Ships Nostalgia banner

Matco Clyde Crew

7K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  phil hansen 
#1 ·
MATCO CLYDE.

Just read a thread re crew of the Matco Clyde ( Mobil Shipping)

I was on that boat for many years and remember all the names given.

Where are they now? What are you all doing ?

#3 ·
Blast from the past, but remember you well Ken , from the very early days.
I remained on the Clyde for many years after. Mostly as Chief Cook.
Dave Best told me about some of the old hands! Dave Sheriff Tommy Pearce Cliff Preston Lucky Fumis ( deceased) John Meakin ( deceased) Jimmy Fethon.
I came ashore 10 years ago , now working with Children with behaviour problems, had good grounding working with AB'S. Would be interested to know which pathway you took. Clive

#4 ·
matco

hi clive hope things are ok with you iam in spain living and running my own bar ita ok but hard work jim fethon is on the pilot boats last i heard i still keep in touch with cliff preston but thats about all i can tell you bill marshall got in touch if log on to my threads you can say hello keep in touch it might be a couple of days before i reply but thats only because we are busy all the best ken(Pint)(Pint)

#6 ·
Steve - Great to hear from you, what have you been doing the past ten years ?
I came ashore after the Clyde. Working with Children with emotional and behaviour problems in Norwich.
Linked up with a few of guys on this site, we had some good times over the years. Clive

#7 ·
Hi Clive, good to hear from you, only found this site last night,just looking up Matco Clyde found dave best and you chatting, so wrote to dave and now you today. Hope everything is ok with you and your family,r u still living in same house. Me I'm still on ships, bunkering ships in Southampton, good job and money. Re married now to great woman,just me and her,nice and quiet and plenty of holidays.
Still keep in touch with Brian and Andy ward is with same company as me and see him all the time in Southampton.see jimmy now and then but that's all.
Great to hear from you Clive so keep in touch ok, cheers for now.

Regards steve.

#8 ·
Brilliant I am thrilled to have tracked down one of the ' Originall's
After spending many years together on that boat.
Sadly learnt on this site, that Lucky passed away a couple of years ago. Had messages re Jimmy, David Best, Bill Marshall,Dave Sherriff Tom Pearce. Steve Blow, Mick Dowling ,Mick Thomson ( met up with him again) Ken Taylor also one of the Skippers dropped me a thread.

Still Norwich City mad ! living in Norfolk, never returned after leaving the Clyde but still miss parts of it, the company the travel still get away on holiday at every opportunity and my son has followed in my footsteps travelling the world ( in the Congo at the moment )

Sounds as if you did settled down ( always one of the lads) Steve, really pleased for you. Take care keep in touch. Clive

Ps Do you remember that night in Tranmere ?

#10 ·
hi i was on the clyde for just 1 trip as chief cook in 83and shot through to go to saudi I am still in touch with duncan ferries (paula) who works as a house manager vip apartments in london Does any one know what happened to andy wright from tilbury,sorry to hear about lucky he was a great guy
billy cook(tuesday)

#11 ·
Hi billy (Tuesday),
Do remember you from 83,but I think it was 84 because I did not join ship until November 83 and I do remember you and Paula together, how could I forget, you were a great laugh together. Sorry don't know what happened to Andy wright and yes it was sad to hear about lucky, spot on guy. Been Intouch with a couple of guys I.e, dave best, ken Taylor,Clive jones who I think might of been your second cook.. Had some great times on that ship and sadly scraped now, we all got finished in December 2003,so had 20 great years and good pay out.well bunkering down in Southampton now.
Well thanks for getting in touch, so you take care and please say hi to Paula for me, enjoy.
All the best, hounddog (dog).

#14 ·
Hello David. ' welcome onboard'

I have managed to link up with a few of the guy's, dotted around the globe now
What have you been doing since ? Seems a lifetime ago.
Last I heard of Mr Bax, he was back on the ferries, but that was many years ago
Sadly lost a few also, Lucky and John Meekin, we did all moan drifting about in that bloody Beryl field, but we also had some fun times + happy memories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.