Ships Nostalgia banner

Orama

12K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  ed ronnie 
#1 ·
Built by Lithgow at Port Glasgow in 1964 for Trident Tankers she had a sister ORISSA.
As IOANNIS ANGELICOUSSIS she sank in 1979 following explosions whilst loading cargo in Angola.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
My first ship with P&O BSD. joined as Lecky Jan 1972 in Philadelphia when she still had Trident Tanker colours. Did a 6 month trip mainly traded east coast USA and Carribean.A hard working ship with poor insulation between the Eng/room bulkheads and accomadation,she was a sweatbox, built on the cheap with her sister ships Opawa and Orissa.

#7 ·
Hi Ray
I joined her as junior engineer in 1966; my first ship.We had Chinese fitters in the engine room, indian engineroom greasers and Chinese cooks and cabin boys - all very good.
I have published a book about serving my time in Harland & Wolff in 1960's before going to sea, and am half way through sequel - Away to Sea, I was looking for a photo of the MV ORAMa for the front cover, is your photo your own or copyright and if it is yours could you let me use it and credit the image to you and a freebee copy of book when finished!
nice to be in touch with someone who sailed on her
bye
Willie Scott

#5 ·
Hi Duggie, I Joined Orama as lecky in Philedelphia Jan 72 and signed off with the 3/eng Ron Paton in Boston June 72 so we must have been sailing together! Don't Know if you can remember me.I can't remember who relieved me. C/Eng was Dave Robinson for most of the trip but Terry Sherman doesn't ring any bells in me.I believe Dave Robinson passed away in the mid 70's, I think he had a heart problem. Orama was a very hard working ship never a dull day!and as I remember had no A/C so Accomadation was always unbearable in the tropics. Regards Ray Clarke

#9 ·
hello ray the lecky that releived you i think was toni farrel the capt was wilf pinder i joined in trinidad must of been in may 72 a few weeks after getting married my wife joined me next time in philli the 2nd engineer was peter cremin also we had a steam chief kieth darling doing his motor time

#10 ·
Hi Dugie, Toni farrel doesn't ring a bell with me but Wilf Pinder does.I believe he came from across the river to me somewhere in North Tyneside but passed away in the 70's.Also Peter Cremin but I thought he was Mate not 2/E. I keep trying to picture your face Dougie, I dont suppose you have any photos you can post round about that time!?

#13 · (Edited)
Hi Ray.
I sailed with Ron Paton as Cargo Engineer on GANDARA way back in 1980. we drydocked at Rotterdam, and all had our families out for the duration.

Later I was sent on the MSA Gas Analyser course at Coatbridge Glasgow, while there my wife met up with Ron's family for a day out. Afraid we lost touch after that.

Cheers
Nigel.

#14 ·
Thanks for that Nigel......Talking about the MSA gas analyser I remember it well and I did a presentation on it at South Shields Tech. back in the 70's. Do you remember the Mass spectrometer they were trying out on the gas carriers ? It measured the atomic weight of gases and so was extremely accurate and sensative.Unfortunately it would set off the alarm if you literally farted in the accomadation!!!! so I don't think BSD invested it!
regards Ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.