Ships Nostalgia banner

SY Wendorian

29K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  Grizzpig 
#1 ·
I have asked this question once before without much response but there is now a much larger membership with some very knowledgeable members.
I am trying to find out what happened to the Wendorian. She used to be the training vessel for the King Edward VII Nautical College in London during the 50s & early 60s. She was a regular sight on the Thames as every week she would take a group of would be apprentices from Wapping Basin to Southend where she would anchor for the weekend before making her way back to Wapping on the Monday.
I believe that she was built in 1903 by Hawthorne & Co of Leith, reputedly to be either the King of Spain's or the King of Portugal's Royal yacht. I think her original name was Stephanotis. Her signal letters were GKKB, her official number was 113178 & she was of 143 gross tons.
Hoping Ruud, or someone, can help out with this & I have attached a photo of her in Wapping Basin.

Attachments

See less See more
#37 ·
Thanks John, Smithy Street, that's the one.
It's all coming back to me now; trying to sail the whalers in the docks was a joke.
I remember Griffiths who was the Captain of the Glen. I liked him even though he smelt like an ashtray! Didn't he go on to master one of the disabled training ships in based in Southampton.
(My name's not Vera, really)

#38 ·
I remember Griffiths who was the Captain of the Glen. I liked him even though he smelt like an ashtray! Didn't he go on to master one of the disabled training ships in based in Southampton.
(My name's not Vera, really)
Captain Griffiths went on to become Master of the Malcolm Miller/Winston Churchill Sail Training Association vessels. A great sailor & a perfect gentleman with a very good sense of humour.
Kind regards,
John.

#42 ·
Have just joined this outfit! I was at KEVII late 1951 and it is nostalgic to read the many names of Captains of Wendorian. Does anyone remember the name of the PE instructor, an ex RN chap who liked to pick smaller members to demonstrate on. Therewas amongst us a chap called Green who was an amateur champion who really floored him as he omitted to inform him that he had had some experience. And what was the name of the Bursar, he liked to demonstrate the straight and narrow by using the idea of spilt Brasso drying out and showing later. I went to Anglo Saxon Petroleum to do my apprenticeship. Glyn Howell, now retired 10 years.

#43 ·
K.e. V11 N.c. London

Hi Glyn,
Great to have a response especially from someone who may have been a class mate. I have tried to find others but they were later members of the college.
Some refere to a Mr. Wood (unknown to me) and NOT me. We had a guy called Gulliver (caretaker of Cromwell Rd.)
We had a P.I who taught boxing by the name of Etchin (spelling ?) -Said to be an ex-champion but not in my history research.
His job was to toughen us up but also caused medical problems (long story). Wendorian (Capt. Miller) and Capt. Chase and Ballard heads of college. Leckie and Somner the whalers and Magellan the launch.
Norris tables were found to be in error (do you remember).
I'm trying to monitor the good, bad, and ugly times for such a young group of enthusiasts who went thru' WW2.
I have a friend who writes about boxing champs but "Etchin" doesn't come to mind.
If you come across any memories - do keep in touch.
Kind regards Tom (ret'd industrial engineer)

#45 ·
Have just spent a 'somewhat nostalgic' time reading about the Wendorian, Cromwell Road, Smithy Street and other facts associated with King Ted's. Was there in '57 before signing my parchment, with EDs of Liverpool, complete with my one and one half month's hard earned remission of sea time. Anyone reading this who remembers the murder of the Polish Countess, in Gloucester Road tube station, must have been a compatriot, so 'let's hear from you'!

#47 ·
I have just spent a very emorable half hour reading the items on here.Was at King Ted's 1954-5 and sailed 3 times on Wendorian,the last on a trip round to Brighton with Capt. Griffith's (& old Ted the cook.engineer!!!).Also spent many a day seamanship training rowing the whalers moored at the Discovery (remember climbing out along the midship boom and sliding down the rope).An interesting part of my life and one full of happy (but hard) memories.

#49 ·
Hi Graham-

Hi Geoff,

How's this for coincidence? Have just read your 'input' on the Wendorian and then noticed when I posted my comments. Precisely one year ago, to the day! Who did you serve your time with and did you 'see it through' to Masters?

GTP
(Read)Only found this site by mistake whilst trying to find old haunts and info covering my 9 years at sea.
No,did not make Masters- or for that matter 2nd Mates and left the sea at the time I should take the cert.Good old days and gave me all the resilience needed for a long working life as I have just retired from full time work at the age of 73+.
Served as 3rd and for about 2 months as 2nd with Temple Steamship.
Am still finding my way around this system and feel that a lot is missing as it appears there is no immediate access to current postings.
I have photo of my intiial trip on the wendorian in 1954 but little else other than the excitement and hard labour of lifeboat drills and Capt Miller addressing us on deck at 7:00am all wrapped up in jerseys etc. and him in his flannel pyjamas!! Impressed we were.. Geoff(Pint)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.