Ships Nostalgia banner

Cotswold Prince

15K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Landlubber 
#1 ·
A somewhat forlorn looking "Cotswold Prince" photographed in Launceston, Tasmania in April 1996.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good day from Aadje ( Adriaan Motz ) Rotterdam/nl.
I remember this vessel, as liner agent Hudig & Pieters in rotterdam for Prince Line, in much beter shape than shown on your photo.
Was this the end of vessel's life ?
Pleased to hear and do you have more photo's of other prince lnes vessels ?
Thanks and bregards
aadje

#4 ·
COTSWOLD PRINCE arrived in Napier, NZ on 23 April 1979 from Manchester as FIJIAN. She traded under this name from Onehunga to Suva & Lautoka.
In December 1981, she was renamed ONEHUNGA and entered the New Zealand coastal trade.
Withdrawn in December 1982 and after survey was renamed FIJIAN and re-entered the Onehunga - Fiji trade.
In 1989 she was renamed COTSWOLD PRINCE.
Laid up in Nelson in March 1992 badly rusted and decks considerably worn.
Sold to L.D. Marine & Ship Repairs, Launceston, Tasmania and sailed from Nelson 22 January 1993 having been granted a single voyage permit due to her extremely poor condition.
Some work was undertaken on her after her arrival in Launceston, but when I saw her in 1996 it was evident that none had been done for some time. (See photos above).
In her later years at Launceston, she was moved around a bit from wharf to wharf and eventually to an anchorage in the Tamar River.
Sold 2004 to (reportedly) Indian breakers at Mumbai. Sailed from the Tamar River on 21 July 2004 bound for India, calling at Albany (WA) for fuel and supplies.
Arrived Albany on 9 August 2004 for engine repairs expected to keep her there for approx. 2 weeks. She was still there on 13 September when she moved from her berth to an outer anchorage.
She just doesn't want to go to the breakers............

More photos of her at Launceston and as FIJIAN and ONEHUNGA are available if anyone wants to see them.

Can anyone tell me anything of her career whilst under Prince Line ownership?

#7 · (Edited)
Ahoy,

Found this piccie, and she reminded me that there was a thread on her, so here your Cotswold Prince,.....>>> Paul
Name:COTSWOLD PRINCE
Type:General Cargo
Owner:prince Line Ltd..London
Builders:Clelands S.BCo.Ltd.,Wallsend.[316]
Launched:17-09-1970
Delivered:12-1970
GRT:1459
NRT:689
DWT:2596
Call Sign:GNAW
O.N.:341193
Loa/bp:86.87/81.01m
Breadth oa 14.43m
Depth mld:7.75m
Draught:5.074
Engines:Oil 4SA 9 Cy.318x368mm 2.460bhp
English Electric-RUSTON diesel
Spd:13½kn.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Joined her as the Onehunga on the 22 1 82 paid off on the 22 9 82 . A hell of a few months up and down the N.Z coast allways remember the c/o had not been to sea for twenty odd years ,had been a school teacher, not a thing worked on her from lifeboats to the engines, when she whent back to the Fijian ,thay crossed the bar at Onehunga , and lost a man, left the engine room fiddle open on the poop.

#9 ·
I sailed on her between sept 74 to jan 75 one of my best ships, we did Gib Malta, Cyprus then Israel, then Turkey a place called Iscaderrun (i think that's how you spell it) then back home. next trip we did Gib,Tunis,Malta,Cyprus, Beiruit,and Alexandra, took naffi stores to Gib and Cyprus, brought oranges home from Alex to Dover.We had a great crew all went ashore together, drank together on board, only about 16 crew all good lads from captain down.(Brian Walmsley was his name, a real gentleman)Such a pity to see the state she was in before going to scrap, we had her looking great not a rust spot anywhere, she was so easy to work, a real pleasure.As i say one of my best ships many happy memories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.