 hours to be precise. Signed on in the morning and off in the afternoon (Sick) althought the signing off had to be dated the following day. Didn't even get out of the London Docks. That was in Sept 1968.

As to her history she was sold in 1973 to Gerontina Compania Naviera S A Greece (Mgrs: Hunter Shipping Co Ltd London) and r/n Evgenia 1.

On the 11 Sept 76 she grounded North of Jeddah in the Red Sea on passage from Houston USA to Hodeidah in the Yemen with General cargo. Although she was refloated she had to beached again due to severe bottom damage. All attempt at salvage were unsuccessfull and she was declared a total loss.

Regards

NigelC

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks Bruce Carson for the photie of Trevaylor. Happy memories. had to dig out my Indentures to see when I served aboard her as Deck Apprentice. Joined her on 16apr62, 17 yrs old, forget where, (not recorded on the Indenture) remember being phoned up from St.Mary Axe, (after a 10 day leave from a 10 month voyage) by the Superintendent (very important) telling me that I was required to join her immediately "only for a quick trip down to Rosario and back for a cargo of grain". Got home back to me Mum 12 months later! What a laugh, did my 4 years "time" on three Hains vessels, Tremorvah/Trevaylor/Trebartha. Even as a lad I remember Trevaylor as being a better build by Barclay Curle. Better than the usual crappy Redheads jobs, 90 of 'em I believe for Hains over their time. Retired a few years ago, 40 years at sea, 25 of them in command. Good life, can't complain.

#8 ·
Hi Artie, long time since a post on the Trevaylor, Just before I joined her I was in the 'Pool in Posterngate, Hull as a daft 16 year old cat boy I asked for a trip "somewhere warm" Anyway they gave me the name Trevaylor & said it would be the Gulf of Mexico, I said great when do I sign on? they then gave me a travel warrant & 17/6d expenses & told me to make my way to Bremerhaven where she was discharging!! I wonder how many 16 year olds these dayswould make that trip on their own - Hull to Kings X train Kings X Liverpool st to Harwich, ferry to Hoek van Holland - train to Bremen tram/train to Bremerhaven 2 days absolutely knackered! & skint spent my exes by Harwich, worth it though she was a great ship, palled up with some of the middys & one (Stewart Gillogley)recently got back in touch with me after 42 years!!, cheers Artie
Rennop

#9 ·
Hi Rennop
Like me i was on the Pool in Posterngate.My home Town.(I'm still here) when I left Gravesend Seaschool I had to report there in my uniform.All the lads
took the micky out of me.Still I joined my first ship in Hull,I was away 9 months.There would,nt be many 16 years old do the journey you did.I bet
you was releived when you got to the ship.Glad you enjoyed the trip.She
was a good ship though.Its great to hear from you old pal after all those
years.
Cheers Artie

#10 ·
All,
Paul,a nice little journey, a test of initiative and resource.
I too had a joining experience with Hain's, I had to get to the Trelyon in Avonmouth at the rush for an evening sailing.
I was at Paddington and it was clear from the train times I would not make it, however there was a"Pullman" which would get me to Bristol in time, however it would cost an extra half Guinea, I 'phoned Hain's and spoke to one of the Marine Superintendents (Captain Madden?)who told me to take the Pullman and sod the expense!
I duly made the sailing, talk about the life of Reilly!
On a query, does anyone recall a Captain Antonovich (?) in Hains, I believe he changed his name on becoming naturalised, does anyone recall?
Yours aye,
Slick

#32 ·
Yes I sailed as an apprentice then third mate when Ludvic Antonovich was first mate
He was an absolute gentleman I seem to recall that he was from an aristocratic polish family.always used a long cigarette holder and was a charming man.
I spent many hours in his company and still have a photo of him somewhere
Ken Davidson

#12 ·
hi Paul

hi Paul i was on the trevaylor 26-2-80 til 10-12-60, 10 month trip, i was an EDH, the only one from liverpool, nice ship, bastard to steer, single berth accom, for ab,s had a room to my self, wow, went threw the panama canal 4 times that voyage, great food, dont no why they where called hungry hains, and i had been with blue funnel line first, she had better accom, than them , even aircon hahaha, we done new zealand, then to jamacia, to the east coast of america, down to cuba, up to japan, across to vancouver, then paid off in immingham, with a load of timber, and a list to port, 10 months, later, home for xmas, but managed to get a ship out, before, i hated the cold weather, so went back to blue,s and off to java, indonesia, for 3 months,

#14 ·
I joined the Trevaylor in Smiths dock in the summer of 1963 as a second trip deck boy.My previous ship had been the BP tanker British Trust.Good accommodation good food and agood crew,Iwas in for a steep learning curve.We worked from 7am untill 8pm fitting shifting boxes in to the 5 hatches to enable us to load grain at our fisrt port of call which was Baton Rouge up the Mississippi river<which we never saw as we were still down the hatches finishing of the feeder boxes as we had been since lteaving the UK.Thats when the trouble started,the iced water bottles that were put on board for the yank dockers started to dissapear.We left that port and procded down to the Panama canal across tne Pacific to Yokahama Japan from then on every thing went balls to the wall ie bullying ,fights you name it happened on that trip I was never so missrable in my life.We loaded phosphate at a small island called Makatia part of the Sociaty Island chain.Then the long drag back to Japan,this trip we done three times so we considerd Japan was our home port,which we realy looked forward to.Then it was 1000 yen to the pound,10 bottles of Kirin beer to the pound.Places that I remember going to Yokahama, Tokio,Kobe,Niigata,Hokkiado,Murraran,Toyhama then accross the Pacific to load timber in British Columbia for Surrry Commercial London.we paid off in May 1964 nearly 10 month.Crew remembered Capn Eric Stewart C/O Marchant

#16 ·
hi Paul.joined trevaylor in avonmouth june 1965,paid off bremen june 1966.Loaded casablanca (phosphates)-tsamkong china.loaded japan-fiji-makatea (phosphates)-broke down into papeete (tahiti)for repairs-japan.japan-new caledonia-japan.back down to new caledonia,back to japan.loaded Bangkok for bremen.paid off there.Hungry Hains was about right.Lost 2 stone but had a great time.cheers gripper

#19 ·
Just been reading through the above. I served with hains from1953 to 1964 and remember some of the captains - Gravell, Price, Joslin, Pratt, LLoyd, Watkins, Annett, Dodson and Whittaker. Some I got on with, some I didn't, but thats another story.
I was on the Trelyon laid up in Malpas in early 63. One of the group was up for sale and when the inventory was made there was a lot more of gear on board that shouldn't have been!!!!
They were mostly good times and I have some very good memories.

#26 ·
Ioncomiker

I was on the Treneglos and we had a skipper by the Name of Watkins flown down from Japan to replace our Skipper. We were told that Watkins was the Commodore of the fleet and the Treneglos was the newest and Commodore ship in the fleet. Also we were informed that Watkins was taking her back home as he was due to retire. So we knew we were on our way home. I think it must have been the same guy in 5 months I never said more than 2 words to him and to a young EDH he looked 70 years old if he was a day

Ron

#28 ·
Hi Geoff Garrett.
I see that you joined the "Trevaylor" on 16th Apr 1962.
I joined her on the 14/04/1962 in drydock at Immingham as a first tripper Jun/Engineer.so we must have spoke to each other at some time.I remember the trip to Rosario,Bahiya Blanca,Engineero White.The captain was called Gravell.

#29 · (Edited)
I joined one of Hungry Hains tramps on Deck myself in Dec. 1962.. The Trecarroll, in Salford Docks.
They told us we were bound for Ghana and the West Coast and they were paying good overtime money for "real" sailors as apposed to 'Tankermen' as she was Heavy jumbo rigged to load the huge Mahogany deck cargo in Sapele, up the up the Nigerian fresh water creeks, bound for Antwerp.
What they forgot to tell us 'sailors' after we had all packed our shorts, flipflops and sunglasses was that she was first spending Xmas in Gydnia, loading Polish cement for Lagos.. That 1962 was one of the coldest winters on record, it was some cold Xmas day, the Baltic was frozen over.. Nearly froze all our cheap vodka.

We were a couple of months in West Africa and back about Easter 63

The deck cargo shifted in Biscay H/B and we had some hairy days loosing some cargo and getting back with bad port list. I was on her three or four months I think and yes she lived up to the name, she was Hungry all right....

#31 ·
Trevaylor

Hi Paul,just joined.Sailed on Trevaylor as Engineer Cadet from 24th Aug 1965 to early oct 65,but i thought we went to New Orleans first and then to Beaumont(louisiana or texas,not sure)then joined again19th oct 65 until paid off in 4th feb in Singapore with aggrevated hernia.I am not sure of all this as it´s such a long time ago and my memory is not so good.Captain on first trip was R.B Oliver and 2nd trip it was J. Sellars.Living in Spain now.Cheers(Gleam)

#34 ·
Hi David (Stokes)
I sailed with R. B. Oliver best skipper I ever sailed with. November 1964 we found a reef in Timaru we left the man behind in NZ for the inquiry while we went looking for a dry dock to fix our bottom 6 weeks in Wellington then 6 weeks in Hong Kong. I am pleased to know he got back to sea because he was a nice person. A lot of people in the Company called him Rock Dodger Ben but as far as I know he only found them once.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.