Ships Nostalgia banner

maersk defender/the shed dsv

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Physopto 
#1 ·
i was wondering if anybody has a photo of the defender i have 1 as the northern explorer and 1 as the sea topaz but i just cant seem to find one of her as the defender i would very much appreiciate it steve i have a few of some ben boats if anyone wants !!!!

#4 ·
Maersk Defender

Steve.
When was the Maersk Defender called Northern Explorer.I was on the Northern Explorer and the Maersk Defender was working beside us at the start
of the Foinaven Field some time ago.In 2000 the Northern Explorer became Seaway Explorer.At present the old Maersk Defender is working beside us in the G of M. I think it is the Epic Diver or Defender she is called.

#5 ·
hallo john fit like the day the maersk defender was called the northern explorer before she was the defender now i was on it first in 1982 and she was on charter to oxydental the photo i have of her as northern explorer has the oxydental logo on the funnel but how long before she became the defender i dont know i will post the photo but i dont know how you go about it the other photo i have of her she is painted black and i believe it was taken either in the gulf of mexico or off of brasil by the way i am joining the highland eagle on wednesday for an rov job steve

#6 ·
I came across this thread having googled Maersk Defender and I may be able to help. I sailed on her in 1981 and 1982 when she worked at the Claymore field while on charter to Oxy.

I have a photograph of her in Maersk colours. It was taken when we were at sea on a nice clear sunny day on the rare occasion when it was flat calm. The photo was taken by the photo tech from one of the Z boats and he developed a copy for each of the crew that was on board at the time. I still have my copy safely hidden away so I'll get it copied and I will post.

Just for a little interest the skipper I sailed with was Derek Golding.

#8 ·
IMO No 7423873

She was built in Singapore in 1976 as SEA TOPAZ a deck cargo pipe carrier.
1979 she became NORTHERN EXPLORER and was converted into a diving support vessel
1980 she became MAERSK DEFENDER registered Aberdeen

Still as such in 1988 which is as far as I have checked

#11 ·
''The Shed'' was converted to air-diving in 1985 and worked for a couple of seasons in the Danish Sector of the North Sea for DUC in the summer months , being laid up over the winter in Grangemouth. She was sold to OSA, renamed OSA Defender and worked as a painting barge in Nigeria for a time. I have no knowledge of her subsequent moves.
I have several photos of her in various guises which I can post if there is still
anyone wanting them. They might take a while to find - it was a long time ago!!!

#12 ·
Hi just come across this series of posts about "The Shed".
I spent 4 years as Chief Engineer on her from February 1983.
Great ship with great crew. Ray Kuczynski was the Captain during that time.
When I joined she was on the Oxy Charter. We then moved over to Maersk Denmark diving. We worked on the Piper Alpha and other rigs in the North sea.
Dr D Brown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.