Ships Nostalgia banner

Flying Buzzard - Merged Threads

12K views 67 replies 33 participants last post by  Gulpers 
#1 ·
Flying Buzzard - merged threads

The last I heard of the above mentioned tug that she was being sold to a Canadian owner has anybody got any update on this vessel

#3 ·
Thank you for the info,she was a grand old lady and I agree with you inregards to the removal of the Steam Engine it would have been great for her to retain her original plant but thats life these days.
I guess I will have to dig deeper into her whereabouts

#11 ·
Welcome

Mike,
A warm welcome to the site from me too! I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.

Having looked at your website, Julie and you have certainly embarked on a massive project. Well done and best wishes for your continued success. (Applause)

#14 ·
Hope you could save the triple expansion engine and store for a later use. this is a very rare piece of engineering now.

If the boilers were removed, this is supposed to be the least annoying as it is a good deal to replace them with modern ones.

The experience of changing boilers on the waverley allowed to dratically cut oil consuption, although it stil remains superior to that of a modern diesel.

The other advantage is that a new boiler can burn with a much lower level of toxic emissions (CO, NO..) thanks to the regular nature of a flame in opposition to an (internal) explosion.

Anyway, I guess this is too late, and it is easy to say but needs $$$$ to do, which is not that easy.

Congratulations for saving this cute little ship from the scrap

#25 ·
#26 ·
Used her many times when in Anchor Line and when towing Jack-ups down the Clyde for leg-up (not over) at Roseneath Patch. her and all her 'flying' sisters.

All the old hands who rememebr her will no doubt be sad to see yet another bit of Clyde history leave the area but at least she's going abck to doing waht she did really well.

Good luck! auld yin.

Jim C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.