Ships Nostalgia banner

Seaman's Record Book

8K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  richard mathieson 
#1 ·
I've just come across my Dad's record book. It has details of voyages for Tetela, Manistee, Camito, Chicanoa, Tetela and Sulaco from 1957 to 1962 if anyone is interested and Cape Sable and Cape Wrath with Lyle's up to 1963. I enclose an attachment of one entry. I'll post the rest if anyone wants to see them.

Colin Inverarity

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Camito/sailed with dad

Hi Colin, I sailed with you dad on the Camito, but it was only one voyage that he was there, I cannot re call if he was sailing as chief or supernumerary. It must have been Pat that I sailed with on the Matina, I was on Matina from 12/5/60 to 9/3/62. Both very different but Fine people. Camito 22/12/58 to 22/3/60 Regards AJM

#4 ·
Hi Colin - I would certainly like to see posts of your dad's record book for Camito and Chicanoa two ships that I sailed on although much later than your dad's time.
I did sail briefly with your Uncle Pat from Southampton to South Shields in the summer of 1968. Your uncle was C/E - I was 2/E but my relief was sailing with me so it was he who was quizzed by your uncle. Chicanoa was a sister ship to Changuinola the first of a class of four that I always associate with Pat Tetela of your posting was one of a large class of 19 ships - She was built by Cammell Laird at Birkenhead in 1926 so she was getting on in years and would have been a bit of a "challenge". She was broken up in Belgium in 1959.

#12 ·
Colin,
Your father's 1st trip on the Chicanoa,was my last trip as 2nd Engineer. I'm afraid I don't remember him,as I resolved to have as little contact with Chief Engineers as possible,as his predecessor was a useless alcholic. I seemed to run the engine room O.K.with little input from the Chiefs. I just remember being pleased that my last Chief seemed to be normal!
Cheers,
Roy

#13 ·
Sign of the times

Hi Roy,
Now you got me thinking. Which of the Chief's does he mean? there were a number with the same disposition. We were fortunate in our sea time, not dodging bombs or mines, hardly surprising a few became numbed by the demon drink !!
Good to see you are still aboard, pop in for an ale.
Best Regards. AJM(Pint)

#15 · (Edited)
Telde 63

Hi colin, I didn't know your father but I sailed with your uncle Pat Inverarity CH/ENG on the Telde Feb-Jul 63, a very knowledgeable & respected engineer. For some reason on this trip the captain (Raywood-Williams) and the chief stopped talking to each other and I recall the chief had to phone the E/R to establish the port departure times. In the engineroom he wore a white boiler suite with a blue belt resembling an exhaust steam pipe, blended in quite well.
Other engineers on board were 2nd Ron Mollison, 4th Joe Mullins, J/E Jack Wilkinson.
Dick Mathie J/E

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.