Ships Nostalgia banner

cook book

21K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  morky1 
#1 ·
hi every body,in the late 60s i took my 2nd cook and bakers ticket i also had to buy a cook book to do the course.it has been so long now that i have lost my book but would like to get another. but, cant even remember the name of it.if anyone can remember it it would be most appreciated..thank you

#13 ·
And does this nautical cookery book have full instructions on the production of those rubber fried eggs we used to get on every ship I was ever on.
Pat(Jester)

#23 ·
Bridie, on our little banana boat trading between NZ and the Pacific
Islands the menu listed "salad in season" whenever there was little flare in the fare and then it was usually coarse looking beetroot and large onion rings.
There was no excuse for it as good salad vegetables were cheap and in ample supply in the Islands so I chose to mark the menus by striking out the ambiguous description and writing in the description of the unappetizing facts,
Chief Steward complained to the Old Man and Bob got a bollocking because the menus were sent into head office at the end of each voyage. I can still see that rough fodder after fifty plus years.

Bob

#17 ·
The cook book you are referring to is Practical Cookery by Ceserani and Kinton with contributions by Professor David Foskett. I bought mine from Amazon 3 years ago and it was 10th edition, cost just over GBP20.00 - ISBN 0-340--81147-1 and is published by Hodder Arnold. Have to say it is nothing like the copy I had in the 60's when I took the Chief Cooks ticket in Liverpool but nevertheless would recommend the newer version to anybody.

#22 ·
Hi I lost my C&K while attending Castlehill catering college Edinburgh. Turns out someone in my class put it in the oven and the next class found it burnt. I have Saulniers repertoire known as the bible but forty something years later I found a C&K edition in the hospice shop North shore Auckland. For me it's one of the best. No fancy pictures or poncy dishes just good workable recipes. I found it the day after I retired! Regards and I hope Santa was good to you all and the new year will be good for you too. Sorry to hear of the weather in UK< it's all cold beer and bikinis here. Ronnie

#24 ·
Hi Bob ,
I remember the good old 'salad in season', and recall beetroot and onion rings, tomato and onion rings , sliced cu***ber & tomato & the speciality on the 'WAIMEA', al la Tammie - Sliced cu***ber & tomato with tinned peas - juice and all .

The cook book people are asking about is available from Amazon - 1928 copy a little expensive but the 1960 reprint abot thirty four pound.

Rgds.
Lindsay

#27 ·
So many Replies with the right answer

The instigator of this could not be the Pat McCardle of the Sig Ragne ?(Denholms)1974. if it is Pat hope you got your book it was because of you I got mine and went on till 1989 on a great variety of ships.
Despite all the wry comments from old hands Thre are some great cooks i owe a lot to. Benny Sommoza, Pat old Stan on the RFA Resoursce to name a few. Cheers to you all

#28 ·
Hi
Ceseranni and Kinton Practical Cookery was the initial book used
in the early 60,s. I used a 1 st edition 9for my 2nd cook/Bakers) on a course in Swansea College 1963 it was used to check out recipes. The book was to be used as a basis for City and Guilds.
nb I was on the cover of the 4th edition!!
I think they are up to 11 editions now.W,H Smith used to have them
Forbes

#29 ·
cooks

dont some people like to moan even after all these years i once heard a quote saying people in the mn live like kings sunday dinner every day and xmas dinner on a sunday and its true i often wonder how many of those moaners got three meals a day and a supper nomatter what it consisted of

#30 ·
dont some people like to moan even after all these years i once heard a quote saying people in the mn live like kings sunday dinner every day and xmas dinner on a sunday and its true i often wonder how many of those moaners got three meals a day and a supper nomatter what it consisted of
Made me sleep better when they had their moan(Gleam)(Bounce)

Ray

#32 ·
There's a couple of things I'd like to say here. There's no mention of the financial constraints put on the galley perhaps because of company policy or perhaps because of skipper/ chief steward arrangements in foreign ports. Availability comes into it also. Then you have the galloping gourmets who go to sea from the shipyards and sea school , and deck officers are not immune either. Most, I would guess, at least in my era, never saw bacon and eggs on the same plate once a week never mind once a day.. Suddenly they are culinary experts and there conversation usually starts with,'on my last ship'. I could also mention that I have sailed with dodgy, deck hands, mates and engineers/firemen and assorted rogues and numpties in all departments. That's life! Wouldn't have missed it for anything. Ronnie ex cotton mill where I ate crisp butties every day for two years at lunch time except we didn't call it lunch. Don't know what it was called but on a good day it came with Heinz sandwich spread.Regards to you all.

#34 ·
Cookery book

I and and a few others used the 1st edition to test out recipes etc at Swansea College in late 1962. I actually ended up on the photo cover of the 4th Edition with a fellow Cook, Tony Groombridge.Photo was taken in the kitchens of the Llandarcy Oil Refinery Jan 1963

#38 ·
Hi Billieboy, I did my 2nd Cook and Bakers Cert Part One in the kitchen above the Poll office in Cardiff Docks in 1969, but as I was just qualified as a Chef I already owned a Sabatier collection which you could buy for 5 Pounds then and I also had a Granton Steak knife, my books were the Ceserani and Kinton Practical Cookery and Professional and Practical Cookery by Cracknell and Hauffman 2nd Edition, I was amused when I was told I had to sit the Board of Trade Cert as I was qualified but I must admit I learned some new stuff and made a few friends there, I also now hold my Chief and Ships Cook cert and the Higher cert of Nautical Cookery, great times and many an hour spent in The Ship Inn after school was out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.