Ships Nostalgia banner

Reefers Loch Lomond/Loch Marie

59K views 177 replies 36 participants last post by  August M 
#1 ·
Gents

Looking for any photos of the above vessels to complete a folio of ships I sailed on for my son. I sailed on them last when renamed Langelle and Fastelle

Gdynia

#11 ·
Boy, did these ships have histories!

Without naming all owners names & flags here's how they went:

LOCH LOMOND 1975
AL ZAHRA 1981
FASTELLE 1984
GEESTHAVEN (2) 1986
STAR HAVEN 1993
PACIFIC KORU 1996
MARY K 1997 (this name was probably never officially used)
PATAGONIAN PRIDE 1997
As PATAGONIAN PRIDE vessel was detained for 192 days in Gdynia due severe structural defects in 1998
PATAGONIAN PRIDE was scrapped in India & arrived Alang 12.12.2000.

LOCH MAREE 1976
AL SALAMA 1981
LANGELLE 1984
GEESTCAPE (2) 1986
EASTCAPE 1993
PACIFIC GALA 1996
CLAIRE S 1997
RIO ***** VALLEY 1997
ICE MUSIC 2000 & scrapped as reported above.

The really tough time for these ladies was when they were in the ownership of Jimmy Jacoumis with some partners who lost a lot of money with their involvement.

Keep it cool!

#13 ·
Ahoy,

At one of my searches, found this one, don't know the sources,if it's yours, please feel free to say so, and I will credit this piccie to you.

Attachments

#18 ·
Loch Lomond

I sailed on Loch Lomond (2nd Phase Deck Cadet) Have got some very nice 35mm slides of Loch Lomond up in the attic (including one featured on back cover of Denholm News Winter/Spring 1980 edition). Just bought copier to copy them to disc and will post photos once I find out how to use the thing.

#19 ·
pentlandpirate said:
I sailed on Loch Lomond (2nd Phase Deck Cadet) Have got some very nice 35mm slides of Loch Lomond up in the attic (including one featured on back cover of Denholm News Winter/Spring 1980 edition). Just bought copier to copy them to disc and will post photos once I find out how to use the thing.
Ahoy Mike,

Looking forward to the results of these scans, hope you will succeed.

#20 ·
Hi Ruud,

Am looking forward to being able to do something with all those slides. My wife and kids dread it when I say, "Anyone want to see what life was like at sea!"

If anyone interested, I should have decent photos of Denholm Ship Management ships, Wellpark, Loch Lomond, Coastal Corpus Christi, Nordic Clansman and a couple of Conon Forest (Havrais), and Gothia Team. Think I have a few Instamatic (remember those?) photos of Sevonia Team too somewhere.

Also have copies of Denholm News if anyone trying to find old stories:
Winter 1977/78
Spring 1978
Autumn 1978
Winter 1978/79
Spring/Summer 1979
Autumn 1979
Winter/Spring 1980
Summer 1980
Summer/Autumn 1981
Winter/Spring 1981

#21 ·
pentlandpirate said:
Hi Ruud,

Am looking forward to being able to do something with all those slides. My wife and kids dread it when I say, "Anyone want to see what life was like at sea!"

If anyone interested, I should have decent photos of Denholm Ship Management ships, Wellpark, Loch Lomond, Coastal Corpus Christi, Nordic Clansman and a couple of Conon Forest (Havrais), and Gothia Team. Think I have a few Instamatic (remember those?) photos of Sevonia Team too somewhere.

Also have copies of Denholm News if anyone trying to find old stories:
Winter 1977/78
Spring 1978
Autumn 1978
Winter 1978/79
Spring/Summer 1979
Autumn 1979
Winter/Spring 1980
Summer 1980
Summer/Autumn 1981
Winter/Spring 1981
Ahoy Mike,
Yep we love to see them,post as most possible, always good to see other views of vessels/life on board; as for your wife & kids: 'Thanks to this life at sea, they gratitude this life nowadays living.
Yeah remember those Kodak Instamatics, handy cameras in those days, with those Square Blue Bulb Flashes on top of it.

#23 · (Edited)
lochmaree/lomond

anyone that was with denholms will have these books i know i,ve still got mine,i was on maree while she was getting built in scouston marine hull no 206, i,ve got black and white ariel pics of most of denholms ships round the 1977/78 onwards got them from marion a PA with someone in office, frank mcneilage rings a bell ? they were throwing them out!!!! it is true what keith denholm says anyone that was on these ships wanted back i know i did,when i sailed on her in 1978,hes renamed some new bulkies after them though they look more like troll ships. jc 1963 was it hard back or paper those denholm news .i worked in glasgow office while on leave ,but never found out whom or where they were made do u know?

#24 · (Edited)
harbour bar golfito

just remembered, does anyone remember ch/eng,dave bissett and deacon from loch boats around 78/79 ,think it was capt bell at the time (remember wilma the nav cadet ,thats for him) also capt harvey with the gold tooth or even mike pride 2/eng, an x denholms blueyed cadet, think but not sure became M.D. of denholm ship management just before it merged to become anglo seboard?.around 2000.anyone with any info on these chaps? it true what they said i was on her 6months and asked to stay another 6 only to be told no most dissapointing wonder whats happing in golfito now or pt limon

#109 ·
just remembered, does anyone remember ch/eng,dave bissett and deacon from loch boats around 78/79 ,think it was capt bell at the time (remember wilma the nav cadet ,thats for him) also capt harvey with the gold tooth or even mike pride 2/eng, an x denholms blueyed cadet, think but not sure became M.D. of denholm ship management just before it merged to become anglo seboard?.around 2000.anyone with any info on these chaps? it true what they said i was on her 6months and asked to stay another 6 only to be told no most dissapointing wonder whats happing in golfito now or pt limon
No it was not the Harbour Bar, it was the famous knocking shop !Emmas Bar!
just aft of where we used to tie up, excellently described by (pentalndpirate)
I was the Catering officer on the Loch Maree for over 4 good years, had a great time, remember Bill Harvey and the John Deacon very well, Mike pride and Dave Bisset also, if you can remember some of the other names please come back to me. I was on her when she was handed over to Wallem Ship Management in Sharjah 1981.

Regards,

Spence Lewis.

#25 ·
Harbour bar, Golfito

Harbour bar, Golfito? Was that the place with the bar down stairs, and the knocking shop upstairs, which was open to the rafters and split into lots of individual cubicles, where (if you were lying on your back with your eyes open: best not done!) you could see the rats running round the top of the partitions and hear your shipments working off their energy nextdoor? Harbour bar, Golfito....never heard of it!!!

Golfito......such fond memories.

As`we pulled up the hook leaving Golfito on Loch Lomond I discovered we had a 25 ft steel barge sat evenly across both flukes. I'm sure there was nothing below us when we let go coming into port! Remember a turtle eating a bunch of floating bananas in the port..............

#26 ·
Harbour bar,

Golfito......such fond memories.

As`we pulled up the hook leaving Golfito on Loch Lomond I discovered we had a 25 ft steel barge sat evenly across both flukes. I'm sure there was nothing below us when we let go coming into port! Remember a turtle eating a bunch of floating bananas in the port..............

During one call at Golfito I asked one of the formen stevedore if it would be possible to 'borrow' a boat for a few hours. We had just finished a massive painting job and the ship was immaculate from stem to stern. The foreman told me that he had a nice 21 foot runabout that he would loan to me. In damn quick time Bill Harvery and myself were down on the jetty with all the swimming gear and a half case of ale... all ready for an afternoon cruise. Well, first setback was that we couldn't have the boat unless we took a drive. We went out... past the ship... took a nice set of photos and then we were unceremoniously dumped back on the jetty. We didn't even have time to open the ale. Bummer!

Stephen

#27 · (Edited)
boat ride

stephen ,i seem to recall a rubber boat with a johnston outboard onboard the maree that the crew use to jaunt about in while in port, dont know if lomond had one to?we called it the captains yacht.(Jester) .talking of the lomond or was it the maree did one of them had a slight collinsion up some river left a slight scar in the ships side that never got repaired over the years only painted do you recall?

#28 ·
stephen ,i seem to recall a rubber boat with a johnston outboard onboard the maree that the crew use to jaunt about in while in port, dont know if lomond had one to?we called it the captains yaught.(Jester) .talking of the lomond or was it the maree did one of them had a slight collinsion up some river left a slight scar in the ships side that never got repaired over the years only painted do you recall?

Nope, the LOMOND never had the jolly boat. A pity!

LOCH MAREE was the one that collided with the nuclear power station in Antwerp. Gave her a nasty gash on her bow plating and crush the solid bulwarks on both sides of the main deck. Somre two years later I had to 'bribe' the Lloyds surveyor into telling the super that the damage had to be repaired. It was.

While the MAREE was having her 'incident' I was already in drydock on the LOMOND... six week in dock repairing a bent rudder for our own 'incident'. We ran aground stern first when coming up the locks. Engine went full astern and we couldn't stop her. Hit the bank doing about twelve knots astern. The rudder ended up looking like a banana. A real mess.

Stephen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.