Ships Nostalgia banner

ESV Iolair 1982

12K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Charlien 
#1 ·
Gents
For those interested I have started to add photos to my gallery of the Iolair from 1981/82 era after her introduction into the Forties field.
I stood by her during the building at Scott Lithgows on the Clyde and spent two years on her in the Forties field before transferring over to the platforms.

Dave

#2 ·
I must be one of the few to hold the claim to fame of Turning the Iolair down. I was on the Forties Kiwi in South Shields middle dock, and just before she sailed for the Magnus, the Catering Super came on and there was a qeue to see him to beg for jobs on the Iolair. When I presented myself to him he said "Now then lad, don't tell me you want to join the Iolair" "No I said, I want to go back deep sea, I hate the North Sea, never wanted to join the Kiwi in the first place"
"Not many like you around Bonny Lad" he replied.

What became of her the last I heard she was down South America way somewhere and a lot of the original crew were still on board her.

#5 · (Edited)
No. Dave Edworthy.
Leckies on the Iolair, who stood by at the building and then in the North Sea were.
Myself, George Simpson, Chris Hairsine, Terry Sharp, Brian Symons and Mike O'Connor.
We did a work rota three weeks on, three weeks off and while on board we did first week night shift, second week Dayshift and third week Daywork. My immediate back to back was Terry Sharp.

Dave

#9 · (Edited)
The original C/E's were Bob Smith and Laurie Curtis who had both been Chiefs on the Forties Kiwi.
Stuart Andrew was indeed one of the four 2/E's.
Roy Grant, George Robson, and ? were the others. The memory banks are letting me down for the last one Im afraid.
Bob smith was a gentlemen, sailed with him on a couple of tankers before the Kiwi and Iolair, got on great with him and Laurie, in fact we had a really great bunch of guys on the Iolair.
Probably helped we were all together for a couple of years at Lithgows standing by the build of the Iolair and the social life was something else!

#10 ·
Remember Laurie Curtis on the Kiwi one hell of a nice guy.Some of the ABs were out in a zodiac one day and picked up an oil covered Guilimot bought back it back aboard took it down the engine and with the of the help of the Greasers cleaned it up. They then got one of the big cotton waste bins and filled it with sea water put it so said bird could get in and out.!t ended up living down the main engine.The down below crowd called the bird Laurie because they reckoned that bird walked like him feet at ten to two.In the end as soon as it recovered it jumped up on to the rail took one last look around and went of into the sunset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.