Ships Nostalgia banner

Bankline Menu Holder

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Alistair Macnab 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Can see it now - stuck on a fork, and starting - '' pea soup and sippits '' If there was mixed grill, the fridge had had a clean out!

On some Bankboats the apprentices were given the task of typing the menus, and we prided ourselves on the little flourish at the end, just after cheese and biscuits, looking like this --------------ooo OOO ooo------------------

#5 ·
Yep, fork tines were the thing then, menus were pretty much of a muchness, but the food was good. I don't think I ever was on a Bank boat where the food was anything but good.

Teviotbank had proper little holders, but I can't think what they were made of. Not silver or silver plate.

#7 ·
All new ships were provided with little clear plastic clip-type menu holders with the houseflag embosed on them with 'Bank Line' under the flag. I don't recall that replacements were ever requisitioned and I imagine that these were good souvenir items for snaffling along with the crested teaspoons! The end result was, as has been said, a menu card held out on the end of a fork!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.