Ships Nostalgia banner

Beach Barbecue - Golfito

30K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  oceanspan_VI 
#1 ·
Chuscal - 1972

Day off in Golfito. Barbecue and entertainment courtesy of the local lassies, refreshments provided by the Ch Steward and Emma's Bar. Unforgettable days.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Golfito

Bob Murdoch said:
When I was in Golfito in 1958, we did not get any days off on the beach. One night in Kingston, then round the coast picking up bananas followed by passengers, then back to UK
Lovely ship though
Bob,

The thread refers to the port of Golfito in Costa Rica, and not E & F's "ss Golfito" (my first ship in 1960). The smaller 12-passenger skin boats often went to Golfito to load bananas but I don't believe that either of the larger 99-passenger vessels (Golfito and Camito) ever went there.

Ron

#22 ·
Golfoto?

Bob,

The thread refers to the port of Golfito in Costa Rica, and not E & F's "ss Golfito" (my first ship in 1960). The smaller 12-passenger skin boats often went to Golfito to load bananas but I don't believe that either of the larger 99-passenger vessels (Golfito and Camito) ever went there.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Just reading this post and wonder if you remember a chap by the name of Oscar Lavagna who was also on the Golfiti at that time for sure as i have his Discharge papers!
He was a very good friend of mine and my late Brother!
If you have any info at all on him i woulkd be much oblidged.
Cheers
joller6

#7 ·
Golfito

I sailed regularly to Golfito with Fyffe's Manzanares and Musa, and had great times there! I remember the bar at the dock gate, where the jukebox was fitted with a steel mesh protection, and you had to stick your hands through a small opening to put money in and pick a tune. And Emma's bar, of course. Remember "Tom's Island" where all the hippies lived? I'd love to go back, but it would have to be as a tourist next time and would not be quite the same!!!!!! I als remember a bar/dance place up the hill, I think it was called the Picnic Bar (?)

#9 ·
Ron Stringer said:
Bob,

Ron
Think "Golfito" may have called at her name-sake port on her maiden voyage. I believe she was accorded 'freedom of the town', and that a certificate hung in the passengers entrance area.

#10 ·
Golfito

Hi Kevin R & Andyroo,

Golfito as a working port of call has been virtually closed for years , ever since United Brands pulled out .
The " Club Latino" to the left right outside the dock gates burned to the ground last year .
"Emmas Bar , the Mustang and Banana bars on the strip are derelict yet still stand ( now taken over by crack heads).
The "Pinic Bar" up on the hillside is just a pile of rubble would make a nice site for a hotel as that is the new industry here in Costa Rica Tourism.
Tom from Toms Island piece fully crossed the line 5 or 6 years back but his old boat is still beached there .
How many others of you have memories of this wonderful wild place ? I would like to hear your stories .

Regards .

#12 ·
Ian Highfield said:
Hi Kevin R & Andyroo,

Golfito as a working port of call has been virtually closed for years , ever since United Brands pulled out .
The " Club Latino" to the left right outside the dock gates burned to the ground last year .
"Emmas Bar , the Mustang and Banana bars on the strip are derelict yet still stand ( now taken over by crack heads).
The "Pinic Bar" up on the hillside is just a pile of rubble would make a nice site for a hotel as that is the new industry here in Costa Rica Tourism.
Tom from Toms Island piece fully crossed the line 5 or 6 years back but his old boat is still beached there .
How many others of you have memories of this wonderful wild place ? I would like to hear your stories .

Regards .
I was there in late 83,along the strip in a second floor bar when a local girl brought in an iguana and went about killing it.One of the ABs then proceeded to punch the girl,the iguana ran off and there was a lynch mob after the AB,no more shore leave for him.........have to say the place was my fav place on earth......still things never stand still

#13 ·
Golfito was a great run ashore, on a par with Cortes. We used to have some great football matches on the pitch on the opposite side of the road from the pier. If my memory serves me correctly the local priest arranged the games against locals, and refereed when another ship was the opposition, and the games always under floodlights. Cup Final feeling, then it was over to Club Latino for whatever took your fancy.
Were any of you there when they building a concrete boat on Toms Island? I never saw it afloat.

#16 ·
Willy,

My father worked on the Golfito for some time and I would be really interested in looking at your photographs from that period! His name was Eric Hardy.

Thank you
Hi Lawrence

The photos I've posted are of the port of Golfito, Costa Rica, taken when I was there in 1972 on the "Chuscal". I don't have any photos of the actual ship which was called the "Golfito". Sorry.

Willie Mac

#20 ·
I was in the Golfito on her maiden voyage December 1949 - January 1950. A great ship and a good trip. Whilst at sea approaching Trinidad there was an oil spillage whilst tranferring fuel oil which resulted in a large black stain on the ship's side and across the deck. Something I have never ever seen before or since - the ship was stopped and AB'S were put over the side to clean off the mess. The stain on the deck was a different matter and proved to be quite stubborn. We arrived in Trinidad on Christmas morning and were treated to a carol service by schoolchildren on the quayside.A gang from ashore were employed with holy stones in an attempt to clean up the deck. Our stay in Golfito was very pleasant especially the reception which was laid on. How I wish I could re-live those balmy days! Terry Worsley

#23 ·
Golfito was one of the best Banana ports, I was there in 76,77,78 and 79.
Used to do regular runs from Golfito to Willmington, four days loading in Golfito, arrive Wilmington on a Sunday afternoon, four days unloading, four days at sea back to Golfito, was a very heavy run. Our Lady frinds in Wilmington used to meet us with their cars on the Sunday, four hectic nights, four nights of peace and quiet at sea, then four nights in Golfito, our ladies had no cars there, but were regulars. Emmas bar was the bar most favoured by our crew. Picinic Bar was a nice change, different faces !!!
Armulles was also a good run, in Panama but close to Golfito, One time when we had to wait for our cargo, I took a lift from a friend and drove up to Golfito, it was nice to see the look on the Customs guys faces when I walked into the Bar, where is the ship they asked? also had to go and rescue my lady from another bar as she was not expecting our ship. Good times.
Spence.

#26 ·
Ufco ports in the seventies

In places like pto Barrios, Tela and Cortes one could sense the effects of repressive military regimes in every day life.
Almirante / Armuelles seemed better, but Golfito was an oasis among U.S. supported dictators in Central America. People behaved relaxed and I found it a privilege to have been there.

Attachments

#28 ·
Memories come flooding back ,Tela Golfito armuelles Cortes.Several times laid in a local hotel with a local gal waking up to the ships horn going and running back to the ship as fast as i could, I was lucky they would just be lifting the gangway up. Was there late 70s early 80s on Cuards S Class fruit boats,fantastic times,
Neil

#29 ·
A blast from the past..!!! The blue Bar on the strip with emma's bar.. The guy who ran it was a ex train driver who had a accident.. All ways brought a bottle of Ron Rico on before we sailed.. The storm ditchs or man traps out side the bars claimed me on one occasion. Result broken ankle... Ended up getting lifted back on board by crane.. Steve Bescoby was the night watch man.. Oh happy days...

#30 ·
Ah Ron Rico 151 i remember it well, Listening to the band at the picnic bar and then down to Emma's just to top the night off. I was there a few times in the 80s on the M class boats and also the Darien,

I agree happy days and great times with some characters and genuine guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.