Ships Nostalgia banner

Baynuna

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Ron Stringer 
#1 ·
Does anyone remember the Baynuna - a GCD ship that was chartered from the National Shipping Corporation of Abu Dabie, I think. She was built in Karachi, sister ship sank in the Karachi heads. Had Cegelski Sulzur main engine and aux's. I joined her in Northern Spain and unfortunately the 2/0 fell ill and passed away. we went to Falmouth and from there loaded in Europe for the Caribbean (charter to T&J Harrison), back to Europe and loaded for the gulf. I wonder where she ended up??

#4 ·
The name was just "Baynunah". She was built mid 70's in Karachi. Sister ship sank on trials - or so it was alleged. she was conventional on deck, derricks and winches. for ship built then it was very antiquated gear. No control room down below, permanent watch keeping. Good job though.
I can't for the life of me remember who the 3/O was or any other names for that matter. Who was he, it might ring some bells!

#11 ·
Baynunah

Doxfordman said:
Rudd,

No! Baynunah was a conventional "cargo ship", built in the 70's to a design of the 50's. I'll see if I can dig up any more info.
You may be over-generous to the Karachi shipyard. Early in the 1990s I went aboard a newbuilding in Karachi for Chinese owners. It had been under construction for over 10 years. Perhaps the Baynunah was even longer under construction.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.