Ships Nostalgia banner

Joe Cairns

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Malky Glaister 
#1 ·
I see from your posts there is a good few old sailors from Scotland who served on the Trolls Park and River. Im looking to hear from anyone who can remember my dad Joe Cairns who was lost at sea on the 23 Oct 1975. He was returning from America aboard the Troll Park when he disappeared presumed lost at sea. I know he also served on the Troll River. I know its 35 years ago but any thoughts memmories would be appreciated. I was only seven in 1975.
Thanks for your help

#3 ·
Welcome

John,

On behalf of the Moderating Team, a warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey.
There are plenty of ex-Denholm members so, someone will surely remember your Dad.
I sailed on Arctic Troll, Troll River and Troll Park throughout the 70s but unfortunately don't recall ever sailing with Joe.
It may help folk remember if you could tell us what position your Dad held on board ship. (Thumb)

#4 ·
Position GP1

Thanks for your help , my dad was on Troll River 27/4/75 until 26/8/75 when he left at Piraeus, and then on Troll Park from13/9/75 London, until he was lost at sea 23 Oct. He was a GP1 on both trips. Before this he had been with BP on the M.V. British Humber from 8 feb till 18th march.(Again GP1)

#5 ·
John,

Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling I could well have been on Troll River when your Dad paid off in Piraeus. If you have your Dad's Discharge Book, the Old Man at that time would have been Captain Ridley.
I don't suppose you have a photograph of your Dad around that time - that may help jog memories? (Thumb)

#7 · (Edited)
John,

Sorry for getting your hopes up, it must have been a different trip to Piraeus - we had brought cars from Japan for a two port discharge - Piraeus and Tripoli (Libya).
Sadly I don't recognise your Dad at all.
Good luck with your quest, I am sure someone must remember him. (Thumb)

#11 ·
Morning Joe.

Found the obituary notice of your father in the issue of "Denholm News " christmas 1975.

Have tried for the last hour to upload as attachment but being a
computer idiot , the upload keeps failing - no idea why.

If you want , I can make another post with the transcript or
alternativly , if you send me a pm with your email address , I will
attach. That's something I know I can do.

The Master at the time was Haldane ( probably Ian Haldane ).

brgds

John

#16 ·
That redundency was all awful shock and I remember being very angry. Still it eventually happened to almost everyone. I regret binning the magazines. They contain a wealth of information but they have gone. Incidently I was 2/eng on Troll Park and Troll River. Tough ships but interesting.
Hope some more info comes up abput Joe Cairns.
regards Malky

#17 ·
That was a sore point with me too but for a different reason.

I got offered the Cast job in March '81. If it had happened 6 months later , I
could also have got voluntary redundancy and killed two birds with one stone ..
so to speak.

#19 ·
Good show Malky, the Helm was a disaster, I was amazed that she stayed afloat! Went aboard in Rotterdam things were bad with Cast and I told Ken Grier that I wouldn't take a job on the ship, (as a repairer), even if he put the cash on the table then and there!

#25 ·
I left Helm at GEM, Rotterdam discharging tapioca, to be made redudent. The Union guy came aboard with a complete fool frm Denholms office to get shot of almost everyone.
Cast in Antwerp. Took over the Australia Bridge there. Nice accomodation, engine was fair. Boiler was full of holes and Cast, bless them, wanted to load oil in the Gulf. It would still be in the ship! I forget what they renamed her. I used all available steel plugging all generating tubes in the end. Only steam to be generated was by economiser using main boier as a receiver. Try explaining that to a bunch of morons who want to run turbine cargo pumps. Happy days
regards malky

#26 ·
John, The memory plays tricks. Cast in Antwerp threw a party onboard Cast Puffin proclaiming her as the largest ship ever to visit the port. Thhis was true as she had been there before as Austrailia Bridge! Now I left just after the party (possibly because of) the date was 31/8/79. We had taken the ship over in Hong Kong in June of that year. It was a disaster. She broke loose at the shipyard berth ended up at 90 degree to the quay and demolishing the Hasties steering gear. Eventually we left in a big hurry as a typhoon approached. No wonder I have no hair left!
regards malky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.