28K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  nauticalstyle 
#1 · (Edited)
Nieuw Amsterdam

courtesy of ageofsail.com

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
nieuw amsterdam

As reported earlier, the topsides were originally painted black and hereby some pics.

One picture is a promotional postcard from the H.A.L. and the other one , you see me sitting (thumb) with my younger brother, oh... oh , some 50 years ago.

You see the office building of the Holland Amerika Lijn in the background, just next to the bow.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
nieuw amsterdam

Hereby some pics after the topsides were painted grey.

Again one photo is a promotional postcard from the HAL and the other one I took in the 60's near Hook of Holland , the entrance port to Rotterdam.
A very nice photo actually with only one funnel producing some smoke.
(copyright)

Then a photo again of the model which is displayed in the Grand old building of Holland Amerika Lijn.
The latter has been converted into a hotel/restaurant called Hotel New York
(see photo on thread "Statendam")

Attachments

#9 ·
Another change that was made to the NIEUW AMSTERDAM was the removal of the ventilation slits on her main funnel... just like REX, they proved to be uneffective.
Included is a photo of her as built.

Best regards from Lisbon,
Paulo Mestre

Jan Hendrik said:
The Nieuw Amsterdam also changed her topside colour from black to grey in the late 60's .

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Ahoy,
Just got me some piccies of F.R.Sherlock[50p each,so a bargain](Thumb)
Here seen the NIEUW AMSTERDAM 1938 by courtesy/©F.R.Sherlock
Builder:Rotterdam Drydock Company, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Date of Build:1938
Vessel Name:Nieuw Amsterdam
Type of Vessel:Transatlantic passenger liner
Date Launched:10th April 1937
Launched by:HM Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands
Maiden Voyage:10th May 1938:
Rotterdam, the Netherlands to New York, USA via Boulogne and Southampton
Final Commercial Voyage:9th January 1974:
A cruise from Port Everglades to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal
Final Voyage:Los Angeles to Kaoshiung, Taiwan (where she arrived on the 25th February 1974
Location Scrapped:Kaoshiung, Taiwan
Date Scrapped:February to October 1974
Flag: Dutch
Port of Registry:Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Original Owners / Operators:Nederlandsch Amerikaansche Stoomvaart Maatschappij (NASM), Rotterdam i.e. Holland America Line, Rotterdam
Technical Statistics:
Length:758 ft
Breadth:88 ft
Gross Registered Tonnage:36,287 tons
Power:Single reduction geared steam turbines developing 34,000 h.p. driving twin screws
Propulsion:Two Propellers
Maximum Speed:22 knots
Service Speed:20 knots
Passengers & Crew:556 First Class, 455 Tourist Class, 209 Third Class and 700 crew

Attachments

#14 ·
Ahoy,
Just got me some piccies of F.R.Sherlock[50p each,so a bargain](Thumb)

Ruud,

Sadly Roger Sherlock passed away a couple of years ago. He was a brilliant photographer. I believe his sone now manages the collection.

And what a great photo of Nw A. I was fortunate to have been able to visit this ship many times in Bermuda in the 1960s. Her cruise director was a friend of my father. Bob Smith... he was Cruise Director in the MORRO CASTLE when she burned in 1934.

Stephen

#16 ·
Ahoy Stephen,
Sorry to hear that Mr.R.Sherlock passed away,R.I.P;indeed a very good outstanding photographer,unfortunately only got 20+ photos from an auction,don't think his son will sell them for 50p a piece,wish this could be true.
* I've watched your collection as well, and I must admit, wonderful paintings.
Real "masterpieces"

http://www.vdleek.nl/Art/Card/Card-1.html

#19 ·
Ruud,

Many thanks your kind comments re the paintings. Hope you found the rest of the contents of Willem's Maritime Pages interesting as well. I've just completed my painting of BLIJDENDYK.... the first one for the new EURODAM. I'm useless at working out how to post the images. I'll send a copy to Willem and hopefully he can post for me.

As I mentioned to Willem, I'll be in Rotterdam in July. We should all meet up and have a Grolsch or three. You will like Willem. Very fine fellow. Of course he did sail in the old ROTTERDAM, but we don't need to hold that against him!

Stephen

#21 ·
Thanks Jan,

I try to include as many old ships as I can in the HAL series. It is not a random selection, but rather there is a reason for each vessel shown as 'background'.

Ie in the painting of the AMSTERDAM III off Gobraltar, I have included a few of my old ships... SCOTSPARK, POLAR URUGUAY, SEVONIA TEAM & WARWICK FORT.

For the EURODAM series I will paint:

1. EURODAM showing the Euromast, Parkade, Spido etc.
2. ROTTERDAM arriving New York c. 1961,
3. RYNDAM arrivng Southampton c. 1954
4. ROTTERDAM in Bermuda with tender WOODSIDE c. 1938
5. NIEUW AMSTERDAM outbound past Ambrose Lightship.
6. BLIJDENDYK approaching Maas Pilot Station c. 1950 (completed)

Stephen

#24 ·
Anyone have families that sailed on NA during WWII?

I'm looking for connections to people who have family that sailed on the SS Nieuw Amsterdam from its initial cruising through being used as a troop transport between 1939 and 1946. My Opa, Peter Geerlof was part of the crew. My father has started telling me stories his father told him about being on the ship. Opa apparently was in charge of Maintenance and also had master key to all rooms. Sometime during the war he apparently heard morse code, reported it to the Commander and ally soldiers captured 3 Nazi spies after he opened the door.

Anyone know or have heard any similar stories they want to share about this or anything else?

Many Regards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.