Ships Nostalgia banner

Sommelsdijk (3)

17K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  dwg99999 
#1 · (Edited)
Built in Odense Shipyard, Denmark in 1939.
Survived a torpedo attack on Christmas day 1944, in 1954 renamed into Sommelsdyk (from ij to y...)and scrapped in 1965
GRT 9227
The picture here already had the change of name ....dyk

Sister to Sloterdijk (2) which was also built in Odense.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
re Sommelsdyk.

Jan Hendrik said:
Built in Odense Shipyard, Denmark in 1939.
Survived a torpedo attack on Christmas day 1944, in 1954 renamed into Sommelsdyk (from ij to y...)and scrapped in 1965
GRT 9227
The picture here already had the change of name ....dyk

Sister to Sloterdijk (2) which was also built in Odense.
My father left some photos of a ship in Rotterdam harbour, with a fire in No.1 hold. The name is difficult to read, but it could be Sommelsdyk. The photo may have been taken in 1939 or 1940. The ship got away from Holland before the Germans over ran Holland, so it is unlikely that the fire was caused by the bomb attack on Rotterdam. Can you or anyone shed some light on this. If there is some interest, I may try to copy the photos and post them, but they may not be very sharp.

#16 ·
My father left some photos of a ship in Rotterdam harbour, with a fire in No.1 hold. The name is difficult to read, but it could be Sommelsdyk. The photo may have been taken in 1939 or 1940. The ship got away from Holland before the Germans over ran Holland, so it is unlikely that the fire was caused by the bomb attack on Rotterdam. Can you or anyone shed some light on this. If there is some interest, I may try to copy the photos and post them, but they may not be very sharp.
My name is Charley Messina. I was on this ship when it was torpedoed. I am 92. What was your fathers name ?
I was a Navy Seabee. And was with this outfit attending a meeting in hole #2 when the sommelesdijk was torpedoed on Christmas night in 1944. The name of the outfit was C.B.M.U 512

#8 ·
here's another pic at a rather increased speed

Attachments

#18 ·
My Granddad was aboard this ship when it was hit by a torpedo. Amazing that you have a picture of it. He did survive the incident. After his death we found his diary from the war were he recounted the events. Thanks for having a photo of her here!
My name is Charley Messina. I was on this ship when it was torpedoed. I am 92. What was your fathers name ?
I was a Navy Seabee. And was with this outfit attending a meeting in hole #2 when the sommelesdijk was torpedoed on Christmas night in 1944. The name of the outfit was C.B.M.U 512

#10 ·
MV Sommeldijk 9227 tons built 09/1939 by Odense Staalskibsvftved. AP Moller, Odense. 472.5 x 62.3 x 34.4. 2 B&W diesels bult by B&W Copenhagen.
2 double ended boilers @ 100 psi. DF, ESD. Registered Rotterdam, Dutch flag.
Code flags PHPR. Owned by Holland Amerika Lijn

#11 ·
Sommelsdyk

Sommelsdyk survived a torpedo attack on Christmas day 1944 in Leyte. My Daddy was on this ship when it was torpedoed. He survived the attack. I remember him telling this story when I was growing up. He said he would always remember the smell (of burning flesh). He passed away in 1994 and I will always remember the stories he told about the War.

#12 ·
My wife's father was a US Marine during World War II, and he boarded the Sommelsdijk in San Diego, California, in January 1944. He had just finished Marine training at Camp Pendleton. He was on the Sommelsdijk for 17 days as it cruised to New Caledonia where he disembarked. He went on to fight on Peleliu and Okinawa islands. He is still alive at 89 years old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.