Ships Nostalgia banner

Palm Line between 1963 & 1967

7K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  tom roberts 
#1 ·
It would appear that not many ex-Palm Liner's contribute to the threads.
I have added comments and bits and pieces here and there but there has been no response. Is there any-body out there?

#5 ·
Palm Line

(K) Hi Chris, Iwas on the Burutu Palm 53/54, great cook but a nut-case for a skipper ( with a Spanish name & temperament to match). It was an embarrassment at the pay-off table. trying to avoid the bosun who really wanted me & an Irish mate to rejoin her, but I truelly felt I may have inflicted an injury on a few of those Kru boys who were deliberately provoking us to thump them , whereby we could be charged with assault & be flogged, as happened to the manager of a prominent Hotel in Lagos! Those guys are probably residents in London now !!(Hippy)

#15 ·
Ron and Slick.

The Captain you are referring to has to be Francisco de Imaz, commonly known as Frankie Imaz, a scouser through and through, despite the name.
I did two trips in the Gambia Palm with him in 1955.
Pat Baker.
Yes he was a certainly a differant sort of Captain thats for sure.
Was standing beside him a one of those cocktail parties that were given down the "Coast" when him approached a lady guest that had a prominent mole on her nose. Frankie told her to stand still while he wiped a piece of s**t off. Did not go down well and he didn't understand why!!!!
He had a few libations at the time.
He did havce a very strong Liverpool accent.
Life was never dull when he was on board.

#16 ·
Lakercap

Yes Frankie Imaz was infamous for that sort of thing.
We had a certain lady as a passenger on board the Gambia in 1955 who had a falling out with Frankie one night at dinner, the following day she was sat under the veranda deck and I was stood on deck when Frankie appeared above her and shouted to me "is that old cow anywhere about?"
I shouted back "Yes Captain she is right below you".
She was horrified, but without turninig a hair Frankie yelled back "ask her would she like to join me for a drink?"

I had a fair amount of trouble calming her down.

He was a real character and was reputed to be married to one of the daughters of the Larrianaga shipping family.

Great days.

Pat Baker.

#19 ·
I worked in the head office at Shelley house in Marine Personnel, Denys Way was i/c, and I suppose I must have sent some of you your rejoining instructions, and I apologise if I got your leave amounts wrong!
I now wish I had sailed on those ships, I can only imagine what life was like on 'the coast'. Janathull, was that when the 'Kano' went out on charter, and how long was she away?

#21 ·
There are more of the old Palm buckets I sailed on and did any of nyou ginger beers sail with Fiery ted as chief engineer and his wife Diamond Lil? george redford was the second on Ibadan Palm and called me Horace because he thought I stuffed my face too much; he could talk !!

#22 ·
badagary palm 3/4/5/1963

ayeup,
just browsing the web under badagary palm,n came across your thread.
i was on the badagary palm march april may ,the one thing i remember
clearly ir docking in freetown sierra leone on independance day,one of the crew had a 45mm camera and he took a load of pics.i wish i could trace him.
dont even remember his name.
all t best
BAZ MUMFORD

#24 ·
After many attempts at browsing the Web over the last few years to find some old Palm Liners, Bingo I have hit the bonanza. Its great see the old
characters been brought back to life and the associated tales which I can immediately relate to. Brilliant .
I will have to dig some of the old photos out of the attic , dust them off and scan them in.

Roy W

#27 ·
i was on the accra in 1962 with captain lightbody and captain edmondson we had a great gang on board at that time i remember we had a gramophone in the seamans mess and the only records we owned was i remember you (frank ifield) and cherri wayner playing something drove us all mad by the end of the second trip good luck timaru

#28 ·
On Opobo Palm j.o.s.4 4 55 one trip cleaning tanks was hell dungaree blue sheets turned yellow afterwoods she was a hungry bugger lived midships starboard side. on Badagry Palm edh 28 9 57 1 trip had a better time on her the bosun took a funny turn the old man was well i,dont think i will comment about him cant make his name out in my discharge book just as well.We beat the Takoradi English football team sour lot wouldnt even allow us into there club officers only so it was down to the mud hut for African gin and tombo local hooch sent you blind and garantee a logging next day mind you that skipper would log you if you looked happy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.