Ships Nostalgia banner

James Cook

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  non descript 
#1 · (Edited)
A small pressure ship was the James Cook, a gas tanker under Gazocean control, with Houlders supplying the Master and Radio Officer. She ran out of Australia (Western Port) taking LPG across the South Pacific to Tahiti, Fiji, New Hebrides and New Caledonia, but sadly not to her home port of Nuku’alofa, which she only visited for domestic reasons as and when she happened to be passing. A very happy ship.

#7 · (Edited)
Photo

Yes, a photograph of James Cook would be most welcome. When I signed off in Sydney in 1976 I took 34 exposures of her on a 36 exposure film, but (with immense stupidity) I left the film in my camera, waiting to use up the final frames, but sadly it was stolen from our room on the first night of our honeymoom, whilst we were down in the dining room. The wretched hotel still stands beside the M4 slip road to Heathrow, acting as a monument to, either my lack of intelligence or man's dishonesty. Would never happen in Tonga...
Mind you, I reckon it was better to lose the camera than the bride and I still have her very safe after thirty years.

#13 ·
Ahoy,
Finally I found her in my old shoebox, but unfortunately not as JAMES COOK 1972 but as ATHINA 1971 built at Scheepswerf Waterhuizen J.Pattje.Picture was shot on 22-09-1972 in Rotterdam area.
Still a lot to scan from that shoebox.(H)
Type:Liquefied Gas Carrier
GT:1410
DWT:1530
LOA x D x B:68.79 x 11,51 x 5,11
Eng:Vee Oil 4SA 12Cy. 230x270 1119kW[1500bhp]MAN
Spd:12knots

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.