Ships Nostalgia banner

H.M.T Campina

11K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Ivan Parker-Brown 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am researching a boat for my father, on which my great uncle was on when it went down. The H.M.T Campina. I have quite a lot of info on the vessel but most of all he wants a picture. Could anyone please help as I am stuck now with where to look. I will share the information I have already if this helps.

Emerald/Campina
Built: 1913. Builders: Cochrane & Sons, Selby. Yard No: 555.
Launched: Saturday 8th February 1913.
Gross Tons: 289. Nett Tons: 115. Length: 133.4 feet. Beam: 23 feet. Draught: 12.2 feet.
Official Number: 133433.
Original Owners: Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull.

April 1919
Sold to the Amaranth Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby, and registered as GY.214.

February 1920
Sold to H. Bacon, Grimsby.

March 1920
Bought by Trawlers White Sea & Grimsby, Grimsby.

March 1922
Renamed Campina.

November 1927
Bought by the Crampin Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby.

October 1933
Sold to G. Dixon, Grimsby.

March 1937
Sold to A. Smith, Grimsby.

December 1938
Bought by the Vinur Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby.

Fate: Sank after hitting a mine off Holyhead whilst on Admiralty service on Monday 22nd July 1940

I would be very greatful for any help with this, either a picture, where I would possibly get a picture or just any more information on the vessle.

Many thanks

Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Dan, Your search is remarkably similer to mine for HMT Remarko which was lost due to a mine with all hands including my great grandfather. I hope there is the imformation out there but its understandable that not many photos of wartime vessels in service are about.

#8 ·
HMT Campina, I am researching some family history. My step uncle Richard galvin lost

Good Evening, I am researching our family history. My step uncle Richard galvin from Cork, Ireland was 2nd engineman on the HMT Campina when she went down on 22/6/1940 off Holyhead. Were any of the bodies retrieved and buried in Holyhead. We would love to go there and visit his grave
Kind regards
Denis Galvin
dmj.galvin123@yahoo.co.uk

#3 · (Edited)
H.M.T. Emerald/Campina

There is an entry for this vessel on page 145 of Gerald Toghill's Royal Navy Trawlers Part Two: Requisitioned Trawlers, 2004, Maritime Books, Liskeard. There's no photo in the book but there is a little more information, viz:

Armament: 1 x 12pdr.
Admiralty Number: 1579.
Pennant Number: 4. 153.

The vessel was requisitioned in November 1914 and served as a minesweeper during World War I; was requisitioned again in September 1939 and operated as an Auxiliary Patrol Vessel in World War II until her loss.

Toghill's book contains no mention of the vessel being renamed Campina, the entry is under the name of Emerald only.

Here's a link to the WRECK website page relating to Campina:

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?153891

The wreck of the vessel is still extant, as recorded by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales:

http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/272401/details/HMS+CAMPINA/

To end, here's a link to a forum where a S. Johnson identifies himself as the grandson of the Campina's skipper Fred (Tess) Wellburn Johnson and offers help to another enquirer, perhaps he can assist you too:

http://warsailors.com/forum/read.php?1,21525,34249#msg-34249

Hope this helps - cheers!

#4 · (Edited)
A photograph of her as EMERALD (133433) (H910) will illustrate her entry in Mike Thompson's new book, Cochrane's Shipbuilders, Beverley and Selby, Volume One (1884 - 1914) due to be published later in the year. Also North East Lincs Archive may hold a photograph of her as CAMPINA.
EMERALD was Cochrane Yd.No.555 and she was registered at Hull on 14.April1913 as (H910). Requisitioned for war service in Nov 1914 as a minesweeper (Ad.No.1579) she served in the English Channel and was latterly based at Le Havre. Returned to Kingston at Hull in March 1919 she was sold as above and Hull registry closed on 1 April and registered at Grimsby on 8 April as EMERALD (GY214). On 26 March 1922 she was renamed EMERALD II (GY214) and on 6 July 1922 her final name, CAMPINA (GY214).
In WW2, in Vinur Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby ownership, she was requisitioned on 1 June 1940 as an A/S trawler P.No.4.153 at a hire rate of £74.13.2d per month. Based at Milford Haven with A/S Patrol Trawlers, she was lost to a mine off Holyhead on 22 July 1940, Ty/Skipper F. Wellburn RNR and ten crew lost with fourteen picked up. She was taken off Admiralty hire the same day. It is odd that Admiralty Folio MT65-467 does not record her requisitioned in Sept 1939 as in some other do***ents.
Gil.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Hi all,
I am researching a boat for my father, on which my great uncle was on when it went down. The H.M.T Campina. I have quite a lot of info on the vessel but most of all he wants a picture. Could anyone please help as I am stuck now with where to look. I will share the information I have already if this helps.

Emerald/Campina
Built
: 1913. Builders: Cochrane & Sons, Selby. Yard No: 555.
Gross Tons: 289. Nett Tons: 115. Length: 133.4 feet. Beam: 23 feet. Draught: 12.2 feet.

April 1919

February 1920

March 1920

March 1922
Renamed Campina.

November 1927

October 1933

March 1937

December 1938

Fate: Sank after hitting a mine off Holyhead whilst on Admiralty service on Monday 22nd July 1940

I would be very greatful for any help with this, either a picture, where I would possibly get a picture or just any more information on the vessle.

Many thanks

Dan
Hi all,

Emerald/Campina
Built

April 1919

February 1920

March 1920

March 1922
Renamed Campina.

November 1927

October 1933

March 1937

December 1938

Many thanks

Dan
Hi all,

Emerald/Campina
Built

April 1919

February 1920

March 1920

March 1922
Renamed Campina.

November 1927

October 1933

March 1937

December 1938

Many thanks

Dan
Hi Dan, my grandfater was Robert Rowlands who perished aboard the Campina, I have no information of this apart from what my late father ( his son) told me, so I found your information incredibly interesting, thank you, Derek Rowlands, Holyhead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.