Ships Nostalgia banner

Blue Funnel Photographs.

60K views 74 replies 51 participants last post by  Martin neale 
#1 · (Edited)
undefinedundefinedundefined

I have a good selection of Blue Funnel and Straits Steamship also Clan Line Photographs if any one is interested and can scan any or most of what may be required.
I also write for the website www.merchantnavyofficers.com and am the admin'or for Blue Funnel, Straits Steamship and Clan Line.

I am also a member of The Blue Funnel Association. Anyone needing info on the Association please contact me by E mail.

#3 ·
OK David. I will get them going for you as soon as I can settle on this board. I have all the pictures and I know you are talking about the last Priam Class..After my Time. !!!!! Funnel on wrong end.!!! At the moment am having a lot of problems with user name and password, so bear with me.

John.

#7 ·
Capt. Bax. Retd. said:
OK David. I will get them going for you as soon as I can settle on this board. I have all the pictures and I know you are talking about the last Priam Class..After my Time. !!!!! Funnel on wrong end.!!! At the moment am having a lot of problems with user name and password, so bear with me.

John.

funnel on the wrong end? john what about "centaur" ha ha!!! you can't escape the "ferret"!!!!!

#8 ·
Hello.

Re CENTAUR, she was special, the others, before our time my friend (The Good Times.) Am going to put one of "Our" HECTOR up soon. The one at Port Melbourne.

Maybe someone out here knows where we can find a picture of JALAWAR and NORTH STAR. The first vessels of the what became Clan Line.Welcome aboard FERRET. We been together a long time, got to keep the Tabnabs fresh. !!!

#11 · (Edited)
Hector

The Hector was my first ship, I joined her in Hull on December 19th 1968. She had just arrived from Australia for the last time, as she would be running to the Far East from then on. We discharged meat at Hull, Bremen, and K.G.V dock London, before we sailed to Glasgow, where we spent about a month, fitting her with deep tanks, for latex. I paid off in Birkenhead on February 9th 1969. I did do a trip Far East on her, as J.O.S. from June 29th to October 2nd 1970, she was on the Bangkok run, but that’s another story. All the best, Tony Jones, R867015.

Attachments

#46 ·
The Hector was my first ship, I joined her in Hull on December 19th 1968. She had just arrived from Australia for the last time, as she would be running to the Far East from then on. We discharged meat at Hull, Bremen, and K.G.V dock London, before we sailed to Glasgow, where we spent about a month, fitting her with deep tanks, for latex. I paid off in Birkenhead on February 9th 1969. I did do a trip Far East on her, as J.O.S. from June 29th to October 2nd 1970, she was on the Bangkok run, but that’s another story. All the best, Tony Jones, R867015.

You must know Joe Bates {Bosun}then. Joe had a dislike of Junior Ordinary Seamen -but was a very good bosun to his men. I remember Joe giving off the the Mate who had challenged him about "knocking " the men off early. Joe offered the "keys" to the Mate who declined. Joe ran "the crowd" on the Hector and no one else. He was on the Hector for 19 years I think. I was with him on the first trip on the Eastern run - he always bragged about his "aussie men" being far superier to "you f------ eastern men". He loved to brag about the stamina of his aussie men - how they would party all night on the aussie coast and still be up for stations in the morning. No "eastern man" could hold a candle to this type of individual.

I'm almost certain that it was on his first trip out East on the Hector (I was AB) he fell to the charms of the jacob ladder girls in Bangkok. He did not arise until well after midday - by which time the Mate had knocked us all off except for the deck watch.

A damn fine bosun though.

BW Sean

#12 ·
I was Senior Midshipman on HECTOR from 16-5-61 'til 21-8-61. A truly magnificent passenger/cargo liner in her time. Among many fond memories of the voyage was the Captain's farewell to the Mersey pilot...."Cheerio pilot, see you on the evening tide of 15th August". And he did,too !!! . Some ETA..Some schedualing...Some ship.!!!!
Subsequent voyages on ships of other companies operating under the same conference took 5 months minimum for the same voyage.

#14 ·
I sailed on "HECTOR" as junior engineer from 3-1-66 to 12-11-66 on the Australian service.
I then joined the "ULYSSES" on 4-1-67 and sailed with her from Glasgow to Houston where she took up service on the Blue Sea Line service. I remained with her until signing off in New York on 18-12-67.
Although totally different, these were two magnificent steam turbine vessels.
I particularly remember we would crack open "the extra six" nozzles on the homeward run on "HECTOR" when in the Red Sea in order to be certain not to miss the next northbound convoy through the Suez canal.
Would be good to hear from any others who were on those vessels at that time.

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
R651400 said:
...and here she is, but which port?

Was it Sydney ???

I remember our first port of call was Freemantle.We had just tied up alongside and finished stations when the ship lurched forward and bounced violently on the springs,breaking an 8inch headline. A ship berthing astern of us had given us a hefty clout on the starboard quarter and left its breastplate in one of the crews' toilets. A Chinese fitter ,who happened to be sitting on the throne at the time ,told the accident investigator..."That was the best raxative I've ever had in my rife"

#18 ·
Hi Capt.
I was in Riversdale in the early 60s and knew a lot of the Blue Flu chaps ( Mostly Engineers but some Midshipmen too ) There was an instuctor at Aulis Capt . Rooney and an engineering Supt from Dundee by the name of
Gillespie . Perhaps you would know them ??? Derek ( from Brocks )

#66 ·
Blast from the Past

b
The Super from Dundee was a chap called Dalglish ( Not Gillespie ) He was for some reason feared by all the engineer apprentices . Derek
Ian Dalglish ended up as the marine superintendent {engineering} I met Ian some years after leaving Blue Funnel to join Liverpool City Police when my nephew wanted to join the company as an engineer, and he asked me if I could vouch for him. Regards Sam Prowting

#21 ·
Sailed on the HECTOR

I sailed on the Hector 1971 home trade as a peggy, She was my second ship.
Liverpool to Belfast..I got hit in the leg by a hatch board and payed off in Belfast.Then off to the Autolycus one H/T and 3 Far East trips.
Bluey's I sailed on Clytoneus, Hector, Autolycus, Patroclus, Philocaties, Hector (maiden Voyage bulker) Ascanius,Atreus, Antilochus, Lycaon
ED's Egori, Dumurra, Fourah Bay,Forcadas, Dixcove
OCL. Tokyo Bay
Glen. Glenogle.
Good old days
Cheers
Kevin Radford R904927
Pilot

#67 ·
hi re protoclus

I sailed on the Hector 1971 home trade as a peggy, She was my second ship.
Liverpool to Belfast..I got hit in the leg by a hatch board and payed off in Belfast.Then off to the Autolycus one H/T and 3 Far East trips.
Bluey's I sailed on Clytoneus, Hector, Autolycus, Patroclus, Philocaties, Hector (maiden Voyage bulker) Ascanius,Atreus, Antilochus, Lycaon
ED's Egori, Dumurra, Fourah Bay,Forcadas, Dixcove
OCL. Tokyo Bay
Glen. Glenogle.
Good old days
Cheers
Kevin Radford R904927
Pilot
hi, i see from your post you sailed on the protroculas? i am just looking for ny old ship mates of my dads ANTHONY DOYLE went by the name of TONY? from birkenhead as ive been told he sailed that same ship. I know he travelled to singapore as he did say. do you remember him? regards

#22 · (Edited)
Hi, sailed on the Theseus in 1962 as second trip jos. signed on birkenhead 20/08/62. signed off 06/01/63. we did the usual far east run and then back to singapore for orders. left singapore for java, then we went to brisbane newcastle sidney melbourne and finaly albany for whale oil. while berthing in albany the tug hit us very hard about the middle of the after well deck and left a whopper of a dent i remember we had to shift cargo so a cement box could be fitted sailed for aden and then the continent before going home what a brilliant trip. 4 mths - 23 days. does anybody remember the voyage. regards allan

#24 ·
Derek Roger said:
Hi Capt.
I was in Riversdale in the early 60s and knew a lot of the Blue Flu chaps ( Mostly Engineers but some Midshipmen too ) There was an instuctor at Aulis Capt . Rooney and an engineering Supt from Dundee by the name of
Gillespie . Perhaps you would know them ??? Derek ( from Brocks )
Captain Rooney was Terence C Rooney.
Terry served his time with Gibbs of Cardiff and was later with Smiths, he was 2nd Mate of "Cornish City" on my first trip early in 1956; he was in charge of the crew party travelling via Liverpool St, Harwich to Rotterdam, a lively experience as I recall. He was later with Moss Hutch and went into nautical education. He became a promionent member of the N.I. and HCMM in S. Wales, he is now retired in Dinas Powys.

#25 ·
Blue Funnel Eng. Supts.

Derek Roger said:
The Super from Dundee was a chap called Dalglish ( Not Gillespie ) He was for some reason feared by all the engineer apprentices . Derek
There were two Engineer Superintendents that attended ships in Glasgow in 1960/61
One was (I think) a Mr Gilchrist. The other I do remember was a Mr Christian.
He probably terrified Blue Funnel engineers, he certainly terrified contractors.
In Glasgow there would normally be G & J Weir and Clyde Blower (sootblower makers) on board the P and H class turbine steamers. Mr Chistian would demand to know what we were working on and how many men were doing it.
Such was the power and reputation of Blue Flue at that time that on being allocated our jobs for the day we would leave Cathcart with the final words of Andy Stevens the Weir Outside Works Manager ringing in our ears " any complaints from the ship and you will be up the road" - (sacked)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.