Ships Nostalgia banner

Ikeja Palm

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  slick 
#1 ·
Shows the Ikeja Palm in Takoradi, Ghana, and two views of the deck.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
hmmm...the photo looking aft is not a palm boat unless they were retrofitted with macgregor hatches after I left the company in 1971. Certainly not Ikeja as she had bipod masts. Sampson posts would indicate possibly Bamenda/Banagry,Elmina/Enugu/Kano/Katsina/Andoni or Akassa. Probably either Kano or Katsina.

#14 ·
All,
I have a couple of photos of the Badagry Palm using her Heavy Lift (proper name Jumbo) 80 tons to off lift a dumb barge and a Wimpy tug in Takoradi (?), a great day out a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, and twittering amongst the lower ranks.
John Ross the Electrical Officer and second Electrical Officer. whose name escapes me, holding contacts in with their biggest insulated screwdrivers!, as the winches reached their limits.
I have said it before elsewhere but my time in Palm Line was the stuff of legend up the Creeks and what about the Fork.
Truly the work hard play hard company, but looked after!, and the people I had the privilege of sailing with are still with me.

Yours aye,

slick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.