Ships Nostalgia banner

Guppy

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ssr481 
#1 ·
In a Book about US Submarines I found the Word GUPPY for Modernisation.
There was GUPPY I, IA, IB, II & III. What does the short form really mean
and what is the difference between the GUPPY´s.
Can anybody help me?
Regards
Rolf-guenter

#5 ·
Hi Brian

Most of the American Submarines, particuly during the war, were named after fish. The GUPPY programme was a massive modernasition of many of these subs to give them a more modern look, more streamlined, etc. Many were later sold to freindly navies. There are plenty of books on these boats, two of which I have at home.

Regards

Karl

#4 ·
Brian

Now you have the Guppy submarines sorted, the USN also had FRAM destroyers. Sounds like they came out of a tin , but that stands for the Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization (FRAM) reconstruction program.
We won't go into FRAM I, or FRAM II, or which received DASH while others received DASH and ASROC. ! [=P]

Have Fun
Brian

#6 ·
Hello Brian T,

I have tried the link in your answer and it says, "Page Not Found.
Sorry, the page you requested does not exist
or has been moved. Please check to make sure
that the URL you entered is correct".

Is that the correct address or is there another link please?

Cheers Frank(Thumb)

#8 ·
Brian

If you highlight the address bar at the top of the ie page, right click and then copy you can just paste it into your post. It comes out white against a white background and is quite difficult to see but if you do a preview you can see if it's there. You can also test to see if it works. This is not available if you do a "quick reply" only "post reply" or go advanced from "quick reply"

I copied this from the address bar -
http://guppysubmarinetribute.homestead.com/Tribute.html
It doesn't appear to have a www in the address.

Cheers
Kris

#11 ·
The GUPPY Tribute site is done by a gentleman named George Arnold, who sailed aboard the USS SEA FOX (SS-402).. a GUPPY II boat. The USS RAZORBACK (SS-394), returned a few years ago from Turkey, is currently on display in N. Little Rock, Arkansas and is a GUPPY IIA.

Now if you want to talk about radar picket submarines and the MIGRAINE program... http://www.geocities.com/uss_requin/history2.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.