Ships Nostalgia banner

Bibby Line

167K views 417 replies 121 participants last post by  Arthur Talbot 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I started on this site not too long ago, mainly looking at the Brocks entries as I served my time with them and that site is particularly strong. One thing surprises me though is that there does not seem to be any Bibby Line members or not owning up anyway.
Is there anybody out there who was with Bibby, I sailed with them 1968 to 1973 or thereabouts.

Rgds

DerekT

#76 ·
Hello

Hi, You sound like someone who may have sailed on a ship with my father. His name was John Brassington, and he was an engineer on at leats three of your ships during that time span. I am looking for some photos of the Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Lancashire... do you have any? Please send me a PM if you can help.
Regards,
Louise

email address removed, Louise.
Kris

#78 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all. I am trying to find some Bibby Line photos for my computer illiterate father, John Brassington, who served as an engineer aboard various Bibby Line ships, including Lancashire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire in the mid to late 1960s. If anyone has any pics, please could you PM me so that we could arrange sending by email. I would be specially interested to hear from anyone who knew my father at this time... thank you, Louise

#81 ·
John

Having noticed your posts of today – all most impressive and moving in their accounts of times past – I would take this time to welcome you to the Site and trust you get much pleasure and support from it. - As time is not the healer than many imagine it to be, I offer you my thoughts and support in respect of your father-in-law, it never easy coming to terms with that loss.

Take care and Bon Voyage.

Mark

#86 ·
Hey good to hear from you are still plying the Trade? or like most of learned that you can have too much of a good thing!!!
Still remember the flight back from Vancouver eating crab and swelling up like a balloon and you and Alan with your guns.
Regards
Allan S Burns

#88 ·
Warwickshire/Cheshire

Hello Michael F and Allan Burns,

Firstly, I remember you Allan from Warwickshire which I joined in Yokohama as 3/O after a chap named Cowell paid off sick. That was my first trip in Bibby's. I recall another cadet named Jones and another nicknamed "Slim" who I believe came from Tarporley in Cheshire (don't ask how I can remember that when I can't even remember his name). Dave Clayton was the mate on that trip and he went Master on the next voyage. I met him again a few months ago after discovering that he lives not far from me across the River Dart. Rick Birkett was 2/O, but I have never heard anything of him since.

Secondly if you, Michael F, had the nickname "Yogi", we sailed together on the car carrier Cheshire about 71/72. I'd reached the dizzy height of 2/O by then. I think John Egan was the Mate and Tom Watson was 3/O. I stayed with Bibby's until 1975 before moving on to pastures new.

Good to hear that you're all still around.

Ken Bowers

#90 ·
Hello Michael F and Allan Burns,

Firstly, I remember you Allan from Warwickshire which I joined in Yokohama as 3/O after a chap named Cowell paid off sick. That was my first trip in Bibby's. I recall another cadet named Jones and another nicknamed "Slim" who I believe came from Tarporley in Cheshire (don't ask how I can remember that when I can't even remember his name). Dave Clayton was the mate on that trip and he went Master on the next voyage. I met him again a few months ago after discovering that he lives not far from me across the River Dart. Rick Birkett was 2/O, but I have never heard anything of him since.

Secondly if you, Michael F, had the nickname "Yogi", we sailed together on the car carrier Cheshire about 71/72. I'd reached the dizzy height of 2/O by then. I think John Egan was the Mate and Tom Watson was 3/O. I stayed with Bibby's until 1975 before moving on to pastures new.

Good to hear that you're all still around.

Ken Bowers
Hi Ken ,
yes thats me . It was the berkshire nov 71 to jan 72 .That trip was my 21st , if i remember , you , john and tom had to cover my watches as the party went from friday to monday and i was even late going on watch on the monday afternoon . I still have the key that was made for me .
Do you remember the parties we had up the west coast , when 3/4 ton of female nurses arrived on board at gone midnight after their shift ? Or was it all in my imagination .

John Egan and Tom Watson both were Gentlemen

mike

#89 ·
Hello Ken, from a rather warm Shanghai

Yes Simon Jones from Heighton was one of the other cadets to sail on that first trip what with Alan Hudson and Rick Birkett and of course the 1/0 who I had the task of calling for his watch, I didnt get any reply so I touched the b***er and he bit my head off, strange got a bit like that myself after a few touches in the night. I should be so lucky
Ken remind me did you have a full set when you joined or am I thinking of the yorky down the South American coast at a later date? Ranjiv Kunmarasingh was mate I think.
I recall we had some salted hides on that trip which stank to high hell talk about a mixed cargo.
Now looking after the HSSE for a company here in Shanghai with a few boats knocking about, also a repair/conversion facility so I guess like the bad penny I keep turning up, back with ships.

#93 ·
Warwickshire '69/70

Hi Allan,

Yes - I did have a full set when I joined but think I shaved it off after we left the cold weather in the Great Lakes in November/December 69. It's the only time I've seen icicles form almost immediately on the mooring ropes as they came taut! Seem to remember one of the crew dying whilst we were at anchor in Cristobal awaiting Canal transit. We flew home from Vancouver via Toronto and then on to Prestwick and Manchester. I chose to get off in Prestwick as I lived nearby in Kilmarnock. Having no money in my pocket, no taxis available on a Sunday morning, no phone at home and wife out baby-sitting at my sister's ( at least that's what she told me), it took me nearly as long as the flight time from Toronto to cover the 10 miles to get home.

Enjoy yourself in Shanghai.

#97 ·
Warwickshire Feb '70

Hi Alan,
I do remember the hotel but not its name (Berkeley?). When you stepped up to the urinal, music began to play, blue lights came on. That was in addition to the plants and statuettes already in the room. I seem to remember suc***bing to the temptation of puting money into the coin slot above the bed, which immediately began to vibrate for about half an hour.

Went there for a drink again in 1971 with my wife, but the ladies' loo was apparently nothing like the gents'. She reckoned that I'd dreamt it all!

Ken

#98 ·
Hi Alan,
I do remember the hotel but not its name (Berkeley?). When you stepped up to the urinal, music began to play, blue lights came on. That was in addition to the plants and statuettes already in the room. I seem to remember suc***bing to the temptation of puting money into the coin slot above the bed, which immediately began to vibrate for about half an hour.

Went there for a drink again in 1971 with my wife, but the ladies' loo was apparently nothing like the gents'. She reckoned that I'd dreamt it all!

Ken
Well remembered Ken! yes there was I think, knome like figures piddling into the urinal with streams and a water fall, once you started, you couldn't stop! Perhaps toilets around the world could make another thread for SN!

Alan

#101 ·
Alan howdy from Shanghai
Also remember Mark Blaxland after a few frozen guninesses ashore in Yokohama giving the lovleys a bit of a fright!!
The hotel in Vancouver also had a bit of a gunfight outside if my memory serves me certainly made for a restless night.
Can any one remember the leckies name, recall he was always immaculate when going ashore. Have you noticed there seems to be a shortage of ginger beers writing on this site, perhaps the bibby name.
have hust been looking at the "GRAIG" site and it would appear Bibby's are getting back into a reasonable class boat again. Regards to all, of to Zhoushan for a week or two.

#103 ·
Hi Allan & all the Warwickshire boys
Yes Mark Blaxland was certainly well blessed. I think I took him around 4 seperate massage joints in Yokohama plus several bars and none of the girls would take him!
I think Alan Butterworth (from Liverpool) might have been electricitian although I might be wrong as I sailed with Alan on several ships.

Best Wishes
Alan

#102 ·
I think my memory must be going I don't remember that bit but I do remember the Customs coming and doing a rummage through my gear at the Hotel.

On other notes does anyone know what happened to The Paulusz(guess at spelling) brothers from Sri Lanka(Ceylon as was) There were 3 I think 2 Deck 1 engine?
Also I was stuck on a vessel in the Duke Street Cut caught up in a Liverpool Tug strike, 1970 I think does anyone remember it and which one it could have been?

Richard

#104 ·
Alan
Apologies for being away so long and not responding but the ship repair and conversions are going twenty to the dozen at the moment and my time just is not!!!
Alan Butterworth is the name I remember now you mention it I could do with some like that to look at our electrical kit here.
I have been looking round some of the vessels that come to our facilities and
I dont recollect ever being onboard an unkempt ship like some of the beauts that we get here, and some of them aint so old either. I guess thats the disposable nature of the industry these days. Some of the "Old Men" that I see are perhaps 35ish with not a lot under their belts as far as sea time is concerned perhaps I am just getting old. RANT OVER.
Time to look round the rest of the forum and see if anything from my offshore life pops up.
Regards and mines still a frozen Guiness!!!

#106 ·
Hi Richard
Its just as bl##dy cold in Shanghai today.
Do you recall in Toronto one of my relatives comming on board and a certain C/O taking a shine to her??
Then onto Cleveland, and a trip to Euclid High school to see a football game American style?
I can remember it was cold but then we went back to Pusan Korea and that was colder still!!

Never mind heading back to Aus next week for Christmas and New year on City Beach, Perth, hopefully in about 35 degrees, sunshine, blue skies and decent wine.[=P]

Have a good christmas and keep that ticker going!!

Allan

#107 ·
Hi Allan,
Don't remeber the relative but certainly remember the mate! You have brought back memories of that school visit and didn't we go back to a teachers house after?
Pusan I remember only because I did not go ashore!!

Have a great Christmas yourself - I am not working for the 1st time in 4 years - joy bliss and happiness!!

HERES TO US and all like us, there aren't may of us left

Richard

#108 ·
Richard hello

After the footy (Yank style) we took a trip back to one of the students homes her name was Laurie Salisbury and her mother made us Pizza, made a change from some of the great curries we had on board. I spent more time in the galley than I did in the wheelhouse and when I am home my mates are always asking for another "HOT" one, think what you like on that score.
Laurie and I wrote to each other for some years but she was involved in a vehicle accident and so the letters stopped.
I can still recall trying to drop the mast to pass under the bridge at Toledo, but can't recall if we were successful or not??

Keep safe and to you and yours a happy festive season.

Allan

Hi Allan,
Don't remeber the relative but certainly remember the mate! You have brought back memories of that school visit and didn't we go back to a teachers house after?
Pusan I remember only because I did not go ashore!!

Have a great Christmas yourself - I am not working for the 1st time in 4 years - joy bliss and happiness!!

HERES TO US and all like us, there aren't may of us left

Richard

#111 ·
Hi Derek,

We slightly overlapped as I was with Bibby Line from 1972 to 1976. I sailed on the Worcestershire, Cheshire, Herefordshire and Ocean Bridge. I also had stints at Fleetwood Nautical College.

I am well known for having an appalling memory and yet when I started reading these messages, memories of great times came flooding back. I have recognised one name as I believe that I was Uncert 3/O on Ocean Bridge when Geoff Valentine was doing his first trip as Radio Officer.

After 30 years of working in factories for a living, I have still never been able to flush the sea out of my system and I now live not far from Antwerp.

Best regards,

Martyn Sutton

#118 ·
Bish Waller

I was very interested to see Bish mentioned. I had knew he had been lost on the Derbsyhire and I first came across him during 1951 when I did two trips on the old Cheshire to Aussie, Bish was the 2nd R/O and I was 3rd R/O. My last trip was a coastal one on the old Worcestershire in 1953 and the Bish was acting 1st R/O. It was just before Christmas and there was a monumental thrash in Bristol. I kept hearing banging and scratching through the bulkhead from his cabin. It turned out next day he had thought he was stood up rather than lying on the deck and had been circulating for several hours trying to find a light switch. They don't have characters like that anymore. God Bless him. Regards, Roger

#119 ·
I was very interested to see Bish mentioned. I had knew he had been lost on the Derbsyhire and I first came across him during 1951 when I did two trips on the old Cheshire to Aussie, Bish was the 2nd R/O and I was 3rd R/O. My last trip was a coastal one on the old Worcestershire in 1953 and the Bish was acting 1st R/O. It was just before Christmas and there was a monumental thrash in Bristol. I kept hearing banging and scratching through the bulkhead from his cabin. It turned out next day he had thought he was stood up rather than lying on the deck and had been circulating for several hours trying to find a light switch. They don't have characters like that anymore. God Bless him. Regards, Roger
Roger
I coasted with "Bish" around europe before taking over from him. He was as you say a bit of a legend also a tremendous smoker. He would light up and put it in an ash tray whilst copying the weather, then take the report to the bridge, were he would light up another whilst chatting to 3/0. He would leave that one on the chart table. By know the one in the radio room was burnt down, so would light another one and so on. He had packets stashed everywhere. When he left the ship, I was still finding packets in draws, spares cupboard, under the bunk etc.
He didn't like "Jaspers" (roaches) and devised a way of keeping them away from his bunk. He kept a pile of suger in one of the draws under his day bed so as to attract them all there, the problem was, I think he had all the "Jaspers" from everyone elses cabin visiting.
In the time I was with him, he was fiercy concientious about nav warnings and weather reports and when I heard of his loss in Derbshire, I was convinced that the tragedy could not in anyway be blamed on lack of weather info by radio.
He was as you say, one of the Characters, also immensely kind to myself as a young man starting my career. It was terrible he should be lost, especially as he must have been so close to retiring.

Alan

ps his full name was I believe-- Royal Albert Waller

#120 ·
Re Bish

Thanks Alan for more memories of a great character. I do remember his smoking and for a while he used one of those cigaretter holders a la Noel Coward etc., he used to call me for the 12 to 4 entering my cabin holding his cigarette aloft and wishing me well for the next four hours.
There were many stories as to why he was called The Bishop, and the one I first heard related to a book by the author Thorne Smith, who was regarded as rather risque, one of the books was called The Bishop's Jaegers, the main character being called Waller and his nickname stemmed from that. There were also rumours that one of his family was a canon in the church. Salaams, Roger

#121 ·
Yes Roger, there were rumours about a family religious connection.
Another memory, he had some sort of hernia, a split in his stomach muscles. He looked ok until he had a few pint's and then his tum would pop out of the defect like an instant beer gut! When I sailed with him, he had had his tap stopped by the om. This was a waste of time because everyone buying a round included "Bish" so he carried on drinking but had no incriminating bar chity's for the om to see!
Regards
Alan