Ships Nostalgia banner

RMAS NEWTON and SAL class

31K views 79 replies 16 participants last post by  Ferneng 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what will happen to Newton when SD Victoria takes over her role? And does anyone know who runs the Sal class these days? I know Salmaster is now called Ocean Endeavour and is operated by Gardline but what about the other two? Photos will be welcome.

#6 ·
SD NEWTON has been sitting alongside in Greenock for the last few months in the hope of getting some work for SERCO. She should be getting dragged off the wall and heading out to sea again in the next week or so I understand from a mate who has been given a couple of weeks work on her.

#7 ·
The Bath Retired MSOs Lunch Club brought this matter up last Monday; nice to know she's getting some work to do. How will they man her? Agency? Their own guys? I reckon she'd make a great wee passenger/cruise vessel after some conversion work.

#8 ·
She will be maned by agency staff, though one of my old team has gone back to her on the agency to help keep her going, the one key member missing with be a good ETO. Someone would need to spend a couple of quid on her to make her usable as a cruiser, though the hull is very good and most of the tanks are like new.

#10 ·
With regard to the Newtons hull - class restrictions were imposed in the late 1990's due to the brittle nature of the steel used to build the ship. This meant the ship could not work North of 66N from October to March as low temperatures could cause structural problems. Even after this being discovered and restrictions implemented the "RMAS" still used the excellent ship amongst the ice floes pictures (taken by Mike Fishwick) for publicity purposes !

I also remember a protracted period in Portsmouth 1998 having extensive steel repairs done to the fore peak tanks due to excessive corrosion. All most all the stringer plates were replaced during that period.

The ship also suffered cracking across the deck just forward of the accomodation and it was all ways worry of being in a head sea when you felt the bow sheeves slam and the ripple of shock going throught the ship that the cracks would open up. The prudent Master would take the ship 20 degrees off the waves / swell and zig zag to try to avoid damage by slamming.

#21 ·
I concur with the bow being slightly off the waves/swell to avoid slamming and stress of weather damage. The resultant "corkscrewing" motion, whilst not very comfortable, was infinitely better than suffering damage.

I notice from photos that the Ocean Endeavour (ex Salmaster) has had a breakwater fitted between the horns with lightening holes at intervals. I assume that this works a lot better than the portable so-called breakwater that Hall Russell/DG Ships gave us.

We used and had ours fitted (well aft of the horns) before heading up to the NW approaches for a February JMC. At the time I moaned like stink about the fact that it was only secured by insufficiently spaced bolts and had no lightening holes to minimise shock from walls of water; no one seemed bothered. First big wave after Pentland Firth the starboard end came adrift and over the next 15 minutes the whole thing gradually worked loose and then disappeared over the side! And this at reduced revs to avoid damage. When we got back to Rosyth I put a report in about it and surprise surprise heard no more.

The trip was a success though, eventually, after days of force 11s. Salmaster's motion and seakeeping qualities were good. Even some of the boffins on board managed to appear occasionally!

#11 ·
NEWTON was the best sea-boat the RMAS had I believe, well they have operated some that used to roll on a wet blanket, and were very uncomfortable and that's being charitable. Having taken NEWTON across the Atlantic a few times I agree with the sentiment that taking the sea on the shoulder made for a better more comfortable passage. Cracking of the deck was not a significant problem in later years, thankfully. Having been through all the tanks with the LR surveyor for her last special survey, she was in very good condition.

Having spent a lot of time looking at the ships vibration characteristics I came to the conclusion that running with the rafts unlocked probably added to the strange vibrations we all used to feel when in a big sea. The net effect was the top sets were oscillating at a different frequency to the main engine raft so she felt like she was bouncing !!! It was interesting but I never felt she was unsafe.

#12 ·
I reckon TYPHOON beat NEWTON when it comes to best sea boat. Mind you they still could not beat the relative comfort of WHITEHEAD when we spent many weeks at anchor in Kyle with the papers every day and a run ashore at night. Now thats what i call going to sea! Though the trip up from Plymouth was always fun as the old man always insisted on having the activated rudder on whilst going round Lands End.

#15 ·
Going back to the days when the 3 Sal class were built, the 3 ships were supposed to be identical. But as the company was going to the wall at the time, the steel content went down as each one was built. Salmaster being the last one was significantly lighter than the other 2. There were a number of incidents while she was at Rosyth of aft bulkheads cracking in the ballast tanks, the shell plating in the steering flat ruptured when the ship was up off Iceland in heavy weather, fortunatly that was not the trip I was on! She was light but in good weather she was a lot faster than the other 2.
I recall Salmaster coming out of the Humber to see Newton heading for Rosyth for a refit, we had the pleasure of over taking the pride of the fleet and arrived in Rosyth well ahead of her :)

#20 ·
Mark, Salmaster was the second one into service; it was Salmaid that was last. I know this because the intended master and chief came on board Salmaster when we were working on the Humber to get an idea on what to expect. The master (Hugh somebody I think) spent the whole time saying "we don't do it this way in Devonport"!

Always nice to overtake the "flagship". When I was deep-sea the ship I was on was about a week out of Panama for Aussie. The "flagship" (new container ship) came flying past us and over the horizon. A day later we passed her while she wallowed in the Pacific swell; that night she romped past us again. Next day the whole scene repeated itself. This went on for a couple of days until our courses diverged; she was heading for Kiwi. Gives you that schadenfreude feeling doesn't it?

#16 ·
the beaks at bath tried to feed the skipper(you know who i mean mark), to the lions over the cracking and rupturing down aft.they felt that he ran on 2 engines too often, and that it had led to a lot of damage to the ship.ive been on all 3 sal boats at one time or another and salmoor was by far the best built.

#17 ·
I recall departing Rosyth with the engine control system doing anything but control the engines, so Willie Miller and I tweaked the system to keep the show on the road. In really good weather heading North we managed to get 15 knots on one engine on Salmaster. I know from my time in Bath that Salmoor and Salmaid could not get close to that. Strange to recall now that getting that speed on one engine didn't give the same cavitation problems we used to get when running 2 engines up towards full pitch.

#56 · (Edited)
I like this word tweak, it was because of quote tweaking that it took Davey and Colin ages to get the right settings on the control systems. The prop setting being only correctly achieved whilst in dry dock as you had to align all marks. When I rejoined her as chief I carried on along with Colin and eventually she came good. We normally ran on one Engine due to a directive from Bath, only two Engines if situations required it, one Engine 4 - 6 Tons of fuel over 24 hr period, two engines 8 -10 tons, quite a bit of extra fuel for extra three knots. I was on the Iceland trip where the hull got cracked in steering flat, had to shore off area, put in drain away and cement block it up, plugging drain on completion, lasted till we got home. The weather conditions on that trip were bad to say the least and we took a lot of damage, loosing the cat walk between the horns being another part of damage, also Crane electrics being goosed due to water intake. The weather on that trip was so bad we were forced to use both engines. But one thing is for sure the Salmoor was the only one of the three built to the original specifications. I also carried out a full vibration analysis check on Salmaster when I was with the vibration team in Rosyth, the results being duplicated and sent to Bath, but they must have been like the Newton and disapeared at sea? Most of the problems with a lot of the machinery was due to mounting on the hull, some machinery being worse than others. Also during next refit after that time, extra ballast and stiffners were added to tanks to eleviate some of the vibrations, it improved situation a lot. The ballast that was added should have been there in the first place. By the way as I tried to point out to a certain boss on the Clyde, it made no difference if you ran two engines whilst manouvering as only one took the load. The port engine I think, so one engine was enough for most tasks and of course entering and leaving port, and if you don't believe it I suggested he read the manuals. I don't suppose that did my career any favours, but hey I'm still here, well I think I am, I was when I got up this morning.

#18 · (Edited)
i heard that it was a naval architect that shot baths allegations at the skipper down.that and the fact that the skipper was always told to make sure we got back to rosyth by friday.so in order to achieve that, sometimes he had no option but to go onto 2 engines.you know yourself mark.we sailed on a monday,and 9 times out of 10, we were back by friday.if we were not back by fri there was big trouble.i never understood how not working weekends saved the mod money.surely it would have been more cost effective to stay at sea for a couple of weeks to get all the work in a specific area done.instead of steaming down to the likes of the wash for 3 days work.then steam back to rosyth again on the friday.only to sail again the following monday, back to the wash again.the fuel costs alone must have been enormous.

#19 ·
Bear in mind that the fuel bill wasn't paid by DMS(N)/RMAS but by PSTO(N) so operationally it wouldn't have made much difference but I agree that the Monday to Friday business was plain daft, all to save a few quid on overtime. I remember on Goosander having to return to Rosyth from Rosehearty and then because of bad weather not being able to get back out on the range for a while; the RAF were not amused and we were stuck with whalebacks all over the place for ages.

#25 ·
You're right Roo. I mind driving Uplifter at full ahead one stormy day in the basin just to keep her in one position, it went on for quarter of an hour or so until we got a lull and got back alongside! Really I shouldn't have left the berth but hindsight's a wonderful thing. We were supposed to be working recovering AFD moorings when they changed AFDs in the 80s.

#26 ·
Of the three Sals the only decent built one was Salmoor, she had 12mm plate, the other two where built with 6mm plate and because of that had problems with metal fatigue etc, I know that Salmoor was a far better seaboat and handled better than Salmaid, which shuddered badly if you clipped a lightbuoy but unlike Salmoor. I speak as having been master on both, the Newton in recent years was to me a vessel which would dissappear suddenely at sea, after 1996, refits where of minimal nature and SERCO ran her maintenance on a repair basis. Also her stability was altered when all the heavy winches above the waterline was removed and compensated by pouring concrete into her cable tanks, some of her senior staff requested this because her cable tanks were emptied of old cable on stability grounds though how a cable ship sails after using all her cable on a lay and has to sail to a port to load!!! When new she used to crack her shell plating regulary by the senior scientist cabin, this was cured by fitting gusset plates. She was a failure for which she was built, that is a quiet running trials platform, because of this St Margarets ran on for several more years past her due scrapping date( and yes she was a better seaboat to ), this was due to the fact she was fitted with standard kort nozzle instead of a quite running one. The Newton was towed home a few times because her electric generators burnt out and in FLOO's there was a standing order that the ship had to request permission of CinC fleet to use her third generator to get her home in an emergency. Also her builders asked her crew to quitely take her away from them as they believed her accomodation was below the standard that they like to fit in a vessel they built.

#28 ·
the Newton in recent years was to me a vessel which would dissappear suddenely at sea, after 1996, refits where of minimal nature and SERCO ran her maintenance on a repair basis. Also her stability was altered when all the heavy winches above the waterline was removed and compensated by pouring concrete into her cable tanks, some of her senior staff requested this because her cable tanks were emptied of old cable on stability grounds though how a cable ship sails after using all her cable on a lay and has to sail to a port to load!!! When new she used to crack her shell plating regulary by the senior scientist cabin, this was cured by fitting gusset plates. She was a failure for which she was built, that is a quiet running trials platform, because of this St Margarets ran on for several more years past her due scrapping date( and yes she was a better seaboat to ), this was due to the fact she was fitted with standard kort nozzle instead of a quite running one. The Newton was towed home a few times because her electric generators burnt out and in FLOO's there was a standing order that the ship had to request permission of CinC fleet to use her third generator to get her home in an emergency. Also her builders asked her crew to quitely take her away from them as they believed her accomodation was below the standard that they like to fit in a vessel they built.
I am not sure where you got half this rubbish from. First the cable tanks, due to stability issues DGShips made her carry a load of spare cable. When the SLEP was done this became an issue due to the inability of the LR surveyor to inspect the tanks bottoms, hence it had to be removed. It was then compensated for by adding concrete. Newton only got towed home once due to a main motor burn out not generator burn out, also there was no ban on using a 3rd generator unless we had permission, the 3 generators could be used in all sorts of configurations as befitted her constant current lop set up. She could even be propelled in a quiet state using the top sets in a ward leonard configuation if required.

After 1996 the vessel was under the control of GM RMAS and her refit pattern matched that of the LR survey regime, even now that she is in the hands of Serco to keep her in Class the same system must be followed.

#29 ·
You got in before me Ron - BZ

If I remember it was the Robust that towed her home from the Bay of Biscay early 1987ish.
Got around on the top sets at least 4 times when there were problems down below but never had a tow in my 8 years.
If you needed to be some where in a hurry you could put all three MPG's in the DC loop and put the AC on the top sets and fairly rattle along.

#30 ·
As an ex Chief Engineer of Newton I had listen to the stories over the years, and while she had some problems, what man-made object is perfect? We did see some minor cracking by the steps up to the tumid deck, that was a simple repair. Having crossed the Atlantic in her a few times I had no concerns she would break up, even when getting a hammering from a massive storm for 10 days straight. In the recent past she did have an LR CoC on one engine due to wear on the cam shafts, but it could be used at the C/Eng's discretion. She was maintained to Flag and Class through out my time on her, and we had no issues with either establishment meeting survey requirements.
The one thing she did have that the Victoria does not have is character, she was a good ship to work on, always throwing interesting issues at the engineering team. Once you understood her you could get on with the job and enjoy it.

Regarding the main generators, post the SLEP, she only needed 2 sets running to provide all the DC and AC power required, so you always had a set in your pocket to swap a set out if you wanted/needed to do some maintenance.

#31 ·
Nice new shiny generators post 2000 SLEP - not the leaky tired old Mirrlees Blackstones she was built with. I later found out, during an interesting conversation with an Indian Engineer, that the original generators were refurbished and exported to a power station in India where they are still working

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.