Ships Nostalgia banner

Tasman Venture/Enterprise

20K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  ken C 
#1 · (Edited)
Union Steamship (and Bulkships) had something to do with Technical Management of these two vessels which were Owned by Tasman Pulp and Paper and traded between Tasmania , the mainland (Australia) and New Zealand.
I remember I attended some drydockings in Melbourne mid 80's but unfortunately I have no photos left.
The ships had bluish green topsides and usually docked in Melbourne once per 2 to 3 years.
Vessels no longer exist
Anybody with particulars?
Jan

#2 · (Edited)

Attachments

#6 ·
Well Jim, isn't there always controversy between engineers and marketing boys?
Longterm stategy or shortterm funds, that's the question.

Thanks everybody for all your input. I remember the ships quite well, also attended them in drydock in Melbourne, supt John McDougall in charge.
Jan

#7 ·
hi JAN my name is sam live in HULL just for interst my brother in law lives in N.Z.and he was one of the officer deck on these two shipsolss the TASMANPULP AND PAPER HIS NAME IS captian peter tate he is still on the go out there and is on this site sometimes and looking for some for the old company to talk to sam

#8 ·
Sam,

I may have met him before, just do not remember.
Union Steamships have a yearly nostalgic re-union of all ex personnel (both office and sea going staff) and perhaps he participates there.
I think it is in Wellington.
Can find out more in case you want me too, I mean with exact date, place and contact person.
Jan

#11 ·
Tasman Venture

I have just posted six photos of the Tasman Venture under the 'Cargo Vessels' category. They were taken from my slide collection and don't scrub up too badly, some unfortunately were taken into the sun. I hope they are what you were looking for Jan.
Regards...Bill Burton....Tassie.

#16 ·
I can remember as a 17 year old standing next to the Tas vent and Ent with the side doors open and the platforms fold edup, wondering how the hell do they get the pulp off??

I thought to my self is there forks on board and then the cranes lift it up from a spot down below and then the shore forks pick it off the platform?

I thought to myself if that was the case why not get the cranes to just drop it on the wharf. Then oneday I was down there at Macquarie Wharf no 2 and I got to see the unloading operation in action, the pulp was put on to a lift by the onboard forks and brought up to the platform and then moved out onto the platform by conveyor and then the shore forks took it from there.

I must admit though, they were nice looking ships, I wonder what the forest venture looks like now (colour scheme, does she still have the cranes etc) I miss them, Hobart did get a reminder of them once, the norwegain vessel Ferncroft came to load newsprint, and she was almost identical looking to the Tasman Venture and Enterprise

#17 ·
MV Forest Venture

The MV Forest Venture (ex Tasman Venture) made it to the beaches of Alang around June/July this year. http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=212944000 :(

Both were frequent visitors to Devonport (Tassie) back in the day. I remember the Tasman Enterprise being laid-up in Devonport (Tassie) in the late 90’s for quite some time, not long before being sold off to the breakers.

Regards,

Big Hull

#21 ·
The MV Forest Venture (ex Tasman Venture) made it to the beaches of Alang around June/July this year. http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=212944000 :(

Both were frequent visitors to Devonport (Tassie) back in the day. I remember the Tasman Enterprise being laid-up in Devonport (Tassie) in the late 90’s for quite some time, not long before being sold off to the breakers.

Regards,

Big Hull
Hi Big Hull
It was the Venture that was laid up in Devonport for many weeks waiting for parts.........it was early 1992 I visited the Captain Huw Williams in February ..........sadly he died aboard the Enterprise in the following May.

#20 ·
Tasman Enterprise/ Venture

Hi Jan,
You have waited 10 years for a reply so sure hope you get this.
I have photos of both ships that I can scan and forward to you.
I was a friend of Captain Huw Williams of the Enterprise. Sadly he died aboard her in the early 1990's. I visited him in Devonport TAS
when the Venture was in drydock awaiting parts. Many happy memories of time on board when the Enterprise was in port in Melbourne............I think it is important to keep the memory alive
regards
Margaret

#24 ·
Hi,

My late Dad (John Dick Snr) was a Second Engineer on the Tasman Venture & Enterprise. I remember going onboard as a kid when they were docked in Tauranga, this would of been in the mid to late 80's. As a kid I remember being mesmerised by the scale of them.
My dad and mum made life long friends from all the crew involved with these ships and other seaman in the industry at the time.
My dad was heavily involved with a fire in the engine room when they were at sea. Unfortunately the smoke inhalation triggered off lung cancer which had laid dormant from asbestos poisoning from being an apprentice engineer on trains in his earlier years. He sadly passed away in 1991.
I will forever remember these ships and the memories they have left me and my family.

John Dick Jnr

#25 ·
Hi Aussiemade and John Dick Jnr
I was Second Engineer of the Tasman Enterprise for nearly 5 years, and was actually aboard when Capt.Huw Williams died when we were on passage to Brisbane. It was a very sad occasion because he was much loved by his crew. I do remember you too Margaret. Nice to see you remember Huw fondly after all these years.
I did not sail with John Dick, he was my counterpart on the Tasman Venture during my time in Tasman Pulp and Paper, but I met him socially on a number of occasions. He was very much admired as an engineer and a top bloke. Another casualty of the dreaded mesothelioma I believe, which is unfortunately quite common amongst marine engineers who lived and worked through the era of ignorance regarding the dangers of asbestos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.