Ships Nostalgia banner

Rms Windsor Castle Rip

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  john strange 
#1 ·
RMS WINDSOR CASTLE
http://www.ssmaritime.com/windsorcastle5.htm
I sailed in Windsor Castle for five years. This old bit of poetry found in a 70-year-old book is very moving when viewed against the above link pictures.
Probably the finest ship I ever sailed in and I was very happy there, although usually very tired! I was supremely happy in St. Helena (11 years), but it was a different kind of happiness! Anyway, thought you old Windsor's may appreciate this, although the link make sad viewing.

Bob
----------------------------------------------------------------------
They've stripped her frills an furnishin's they've bared 'er stem to stern,
They've gutted 'er from mizzen-truck to hold,
An' she's learned 'er final lesson, what the best o' sailors learn,
That the sea is finished wiv yer when yer old!
Yes, she's finished with the sea,
An' she'll never more be free,
To wander where the waves is rollin' green,
For the knackers they 'ave got 'er
An' they'll bloomin well job- lot 'er,
An they'll never give a thought for what she's been.
They didn't 'old no service for to mark 'er dyin' day,
But 'er sisters 'ooted mournful as she passed.
An' a brace o' dirty tug boats came an 'ustled 'er away,
Wiv 'er colours 'angin' sadly at the mast.
An' they'll never give a rap
As they cut 'er into scrap,
For the glory an' the pride she used to be,
An 'er owners will forget 'er
An they'll take an' build a better,
But there'll never be a better ship for me.
Yet I 'avent't seen the last of 'er, for ships is more than steel,
An' sailor men see more than other folk,
So I know some day I'll sight 'er wiv the pilot at 'er wheel,
An 'er ghostly funnel trailin ghostly smoke.
I'll be ready for I'll know
That it's time for me to go,
An I'll smile to 'ear the shout of "come aboard!"
An' there's not a man will fail 'er
As we muster there to sail 'er
Straight to Heaven for the glory of the Lord!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for that Bob, happy memories of one of the best ships I sailed on...

It would have been better if she had gone to the knackers straight from the mail service.

Speaking of which I was in Kaoshiung(sp) near the harbour entrance one lovely sunny day in 71 or 72. One of Fyffes.. Golfito or her sister... came in at what looked like near sea speed, gleaming white hull without a speck of rust, dressed overall. Hung a hard right and took orf down to the breaker's yards... thats the way ships should go....

#6 ·
Speaking of which I was in Kaoshiung(sp) near the harbour entrance one lovely sunny day in 71 or 72. One of Fyffes.. Golfito or her sister... came in at what looked like near sea speed, gleaming white hull without a speck of rust, dressed overall. Hung a hard right and took orf down to the breaker's yards... thats the way ships should go....
According to Miramar, 'Camito' was broken up Kaohsiung 3.4.73.

'Golfito' went to Shipbreaking Industries, Faslane, December 1971.

#10 ·
As a young lad of 4, I sailed with my parents on the Camito from Southampton to Trinidad. Vivid memories of a portable swimming pool constructed on the aft deck and of flying fish landing on the deck. In 1960 we made the return journey on the SS Antilles which sadly burnt out in 1971 off Mustique.

#11 ·
Tim,

I never sailed on the 'Camito' but did 7 trips on the earlier 'sister' ship the 'Golfito'. She had a permanent swimming pool at the after end of the Promenade deck, outside the main passenger lounge.

So it doesn't ring quite true that the later, flagship of the E & F fleet, 'Camito', only had a temporary pool. Some of the older 12-passenger ships, possibly, but I think that she would have had a permanent pool.

The flying fish were definite realities, we used to get lots of them once we were South of the Azores.

But there are members of this site that sailed with 'Camito' so you can expect replies from them.

Was a wonderful way to travel and a way of life that has long gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.