Ships Nostalgia banner

ED's Passenger boats

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Essjay 
#1 · (Edited)
I was in the Apapa and Aureol. Gordon Rimmer was bosun, the skipper was Cpt ?? brains gone dead...(Scribe) I remembered, it was Baptiste, Cpt...

#3 ·
I was lucky enough to be an Apprentice on the ACCRA, Extra Third Mate and Extra Second Mate on the AUREOL and then finally Senior Second Mate back on the ACCRA. Wonderful happy ships and what a trip, apart from the ports visited, sail on a Thursday and then dock back in Liverpool four weeks on the following Monday. Then 10 days in Liverpool. I had to be virtually dragged off the ACCRA kicking and screaming when I was promoted to Chief Mate of a 'K' boat!!! That was when South Africa beckoned in 1966.

#4 ·
I'm sure you and I crossed paths some time- you are the same "Woody" Woodend who was on the Obuasi with Jock Gunning, Sandy Powell etc? I think we did a standby together somewhere, though not a deep-sea trip.
I did quite a few voyages as Apprentice and Extra 3rd Mate, on all 3 mail-boats at one time or another - one trip as strike-breaker on the Apapa with quite a few other cadets standing in as ABs. We all had EDH and Lifeboat tickets, there was no safety compromised.

#6 ·
I did 3 trips Apapa. April to Aug,1957.Bosun,Alf Jones from Southport. I left to go for L/Boat and EDH. I done the Xmas trip on the Aureol.'59. Bosun,Dave Trimble. I never remember the Skippers names,unless they've Logged Me.
I was also on, Oti and Sherbro.
ttfn. Peter. T.

#10 · (Edited)
I remember Alf Jones joining the APAPA at the landing stage, after Gordon Rimmer paid off, for domestic reasons. I think his mom had become gravely ill. We all thought the lampy would take the job, but he refused it. Paddy Sealy was his name, a long thin Irishman. I also remember ''Joan'' the hair dresser, we all waited to sail, then got our hair cut, cheaper than ashore, and to check out ''Joan'' lol! I was an AB dayworker at the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.