Ships Nostalgia banner

Manchester Zeal

15K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Man of chester 
#1 · (Edited)
Manchester Zeal at Piraeus

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The Vigour and the Zeal both spent most of thier lives around the Mediterranean. I was never lucky enough to see these two.

They still had Crossley Pielsticks but of a smaller capacity than the Magic Boats, a single 'V' 12 as opposed to two 'V' 18's, and they were run on diesel fuel rather than heavy fuel oil. Consequently they were described as sewing machines as opposed to DP (Designed Pitch) being used to refer to Dead Pielsticks!

#4 ·
I seem to recall one or both of these two ships finding their way out to Australia on charter during the 1970's - I can picture the "Vigour" alongside No.12 North Quay, Fremantle.

I remember an ex-Manchester Liners colleague of mine being quite excited about seeing his old company so far from home and actually meeting some of his pals from his ML apprenticeship days.

-----------------

Mike.

#7 · (Edited)
I did the maiden voyage on the Zeal from Europe to the USAgulf ports in 1974 . I think the Vigour did 1 voyage to Australia when she was new before heading back to Europe. I rember doing 2 trips on the Zeal a charter from Europe to Newark , NJ during winter time , not a pleasant experience at all !!
Colin

#9 ·
i also did the maiden voyage on the zeal we joined her in appledore then further fitting in falmouth i remember we went to new orleans also mobile and the bahamas and florida a great trip i was a ab on her we went down to join her on a coach from manchester

#12 ·
manchester vigour & zeal

I worked on both of these at appledore shipbuilders.I seem to remember that they were built without a foc,sle but after an atlantic trip they had a foc,sle deck fitted at falmouth docks.Can anyone confirm this? Nice to know they are still around even if one of them does smell a bit of livestock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.