Ships Nostalgia banner

Shipside Graffiti

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Farmer John 
#1 ·
When I was on an "L" boat (300,000+ tonnes) we got orders for Ceyhan in Turkey to load Iraqi Crude. Slight problem our deadweight exceeded the maximum permitted for the port.

So Shell made us stop off Malta, carry out a full Loadline Survey with the Lloyds Surveyor in attendance while officially reducing the deadweight of the ship to just under what was allowed at Ceyhan.

We obviously had to change/move the Loadline and associated markings on the ships side. Lots of headscratching, looking in books and calculations done we made a large stencil and dangled the surveyor and some AB's over the side on a stage. When the surveyor was happy with the measurements and positioning of the stencil he left the AB's to carry on with the painting.

While the surveyor was preparing the certificate and other paperwork the agent came on board from the launch and his first words to the Old Man were "Who is Chivers?"
The Old Man said "the only Chivers I know is Head of Personnel with STUK".
The agent laughed and said "Well, apparently he sucks".

Apparently after they had finished painting the Loadline, our illustrious AB's had daubed "CHIVERS SUCKS" in 2 foot high white letters down the ships side.

Everyone had a wry smile.

See less See more
#3 ·
No, it didn't last that long, the offenders had to remove it, smartish

I forget why the AB's had it in for him. Think maybe he visited the ship in Europe with bad news for ratings, but can't really remember. I certainly didn't have a problem with him, although I think many did.

#8 ·
Ah Peter Pacheco, remember him well. Got on fine with Peter, he's certainly quite a character. Many times out on the deck he's drinking a can of orange juice, one time I said 'thats not a drink Peter' to which he held the can out to me - one sniff, mostly vodka. Every time I saw him with an orange juice he smiled... Any idea where he is now?

Regards,

Mike

#10 ·
Keith, I don't think it was Peter Pacheco who was the CH/Stwd when the Halia went to scrap. I would remember an unusual name like that.

I am pretty sure the fellow I am thinking of was from the Teesside area and had a private pilots licence and flew out of the Roy Chubby Brown International Airport a.k.a. Teesside, a.k.a Durham Tees Valley.

#12 ·
Ah...shipside graffiti. My favorite example harkens back to when USS REQUIN (SS-481) was part of Submarine Squadron 6 in Norfolk, VA in the early 1960s. REQUIN came back into port one time, after being out on patrol and being rusty, dirty, etc. after a long patrol, moored next to USS CUTLASS (SS-478), which was the showboat of SubRon 6. One day, after having to go through many iterations, due to the showboat wanting to go out to sea, etc., the CO of REQUIN made an all hands announcement about CUTLASS going to sea as CUTEASS... hehehehe

#17 ·
When I worked on Sealink at Harwich I used to change trains at Manningtree station...There was a large official notice saying..."HARWICH FOR THE CONTINENT" under which was written "FRINTON FOR THE INCONTINENT"...it was there for yonks...

BTW...Manningtree had a really good private bar on the station...I missed many a train for London having a pint (or two) of Adnams....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.